Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Ulanzi iPad Pro tripod mount

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by FundyBrian, 3 December 2018.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve been looking for a while for a good tripod mount for my iPad Pro 12.9”. The size rules out most of the tripod mounts available. Most of them are just made of plastic and that doesn’t inspire much confidence.

I finally found something made of all aluminum and I’m pretty happy with it.

Try this out. Start up your Amazon app and just type Ulanzi in the search field. You will find a surprising array of quality metal, aluminum, accessories for iDevices. All sorts of tripod mounts brackets, video attachments, ball heads, etc. I never heard of Ulanzi before but the two items I bought were definitely good quality. Well designed, manufactured and finished.

The tripod mount I got is called Ulanzi aluminum iPad Pro tripod mount. I got it for $49 Cdn. During the Black Friday sales, although no mention was made of it being on sale.
    To finish I need to switch to my iPad for the pics.
    4A4C5F28-D4A5-4F2D-8C76-760204210CB5.jpeg
    9634222E-EBB3-4AF5-858D-1ABF6E350477.jpeg
    If you read carefully in the product info or check the dimensions in the screen shot above you will discover that it only fits the iPad Pro 12.9” across the narrow dimension because the jaws only open to 9.96” and it needs to open to at least 12” for the big iPad. That doesn’t concern me much because the mount is plenty sturdy enough to hold the iPad sideways. Plus, the main tripod head mounting point I plan to use is the one on the back.
    If you check the upper screen shot you can see they point out the tripod mount at the bottom as well as the Arca-Swiss style attachment to fit their quick release ball head fitting. Several other manufacturers have adopted this mounting system so it is fairly common. One of my tripods uses this style of mount. Fortunately, the one I planned to use with the iPad.

The thing I find inexplicable is that the very same item appears at least 3 times on the page of Ulanzi items on Amazon with prices ranging from $49.00 Cdn. to $78.00 to $120.00. They all look the same to me and the dimensions match. The only thing different is the name. The one I bought was called Ulanzi aluminum iPad Pro tripod mount. Another is called U-Pad and the other is i-Pad (without the Pro).

It will fit an iPad with a slim case but my case is a bit thicker because of the stand bracket on the back. I ended up modifying the bottom jaw to fit my thicker case and now it works well.

Last edited: 3 December 2018
    ImageArt likes this.
  2. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I have a couple of Ulanzi products on my wish list. It’s quite bizarre that there are so many products that look exactly the same but the prices and branding are so different. I have just bought a cheap backup golf trolley that varies from £32-£55.

When I gave my mobile photography course I extolled the Shoulderpod which is a whopping £41 but I see copycats which look just as good for £10 and have the advantage of a mounting shoe at the top which the Shoulderpod doesn’t have.

FundyBrian, RoseCat and terse like this.
  3. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I think that just about every product could be improved if more people tried the prototypes before rushing into production. The copycat people have the advantage of being able to work with a final product and then improve upon it.

ImageArt likes this.
  4. Lzed

Lzed MobiStaff Site Staff

Larry Zasitko
    Device:
    iPad
    Amazon is packed with the same item with different prices, why I don’t know for sure but as always do the research before taking the first one that pops up...

FundyBrian likes this.