Underexposed rizole.

Fascinating! Had no idea of their origins.

Me either. So that's why the standard loofah comes in that long shape.
For most of my life I had some vague idea they were something aquatic.
They're often described as a type of sponge and sponges are simple tubular things without much obvious structure siphoning the sea water for food.

For most of my life I had some vague idea they were something aquatic.
They're often described as a type of sponge and sponges are simple tubular things without much obvious structure siphoning the sea water for food.
That’s what I thought too! Until my friend grew them last year.

So I sing in Take it to the Bridge pop choir. We do, mainly, 80's pop hits, it's a couple of months rehersal and a gig in June. It's my second year doing it. This second year started in 2020 and finished in 2023 because Covid.

I'm also the videographer and editor for the gig. It's my second year of that too. This year I used 8 cameras, 4 of which were mobile phones, to get the footage. Take it to the Bridge is a sideline sort of thing but the Musical Arranger and the Director who have proper jobs. They bring their A game to the process so I'm very keen to do as good a job as I can for the video.

This year I discovered...
  • Good mobiles do significantly better than mid range camcorders for clarity and picture quality
  • Good mobiles do significantly worse than mid range camcorders in low light levels and also zoomed
  • Post correction of video is the same as single image correction
Seems the main difference between photography and videography is a time axis.

Here's Mobile and Camcorder in order for comparison...
View attachment 196355View attachment 196354

To me, the mobile (samsung s6) looks to have a better colour reproduction and more picture clarity.

The sound was recorded by Giles and I edited the video around that. I mostly did a straight edit as the music and performance is the gig, not the video, but I tried adding touches here and there.

This is Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles where I gave my creative side a little leaway.

Nice videography - arty without being OTT arty (*cough* I just read Ted’s ‘Mongolian Monks’ story)

I'm guessing the bright, block colours were an artistic decision rather than coincidence? Looks great - I like the way the eye is drawn not only across and up & down by the camera but also along lines of colour.
And it sounds great. Scuse my ignorance: is the sound recorded separately?

Nice videography - arty without being OTT arty (*cough* I just read Ted’s ‘Mongolian Monks’ story)

I'm guessing the bright, block colours were an artistic decision rather than coincidence? Looks great - I like the way the eye is drawn not only across and up & down by the camera but also along lines of colour.
And it sounds great. Scuse my ignorance: is the sound recorded separately?
Yes for the block colours. There's thought gone into the presentation, deportment and look of the thing.

Yes on the sound recording. Giles records it with some good quality audio gear and masters it on a computer.

There's a good set of resources to work with before that. Lyric sheets with vocal direction, music notation for each vocal part, mp3 teach tracks of each part in various arrangements to rehearse against and we're arranged in 2 blocks of each part so it's balanced for the audience.

With all that I knew which part(s) will be carrying the song and when. So planned out and wrote up some direction sheets for Lou, on the manned camera, to get the shots I wanted for inclusion into the video. It's a lot, but with lessons learned from last time I got better quality with less effort and already have next year pre-tought out off the back of this.

Warning~~~~
None of the following was taken by or edited on a mobile device.
Permission was not sought from the copywrite owners of the original images.
Veiwers of a nervous disposition and small children should proceed with caution.
~~~~/Warning

Christmas card retrospective

My youngest,
christmas.jpg

exmaz-2009.jpg

The gargoyle in the hat sits in the front window of one of the houses on the main street in my village. The background picture is from the top floor of the college building I work at.
xmas2013lg.jpg

The first appearence of the christmas pigeon.
xmas pigeon.jpg

Pigeon/T Rex crossover.
1702229980878.jpeg

Last edited:
The village christmas lights used drawings by local primary school kids for thier inspiration one year. As a family, we called this one the penguin robin.
xnas 2011.jpg

2016?
First apperence of T Rex. I learnt to use the photoshop puppet warp tool to get them posed for this.
T-Rex.jpg

Pigeon and T-rex in a monster rampage city destroying disaster movie.
xmas 19.jpg

ICM long exposure of our christmas tree.
Xmas 2010.jpg

Last edited:
bly didn’t have as good a university time as I should have, having gone to a uni in a different language and culture so I definitely prefer the older version!
I have so much respect for people who study and earn degrees/other qualifications in a second (or more) language. And if it’s a different language, then the culture is likely to be very different as well.
what did you study?

I have so much respect for people who study and earn degrees/other qualifications in a second (or more) language. And if it’s a different language, then the culture is likely to be very different as well.
what did you study?
I did a BA with Geography as my main subject. I went on to work in town planning and was going to do a masters in it but discovered I had a knack for computers while I was analysing census data so I ended up doing two years computer science remotely.

Luckily our text books were English otherwise it would have been really hard. I hardly understood a word in lectures for the first six months. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom