Untitled (006)

Kegrow

MobiFan
Real Name
Ken Rowe
IMG_5636_untitled 006.JPG

Untitled (006)
iPhone 4s/iPad 4
Camera+, Snapseed, iColorama, Repix, Filterstorm, Deco Sketch, Procreate.

As this is a major ongoing project for me I have decided to number the images sequentially, leaving specific titling for a later date. At this point in time I want to concentrate on creating the pictures and see where the project takes me. Which is pretty much how I process my paintings. There are a number of conceptual issues that have been at the forefront of my thinking in relation to the paintings and drawings that I have created over the last decade or so, issues that I can at a later stage, allow to infiltrate the work as it is created. Yeah I know, it all sounds so "arty farty", as they say here in Oz. Still, and ultimately, its always the final image that is of the most consequence, no matter how one arrives at it. And I am so loving the mark-making and layering that iPhone/iPad/apps, allows me to indulge in.

Fabulous Ken......nothing wrong with "arty farty". Are you in Australia ? I'm in WA.

I'm so loving this project. Really great paintings!!

Fabulous Ken......nothing wrong with "arty farty". Are you in Australia ? I'm in WA.
Hi Davinia,
Yes. I am in Wonthaggi, about 2 hrs SE of Melbourne. I'm from Swansea, South Wales, UK originally - arrived in Melbourne in 1967. My two daughters are in WA. Both up in Broome at the moment. So far away :(

I get accused of being arty farty too, but in Texas it's artsy fartsy. :). I start talking to family and their faces go blank, lol. That's why I love mobitog so much because so many here just get it. It's like walking into a lovely long conversation every time I long on. :). And we get to see such gorgeous edits like this one! Love this one too. I love all the subtle lines you put in your work, draws my eye through the piece masterfully.

What a fantastic project... :inlove: This piece is wonderful! Just love all the beautiful purple and lilac tones... and the fantastic bits of red and green. :notworthy:

I get accused of being arty farty too, but in Texas it's artsy fartsy. :). I start talking to family and their faces go blank, lol. That's why I love mobitog so much because so many here just get it. It's like walking into a lovely long conversation every time I long on. :). And we get to see such gorgeous edits like this one! Love this one too. I love all the subtle lines you put in your work, draws my eye through the piece masterfully.
Ohh, your very kind Valeri. That 'artsy fartsy' thing must be a worldwide phenomena, haha. Its great that the Mobitog community is able to approach work by its members with a level of sophistication in relation to their thinking about art. I have overheard some truly awful comments from people who were viewing my paintings at different shows, which are hurtful but understandable, when one realises that the comments emanate from a base of ignorance. And I don't mean that in a nasty way - its just that after talking to some of the people, they just don't have the level of art education that would enable the to "enter" the work. Sad really still, c'est la vie :)

Ohh, your very kind Valeri. That 'artsy fartsy' thing must be a worldwide phenomena, haha. Its great that the Mobitog community is able to approach work by its members with a level of sophistication in relation to their thinking about art. I have overheard some truly awful comments from people who were viewing my paintings at different shows, which are hurtful but understandable, when one realises that the comments emanate from a base of ignorance. And I don't mean that in a nasty way - its just that after talking to some of the people, they just don't have the level of art education that would enable the to "enter" the work. Sad really still, c'est la vie :)
Yes, here in Canada to it's artsy fartsy.
I have never really been into abstracts much but being on MobiTog I have found some that I really like so I find myself warming to them more. Yours above reminds me a lot of a couple paintings the people had up when we were looking at buying our current house. Not small art either the two paintings were 4' wide and floor to ceiling. They were very big into art and when we bought the house the whole house was light grey walls and grey carpet. Wish now that I had taken pictures before they took the art out. One was more watercolour but really nice, the other was thicker paint and looked like it was all done with a knife.
You have to understand that abstracts can be very personal and someone looking at them may just not get it, like me sometimes I see nothing in it that I can relate to so I don't really like it, where some I see something be it the colour, pattern, texture or something that appeals to me, sometimes I find it very hard to verbalize exactly what draws me to it.
Whoever made the comment wasn't thinking (seems to happen a lot these days) and just blurted it out, take it with a big grain of salt they may not have intended for anyone to hear.
I was out the other night sitting in a lawn chair with my iPad on the tripod and while some seemed curious one lady commented to her husband as they went past. The comment was innocent enough but it was the tone of her voice, like she was disgusted by it. I just laugh it off, I'm sure she didn't mean for me to hear her but I did (one part of me that's not falling apart yet :)) I shrug it off and now I can look back and laugh it off, although I didn't feel that way at the time.

Yes, here in Canada to it's artsy fartsy.
I have never really been into abstracts much but being on MobiTog I have found some that I really like so I find myself warming to them more. Yours above reminds me a lot of a couple paintings the people had up when we were looking at buying our current house. Not small art either the two paintings were 4' wide and floor to ceiling. They were very big into art and when we bought the house the whole house was light grey walls and grey carpet. Wish now that I had taken pictures before they took the art out. One was more watercolour but really nice, the other was thicker paint and looked like it was all done with a knife.
You have to understand that abstracts can be very personal and someone looking at them may just not get it, like me sometimes I see nothing in it that I can relate to so I don't really like it, where some I see something be it the colour, pattern, texture or something that appeals to me, sometimes I find it very hard to verbalize exactly what draws me to it.
Whoever made the comment wasn't thinking (seems to happen a lot these days) and just blurted it out, take it with a big grain of salt they may not have intended for anyone to hear.
I was out the other night sitting in a lawn chair with my iPad on the tripod and while some seemed curious one lady commented to her husband as they went past. The comment was innocent enough but it was the tone of her voice, like she was disgusted by it. I just laugh it off, I'm sure she didn't mean for me to hear her but I did (one part of me that's not falling apart yet :)) I shrug it off and now I can look back and laugh it off, although I didn't feel that way at the time.

Thanks very much Larry. I really enjoyed reading this. Before my "artistic conversion" I was very Philistine in my attitude to art, I must admit. To cut a long story short, (and with the help and support of a number of very dear people) I used art, and particularly drawing, to navigate an extremely dark chapter in my life. At about the same time I had an encounter with a small reproduction of a massive "hybrid abstraction" drawing in mixed media on paper done by Sigmar Polke, in a book about Postmodern drawing by Bernice Rose, who was at the time a Senior Curator of Drawings at MoMA in New York. The reproduction was only slightly wider than postcard size and the effect it had on me was profound. I had never seen anything like it in a work of art, and part of my "connection" with it had, for want of a better description, a deeply felt spiritual element. And it is this spirituality that drives most of my artistic pursuits. Dare I use the phrase "airy fairy" :) So, you're absolutely correct by saying that it is very personal. For each individual. And myself in particular. If someone else likes and enjoys, and gets something from my work, that's a significant added bonus for me :):)

Back
Top Bottom