Untitled (015) and Untitled (016)

Kegrow

MobiFan
Real Name
Ken Rowe
IMG_5714_8x10_Untitled 015.JPG

Untitled (015)
iPhone 4s/iPad 4
Camera+, Snapseed, Decim8, Handy Photo, Satur8, Glaze, Blender, Repix, Procreate.

I have had to take a break from mobile device and computing screens for a couple of days.:(Experiencing significant eye soreness. I have been using 'Tears' eyedrops and that helps. Ah well, its all good. Although I don't know how my addiction is going to hold up with lesser creative involvement. :)
Bit unsure about this one - its heavily apped (well, they all are really). A large part of my work with real life painting involved using a birds eye viewpoint and this kind of follows on from there. The thing I like most about this image is the 'tendrils' emanating from the shoreline in places if one reads the grey area as some sort of estuary or harbour. I can remember reading a book by Harry Harrison (Make Room, Make Room) many years ago, on which the film Soylent Green (a SciFi classic) was based. Both are quite prophetic regarding aspects of climate change. Actually Soylent Green would be a good title for this image.

IMG_5927.jpg

Untitled (016)
iPhone 4s/iPad 4
Camera+, Snapseed, Repix, Deco Sketch, iColorama, Handy Photo, Filterstorm, Procreate.

For many years I worked in the State Prison System, and after leaving I did many paintings and drawings based on my experiences within the prisons. The original image for this work was a small ink, acrylic, and graphite drawing I did last year. This is the B&W version. I have also done a colour version which is #020 to be posted later. This is the first digital image referencing a specific concept/series of paintings I have done in the past. Its also the first image that I have used written text to refer to the conceptual source. I have always enjoyed writing on artworks using the text as a compositional element as well as for creating 'clues' to their content. I studied Cy Twombly, a wonderful world class American painter (died recently unfortunately:() for all of my painting career, and he has always been something of a passive muse for me. People who know this artist will see his influence in this second work. Yeah, I know its messy:), (I like messy:cool:) and its more than likely not what many people would consider 'art', but then I have always been more about a personal self-expression and I make no apologies for that. I love this image. Already thinking about upping the resolution and a large printing on stretched canvas. Finances permitting of course. :):):)

Soylent Green would be the perfect title! :thumbs:

I'm really drawn to the second piece... I love "messy". The different bits of lines and shapes and textures you create all work so well together. It's what I aspire to do, and the sign of a true painter (which I am definitely NOT.)

And thank you for the interesting background notes... Fabulous work!

Soylent Green would be the perfect title! :thumbs:

I'm really drawn to the second piece... I love "messy". The different bits of lines and shapes and textures you create all work so well together. It's what I aspire to do, and the sign of a true painter (which I am definitely NOT.)

And thank you for the interesting background notes... Fabulous work!
Thanks very much Catherine. I ran an "Art from Intuition" class locally and with some students attending who had never painted before. And it was amazing the work that they produced once they let go of artistic 'stereotypes'. Truly wonderful drawings and paintings, that were marvellously expressive. Although they invariably liked what they produced, they couldn't see it how good it really was unfortunately. And the lack of self-belief, although understandable in these cases, was tragic I felt. One of my favourite quotes from Picasso is "it took me 4 years to paint like Raphael but a lifetime to paint like a child". And some of the most wonderful and expressive paintings and drawings I have ever seen have been on the walls of kids Primary Schools. :):):)

Thanks very much Catherine. I ran an "Art from Intuition" class locally and with some students attending who had never painted before. And it was amazing the work that they produced once they let go of artistic 'stereotypes'. Truly wonderful drawings and paintings, that were marvellously expressive. Although they invariably liked what they produced, they couldn't see it how good it really was unfortunately. And the lack of self-belief, although understandable in these cases, was tragic I felt. One of my favourite quotes from Picasso is "it took me 4 years to paint like Raphael but a lifetime to paint like a child". And some of the most wonderful and expressive paintings and drawings I have ever seen have been on the walls of kids Primary Schools. :):):)
Your class sounds wonderful! I completely agree - children are THE most creative and uninhibited... we adults can definitely learn from them. :)

Back
Top Bottom