MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
I'm in iTunes on my iMac and am updating the apps. Many of them look like the following. When I right-click on them it says the app could not be found. I'm thinking these are apps I deleted from my iPhone/iPad, but I would think they should still be in iTunes on my iMac?? :confused:

Also, when I click on them it says "Updating", so they exist somewhere.

Untitled.jpg

I cannot answer your question directly because I don't use iTunes to update my apps. However on your iOS device if you go to the App Store app, go to your purchased apps you'll see a column of apps on your iPhone apps and a column of apps not on your iPhone. (These are apps you have purchased and deleted.)Here at least you could confirm whether or not you've deleted the apps by looking in the column of apps not the on your phone

I cannot answer your question directly because I don't use iTunes to update my apps. However on your iOS device if you go to the App Store app, go to your purchased apps you'll see a column of apps on your iPhone apps and a column of apps not on your iPhone. (These are apps you have purchased and deleted.)Here at least you could confirm whether or not you've deleted the apps by looking in the column of apps not the on your phone
I know I've deleted these from my iPhone, but I was just wondering why they looked like this (missing their logo) in iTunes on my iMac... :confused:

I know I've deleted these from my iPhone, but I was just wondering why they looked like this (missing their logo) in iTunes on my iMac...
If these are apps that you purchased using your phone and only just transferred to your Mac, the missing icons could be iTunes taking its time to update the icons for the new stuff.

On the other hand, if these are apps you deleted from your Mac, it could be iTunes catching up with the changes.

Or it could be something else. I've sometimes seen generic icons like those in iTunes on my Mac and in App Store on my iPad, but it didn't seem to affect their operation or availability.

If, one way or another, the apps don't appear on your phone and don't appear in iTunes on your Mac, then in iTunes you can go to Accounts -> Purchased -> Apps -> Not in my Library to download any that you want to your Mac.

If these are apps that you purchased using your phone and only just transferred to your Mac, the missing icons could be iTunes taking its time to update the icons for the new stuff.

On the other hand, if these are apps you deleted from your Mac, it could be iTunes catching up with the changes.

Or it could be something else. I've sometimes seen generic icons like those in iTunes on my Mac and in App Store on my iPad, but it didn't seem to affect their operation or availability.

If, one way or another, the apps don't appear on your phone and don't appear in iTunes on your Mac, then in iTunes you can go to Accounts -> Purchased -> Apps -> Not in my Library to download any that you want to your Mac.
Thanks Ted! I'd have to look at them all, but I'm pretty sure they are apps that have been deleted from my iPhone and/or iPad. It wouldn't be recently as they were deleted from my 5S, so why my iMac wouldn't be caught up by now is a mystery. A few might be apps I deleted while in iTunes on my Mac because I knew I'd never use them... but that would have happened months/years ago.

Who knows and whatevs... :alien:

I bet you understood all that, too :inlove:

I just tell you that after one of the last updates I lost all my iTunes libraries :S

The music library keeps being a mess, fortunately I don't have many songs in it. I know already what to do but whatever.

Just after a few days I realised that all the iTunes library for the Apps was gone as well. No icons at all. So, basically, after talking with a Genius, whatever, I had to redownload all the apps from the "purchased" apps on iTunes.

290 apps. No comment!

I just tell you that after one of the last updates I lost all my iTunes libraries :S

The music library keeps being a mess, fortunately I don't have many songs in it. I know already what to do but whatever.

Just after a few days I realised that all the iTunes library for the Apps was gone as well. No icons at all. So, basically, after talking with a Genius, whatever, I had to redownload all the apps from the "purchased" apps on iTunes.

290 apps. No comment!
UGH!

I just realized that some text tones (that I had paid for in the iTunes Store) and a ringtone are missing from my new iPhone. I have to see if they're on my iMac... but everything should have transferred over.

PITA, I say.

OK, so the new iTunes has changed everything. Where is the place I backup my iPhone?
Where is iTunes Sharing?
Some of the camera apps that save in DNG do so only through iTunes sharing.
When I checked in iTunes help for iTunes Sharing I didn't find anything related to it. I don't use iclod because our satellite internet isn't up to the job.

OK, so the new iTunes has changed everything. Where is the place I backup my iPhone?
Where is iTunes Sharing?
Some of the camera apps that save in DNG do so only through iTunes sharing.
When I checked in iTunes help for iTunes Sharing I didn't find anything related to it. I don't use iclod because our satellite internet isn't up to the job.
I like "iclod" :lmao:

In the new iTunes 12.7 (that's what you're using?), you back up your phone same as always. Although you can't manage apps on your phone through iTunes any more, it still backs up apps the same way during a sync or a manual backup:

backup.jpg

For app file sharing, you should now see a File Sharing item in the lefthand sidebar when your phone is mounted:

sharing.jpg

I like "iclod" :lmao:

In the new iTunes 12.7 (that's what you're using?), you back up your phone same as always. Although you can't manage apps on your phone through iTunes any more, it still backs up apps the same way during a sync or a manual backup:

View attachment 99853

For app file sharing, you should now see a File Sharing item in the lefthand sidebar when your phone is mounted:

View attachment 99854

Thanks for this info. For some reason I couldn't get the Summary item to appear on the list. Without that you can't find the others. After I restarted I got more things to show up. I think part of my trouble was opening iTunes after I had a problem with Lightroom and got a system message indicating Lightroom was trying to use more RAM than I have. I have 32GB but activity monitor indicated it wanted 70GB and Lightroom "paused", according to the message and suggested I force quit the app. I should have restarted my computer right away but instead went to import the DNG photos from file sharing and then I couldn't find any of what I expected to see.

If you follow the link in iTunes "what's new in iTunes" there's a sentence that mentions the all new iOS App Store, but then it says this will
be available in iOS 11. This made me wonder about all the people not on iOS 11, for instance if you own devices that cannot be updated to iOS 11.
As much as I'm a big Apple fan this change to 12.7 is something I felt should have come with a warning that big changes were coming with 12.7 and advising you what they were before updating. I'm glad my MacBook Pro still has the old version and Fabi's Mac Mini, too. I think I'll wait a bit until things settle down before updating them.
One of the things I read was that the change in the iOS App Store was motivated by a security risk that with a particular app someone else could access your iTunes files on your computer to get at your Apple ID etc. Or something like that.
It would have been nice if Apple had filled the gap with a new iOS App Store app on your computer.

Back
Top Bottom