Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. GOT A NEW DEVICE? You lucky MobiMember - don’t forget to update your Profile!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading from 7+.....8+ or the X? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by Mary, 5 May 2018.

1. Mary

Mary MobiLurver

Mary Sherman
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    As stated above, Verizon has some deals going on and it's almost time for me to upgrade, (if I want). Any thoughts on the 8+ versus the X? Do I even need to upgrade at all?

RoseCat, Venomator and JillyG like this.
  2. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Well Mary, I’ve got the 8+ and I didn’t notice any real difference between it and the 7+ I had before, photo-wise. Rog has the X and I had to borrow it because I’d forgotten mine and I really liked the X. It seemed to me to be easier to make a better (sharper) photo than with mine, and it’s slightly smaller. Seeing them written down, my thoughts don’t seem to be all that coherent, but, if I had the choice, I would get the X if I was thinking of changing. But then, here on Mobi, there’s a thread about how it’s the photographer and not the camera that produces great images, so ... :confused:

3. Venomator

Venomator MobiAdmin Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    None of us ’need’to upgrade Mary, do we... :whistle:

But, if you want to and are able to, I would certainly make the X a first choice... :thumbs:

It is smaller than the Plus sizes but still has a bigger brighter screen... ;)

If you’re not sure though, why not pop along to your local Apple Store and heft them, or better still, find some friends/family closer by who have one of each and try them for size... :D

RoseCat and JillyG like this.
  4. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    What about the lack of a home button? My friend has the X and I don’t like that aspect, and the convoluted path you have to take to close out your open apps. :barf: I also think I would prefer fingerprint ID over facial recognition.

Venomator and JillyG like this.
  5. Mary

Mary MobiLurver

Mary Sherman
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes, all your points are well taken Cat. I could care less about the facial recognition. I wasn’t aware of the app closure issues. Not to mention the monthly payment is like $44! Maybe I just need to settle down for a while longer and enjoy what I already have. I’ll see if the prices come down in September when Apple does their announcing. Thanks for your thoughts.

6. Venomator

Venomator MobiAdmin Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Home button is redundant Cat, and not missed at all... :whistle:

And not at all sure why you suggest adios-ing open apps is a convoluted path? It may just be one extra step, but it hardly constitutes a convoluted path... :D

RoseCat, JillyG and Starzee like this.
  7. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I dunno... I’m not sold. :mobibabe: Granted, I’ve only messed with the X a couple times, but I didn’t like it and am hoping fervently that this isn’t the norm moving forward. :eek:

Ryn S, Venomator and JillyG like this.
  8. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I had every intention of getting either an 8 Plus or X when they came out. I was ready to upgrade my 7 Plus and pass it on to Fabi to replace her 6. I studied the tech specs closely and looked at all the comparative reports to decide which way to go. I learned that the only improvement with the 8 Plus camera was a slight improvement in low light performance, most likely only noticed in low light video. And the X camera is the same as the 8 Plus, although it has a couple of software additions to portrait mode. The bigger advancements with the X have more to do with other workings with the phone and display, but not the camera. The X is indeed an impressive piece of hardware but as yet it hasn’t reached the camera. Maybe next time.
    I concluded, with great disappointment, that I could spend a wad of cash and be no further ahead of where I already was with my 7 Plus. So I decided to wait and see what develops with the next iPhone models. We’re already half way to the next model year so why not wait and see what happens.

Realistically, all phones available now are suffering the same limitation of tiny sensor size, which is forced by the limited dimensions, especially thickness, of modern phones. They have pushed the limits of the tiny sensor as far as it will go at 12 Mega Pixels. Other cameras have tried to put more pixels into a tiny sensor but the image quality ended up being improved in the next model by reducing mega pixels.
    Making the sensor bigger is the first step to improving image quality. But as soon as that happens the rest of the camera has to get bigger, too, which will mean an untidy lump around the camera, thickness-wise.
    Likewise, we have seen the lens get a little wider angle as a way to reduce camera thickness. All phone/camera makers are struggling to get beyond this current impasse so at least we know there is a lot of research and development going into it.
    As we experienced with the 6 to 7 models, the camera improvement necessitated making the lens bigger, which in turn rendered all the existing lens attachments obsolete. Part of this was wider angle and part is the image stabilization operating in a bigger range. Vignetting of the corners was the biggest problem. The old lens attachments did not have sufficient covering power. The new ones have all been made bigger. So what will happen with the next camera improvement? I still haven’t got back to where I was with my add-on lenses.

Last edited: 12 May 2018
    dscheff likes this.
  9. Ryn S

Ryn S MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Ryn S
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve also looked over all the specs and am not sufficiently impressed to lay out another $1500 for the new phones. If upgrading, I’d go with xs+ at 512GB because I really hate running out of space. I’ve not come close yet with 256GB, but why not be sure for only $200 more? I don’t like facial recognition because the phone has to be ‘looking’ at you and that just feels very odd to me. It’s like having a peeping Tom looking in your window. But mostly, I’m bothered by the camera taking a bunch of photos and then taking all the best parts to create the best image. Isn’t that my job? Again, there’s just something that feels as if the new phones are more controlled by Apple than by the consumer and they really haven’t made enough hardware changes for me to be willing to part with my 7+ which is now paid for. I’ll wait. I’ll see if they come up with something really grand in 2019. I’m on iOS 12 and that seems to be where the biggest changes took place...and this year seemed to be far more about the watch than the phone, iPad or Mac.

RoseCat and ImageArt like this.
  10. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Yes, I feel the same. I want more camera hardware changes before I upgrade. I would like a smaller footprint phone though. The 7+ does feel a little too big for me.

RoseCat likes this.
  11. Starzee

Starzee BIG Font Junkie... MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    That’s why I got the X. I had a 7+ and felt like it was too big. The X is supposed to be smaller in size, but a larger screen than the 7. I thought it was at first, but now I want a plus size again. I just can’t see well enough to edit on the phone. I tried new glasses, but it it didnt’ help.:)

JillyG, ImageArt, Ryn S and 1 other person like this.
  12. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Yes, that’s pretty much my plan too.

ImageArt likes this.
  13. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Agree. I like the screen size of my 7+ but there’s a lot of extra real estate surrounding it that doesn’t need to be there, that’s for sure - makes it hard to hold in my hand.

ImageArt likes this.
  14. Ryn S

Ryn S
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Oooh, thank you for that! I was thinking about the size of the X also. I’ll dtickmwith the plus for sure now. In all honesty, I’ve sometimes thought I should just get Bluetooth ear phones and pay the extra for cellular on my iPad Pro and just skip the phone altogether. :lol:

Starzee, RoseCat and ImageArt like this.
  15. Ryn S

Ryn S
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    The plus is too big for my hand comfortably also, so I created a way to make it work for me. This is my phone case, it’s a UAG or AUG or some combo of those 3 letters. It had the two holes in it where I ran ribbon through it. I had to trim the camera opening to make it large enough to work for the 7+ double lenses.
    2701D050-460B-44DA-BE9F-74F99A5AABDA.jpeg
    For my iPad I went to two rings so that no matter which way it’s turned I can hang on to it easily.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjTgJSRvf7dAhWSUt8KHebUACAQwg8IJg&adurl=

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Amoner-Finge...cg6zws966mwu3ms_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=wireless
    Hope this is helpful :)

zenjenny, RoseCat and ImageArt like this.
  16. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I have Pay As You Go for my main phone with a little bit of monthly data and then my DH and I share a monthly contract data SIM which I use in my iPad Pro or we put it in a small pocket wifi device if we share it or if he wants it to go up to London etc. I have to say I love having a SIM in my iPad when I’m on the go. So often better than trying to connect to a local wifi which might be rubbish anyway.

Starzee, JillyG and RoseCat like this.
  17. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    It's a good plan if you can stick with it -- stay with what you have as long as you can and then jump forward as far as you can.

I'm in a bit different situation. Moving up from my 7 means getting a dual camera model, which will be very welcome for a lot of photos I take. And the price is not quite so high because the 64gb model is plenty for me. I do all my reviewing and editing on my iPad and always dump photos from my phone to the iPad at the end of every day.

18. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Yes, the Dual Camera means everything to me. It made a massive difference.

19. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Hmmm...I thought the 7 Plus had the dual camera - it looks like two lenses in an oblong shape. :confused: Or is this something else?

JillyG likes this.
  20. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    I have the iPhone 7 rather than the 7 Plus, so single camera only.

JillyG, ImageArt and RoseCat like this.
  21. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Now that’s just dumb. I thought the only difference was supposed to be the size. :rolleyes: Apple can really be annoying....

JillyG and ImageArt like this.
  22. terse

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Nope, and it's the same with the 8 and 8 Plus. I chose the plain 7 because of the size, and I'm likely to get an X or an XS rather than the XS Max for the same reason. On those, you do get the dual cameras, though.

RoseCat, JillyG and ImageArt like this.
  23. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Yes, it's the only reason I got the 7+. I compared Jilly's XS Max and it's the same size as the 7+. The X is sounding like a good choice to me, Ted, if it's a good price now.

terse, RoseCat and JillyG like this.
  24. Starzee

Starzee BIG Font Junkie... MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Ditto.

JillyG likes this.
  25. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran