Veevs Feed Us Tutorial on theappwhisperer.com

Joanne from the appwhisperer.com asked me if I could create a tutorial on how I created my Feed Us image. Tutorial was posted today :D

http://theappwhisperer.com/2012/03/...o-recreate-veevs-feed-us-pastel-styled-image/
I'm so happy you pasted that here so I could as you a questions:rolleyes:.. Here it is..

wait..let me show you..then ask

Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 6.54.43 PM.png
Were you using the mask effect to remove the " blue " from the birds ? I'm still struggling with " Mask" but your application has made the most sense...if I understand it correctly. I know what it is...but not clear on what is does..

Thanks

d

Hiya Delta :). When I blend two images in Iris I do that because I want some of the effects on the image but not on the whole image. That is when I then use the mask option, to erase the effects in part of the image. For the example above the seagull has got way too much of the filter and doesn't look right. So in Masking mode I lower the opacity and the brush size, then click on the brush and start brushing the effect off (erasing) from the seagull. If I get too much off I then click the eraser to brush it back on. I didn't mask the sky area because I did want the filter to come through in that section.

Hope this helps, if not let me know :D

V- Thank you so much...I understand that now from the artistic and the process approach - now to practice !

d

Delta said:
V- Thank you so much...I understand that now from the artistic and the process approach - now to practice !

d

Great! If you stuck I can always help you via Skype :)

That's were I got stuck...I ended up masking the original on top of the VanGogh. to enhance the flowers...but it couldn't seem to erase anything

d

Delta said:
That's were I got stuck...I ended up masking the original on top of the VanGogh. to enhance the flowers...but it couldn't seem to erase anything

d

Ok try this
Load VanGogh filter first - adjust sizing if needed - Set as base layer
Load original image - check sizing and ensure it matches the VanGogh sizing - set Blend with base

Then play around with your blend modes, moving opacity slider too and when find a blend mode you like click on Done (from memory here as don't have Iris open).

Then you are prompted to use the Mask and I choose the top option Draw Mask

I lower the size of the brush and lower the opacity to about 12. You can enlarge area by using two fingers to pan-zoom

So you now have your brush smaller and opacity lower and image zoomed in - click on the paintbrush and brush over the tree, flowers, leaves and other areas you don't want the VG filter on. If nothing changes up your opacity a bit more, say to 20,

Give it a try :)

Ahhh..ok I will try that as soon as I put the trash out ! Why must life impede on creativity !:eek:

d

V-

I tried it again as you suggested and I now have a clearer picture of what happens in masking. My ah ha was smaller brush lower opacity and ZOOMED image and how draw mask impacts a photo. I also think what you set as base determines a lot artistically. Thank you sooooooo much !! Now to find a better shot to try this on...the flowers were nice but too tiny for classwork !

d

Cool!! Those aha moments are the best! Look forward to seeing your next image :D

Oh yes and totally agree with your comment on what you set as a base image! I always put the more heavily filtered image as the base

What a terrific tutorial, Veevs! I haven't really enjoyed using Iris that much but when I watch how you're working with it here, I think I'll give it another try.

Back
Top Bottom