• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Video recording/ camcorder apps.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
I'm filming a gig in June. I have actual camcorders and an action cam but also many Android tablets and iPads to play with.
I'm looking for camera apps with two features.
  1. Ability to record 2 to 3 hours of footage continuously
  2. Ability to dim the screen whilst recording.
The native cam on the iPads (5s I think) will record 2 to 3 hours no problem but you can't dim the screen making battery time the limiting factor. Anyone know a camera that will do that?

Android cameras are proving annoying. The native (Nexus 5) cam will only do 45 mins and then stops recording.
I've found 3 cameras that will record multiple hours. CameraMX and A Better Camera both record for multiple hours but the resultant files don't play/are corrupt and as both will allow the screen to be dimmed while recording, that's a bit frustrating.
The one camera that has recorded multiple hours no problem is Open Camera. That doesn't allow the screen to be dimmed so again, battery life is the issue there.

Any recommendations, ideas or leads anyone?

Heres a link to my first test video should you be interested.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The filming app on the iOS that everybody talks about is Filmic Pro which I think is also available for Android. It also has a Remote Control App. Another one that is supposed to be good is Mavis.

Can you not connect a battery pack to extend the life?

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Can you not connect a battery pack to extend the life?
Now you mention it, I have a couple and there are 30 or 40 people in the choir. There's probably enough that will be happy to lend me a pack for the shoot to make it work. Good call.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
The native cam on the iPads (5s I think) will record 2 to 3 hours no problem but you can't dim the screen making battery time the limiting factor.
As a workaround for the iOS native cam, you can lower the screen brightness manually using the Control Panel. Depending on which version of iOS you're using, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen or down from the top right to get the Control Panel. You can also adjust the screen brightness while recording if you need to.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Open camera does have the ability to dim the screen... The setting is a bit buried. A few tests to check for reliability and battery packs will be redundant.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
you can lower the screen brightness manually using the Control Panel
I tried this but the screen kept autobrightening in lighter conditions. The work around is to cover the light detector at the front of the screen. Blu tack works just fine.
For reference, at 4k recording the Nexus produces 4Gb mp4 files every 45 mins. The ipads produce continuous files at about 7Gb per hour. Storage space is now my only concern.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
2nd test this week.
4 camcorders, 2 tablets, a phone and an action cam. 12 hours of full HD footage and around 90gb.
The nexus tablets are rubbish, the iPad not bad, my phone really quite good.
I've tried 3 video editors with Lightworks the best so far but that will only allow saving at 720p so I'm trying Shotcut next.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I presume you are doing your editing on the PC? I’ve just joined a film group at U3A and the teacher is a guy who has been in production and film and training most of his life. He swears by DaVinci Resolve which is free for the basic version:

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
I presume you are doing your editing on the PC? I’ve just joined a film group at U3A and the teacher is a guy who has been in production and film and training most of his life. He swears by DaVinci Resolve which is free for the basic version:
I think that's a bit more than I need. It shut itself down on my work pc because it didn't find the right hardware environment. It's got all sorts of professional end features and I'm just after a clean, capable video editor but thanks for the heads up.

Tiffany

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Tiffany
Device
iPhone Xs Max
I currently edit video on my iPad with LumaFusion. The only problem with the iPad is a lack of a proper filesystem however I use Files and the apps File Explorer Pro which can connect to any computer, macOS, PC, Linux, and LocalStorage which places an empty folder in On My iPad in the files app. It's a hacky workaround but a necessary one for now.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I currently edit video on my iPad with LumaFusion. The only problem with the iPad is a lack of a proper filesystem however I use Files and the apps File Explorer Pro which can connect to any computer, macOS, PC, Linux, and LocalStorage which places an empty folder in On My iPad in the files app. It's a hacky workaround but a necessary one for now.
Got to say, I love LumaFusion. Simple and quick but also powerful but of course only iPad.