• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

VSCO – Is anyone using it and feeling cheated....?

RHKing

MobiAddict
Real Name
Robert H King
Device
iPhone X
Hi all.
Some of you may be familiar with my ‘Shadowplay’ series of black and white images.
The series was mainly processed using VSCO and in the app I had created custom filters and presets to put the final unifying touches to the series.

My problem: Today I decided to continue the series and opened up VSCO to find that the presets and editing tools are no longer available to me and are locked behind a yearly subscription of £18.99! To say I’m cheesed of is putting it mildly. Are any fellow MobiTogers using the subscription? Can anyone recommended a similar App? I don’t mind paying a fee but yearly subs are getting to be so much now that I am having to seriously consider my workflow options.

Any thoughts and indeed recommendations would be really appreciated.

Peace to you all...

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I'm a big fan of VSCO and I can confirm the presets I've previously purchased and the editing tools are still available (on Android anyway).
You may have to just play with it a little to get to the free stuff?
RoseCat used to be a big fan, maybe she can throw some light on the iOS version.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hi all.
Some of you may be familiar with my ‘Shadowplay’ series of black and white images.
The series was mainly processed using VSCO and in the app I had created custom filters and presets to put the final unifying touches to the series.

My problem: Today I decided to continue the series and opened up VSCO to find that the presets and editing tools are no longer available to me and are locked behind a yearly subscription of £18.99! To say I’m cheesed of is putting it mildly. Are any fellow MobiTogers using the subscription? Can anyone recommended a similar App? I don’t mind paying a fee but yearly subs are getting to be so much now that I am having to seriously consider my workflow options.

Peace to you all...
You are not alone Robert judging by the latest reviews (that won’t help, but ...). I can’t think of any app that comes close.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
You might take a look at Faded to see if it has filters that you like:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Hi all.

Peace to you all...
UGH!!!!
I haven't used VSCO in quite awhile because I found I could create similar looks in Snapseed. I never utilized the custom filters but I would feel the same as you had a made such a rude discovery. I don't participate in any yearly subscriptions for photo editing apps. Maybe if I used the apps to make my living I'd consider it? I find these subscriptions an extremely obnoxious and unnecessary trend. :mad:

RHKing

MobiAddict
Real Name
Robert H King
Device
iPhone X
I'm a big fan of VSCO and I can confirm the presets I've previously purchased and the editing tools are still available (on Android anyway).
You may have to just play with it a little to get to the free stuff?
RoseCat used to be a big fan, maybe she can throw some light on the iOS version.
Thanks John.
The presets I had downloaded were free and surprise, surprise, these are no longer available for free which means that in order to use them I need to get a yearly subscription. What I was looking to do is the ability I had previously where I could select the edits from one image and apply those to another image and thus creating a consistent unified look in a series. I could then do minor tweaks when required. When I try to do this I get a message telling me that the edits and the tools used to edit the image are no longer available for free and I ‘need to upgrade to a yearly subscription’!

The other big issue is that previously imported images were kept as edited copies inside the App but they no longer support this. Instead they are saved to your camera roll and each further saved edit saves another copy to the camera roll. This can become difficult to keep track of. The ability to keep images inside the App was a huge selling point from me.

I think i’ll Be looking into an alternative. Cheers for the feedback.

RHKing

MobiAddict
Real Name
Robert H King
Device
iPhone X
UGH!!!!
I haven't used VSCO in quite awhile because I found I could create similar looks in Snapseed. I never utilized the custom filters but I would feel the same as you had a made such a rude discovery. I don't participate in any yearly subscriptions for photo editing apps. Maybe if I used the apps to make my living I'd consider it? I find these subscriptions an extremely obnoxious and unnecessary trend. :mad:
Thanks Catherine.
Yes, yearly subs are becoming more prevalent and I can’t justify the money. I do sell some work but not enough to keep paying the fees. I don’t mind 1 off payments and I also understand that developers need investment but to stop access to something that was previously free unless you pay up is just out of order. Grrrrrrrrrr........

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Thanks Catherine.
Yes, yearly subs are becoming more prevalent and I can’t justify the money. I do sell some work but not enough to keep paying the fees. I don’t mind 1 off payments and I also understand that developers need investment but to stop access to something that was previously free unless you pay up is just out of order. Grrrrrrrrrr........
Why can't they just be a reasonable cost? I mean £3 a year which was the usual cost for an app I would certainly pay if it was a 'bread and butter' app but £19 - you have to be kidding.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
What I was looking to do is the ability I had previously where I could select the edits from one image and apply those to another image and thus creating a consistent unified look in a series.
How exasperating! I’ve done that a lot in VSCO and it’s a great feature.

Snapseed has the same ability, but you need to apply the “look” consecutively, because once you edit another image using different tools the “Last edits” reverts to that one. But, you can come back another time/day and your Last Edits will still be there.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
How exasperating! I’ve done that a lot in VSCO and it’s a great feature.

Snapseed has the same ability, but you need to apply the “look” consecutively, because once you edit another image using different tools the “Last edits” reverts to that one. But, you can come back another time/day and your Last Edits will still be there.
Or you can save your edits. I’ve got three or four edits that I’ve saved and can apply those edits to another photo. :thumbs:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Okay. I had to go back a figure out how I did it. You know the little icon that looks a bit like a blue and white rainbow, above the pencil (where all the tools etc are). If you tap on the blue and white rainbow, you get various preset “looks”. Right at the bottom of this list is a grey plus sign. After you’ve edited your image to your liking, press this plus sign and you can name that edit and save it in the list of Looks. I’ll show you.

8ED2D8C6-3A63-48EF-BC6D-64AA309C27F5.jpeg

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Okay. I had to go back a figure out how I did it. You know the little icon that looks a bit like a blue and white rainbow, above the pencil (where all the tools etc are). If you tap on the blue and white rainbow, you get various preset “looks”. Right at the bottom of this list is a grey plus sign. After you’ve edited your image to your liking, press this plus sign and you can name that edit and save it in the list of Looks. I’ll show you.

View attachment 148137
Ahhhhhhh..... I think this might be iPad only. The iPhone app doesn’t have the blue rainbow, or the plus sign. :(

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Ahhhhhhh..... I think this might be iPad only. The iPhone app doesn’t have the blue rainbow, or the plus sign. :(
Try turning your phone to landscape orientation. That's when I see the rainbow.

As for the plus sign, it looks to me as though you have to make some kind of edit (tweak the sharpness, for example) before it appears.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

As for the plus sign, it looks to me as though you have to make some kind of edit (tweak the sharpness, for example) before it appears.
AHA!!!!!!!

:notworthy: :inlove: :notworthy:

I never would have thought to do landscape! o_O WOW! Just when I thought I knew everything about the app! :D

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Thank you Ted. Yes, you definitely have to make an edit before it can ... er ... save the edit. :lol: