APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #1 Three Wishes

It’s Friday night in Au, so I declare Weekly APPstract #1 CLOSED.

By coincidence, I happen to have the honour of judging :D

It’s a helluva time of year to be adding anything to your to-do list, so thank you everyone who helped kick off the new Weekly APPstract :inlove: And I look forward to seeing more of our (many) talented artists as the challenge settles in and the year settles down.

Our inaugural APPstract winners:

I couldn’t choose between JillyG ‘s stunning textured mermaid/angel ‘wish for a dear friend’ and terse evil eye’d ‘And your final wish . . . ?’.

You wouldn’t think it would be a question, would you? An angelic mermaid and an Evil Eye :rolleyes: But in the end it was Ted’s image by the merest (genie’s) whisker, and simply because I loved its reference to trope of ‘three wishes ending badly’.

A180FBE6-215B-4CBA-B48F-65C233C37D16.jpeg

7FDA93F1-005A-46A1-91A3-9A27D3B3910E.jpeg

HMs: for such different interpretations of ‘three wishes’
ImageArt Ann for the very first Weekly APPstract image and her signature bright collage :notworthy:
ValeriGail for the heart
rizole for pragmatism
Starzee for nostalgia
younger for family
Glenton for community
RoseCat for being RoseCat :inlove:
And sinnerjohn for staunch stoicism in the face of all evidence to the contrary - steadfast in declining to identify as an ‘abstract artist’ :thumbs: :) :lmao:

Onwards! terse — theme for #2 ?

I hope I’m not to late?! Even if, I’m gonna share anyways ;) :lmao:

I wanted to do a piece that was more of a general interpretation of wishes, but as it usually goes... my emotions control what actually happens art wise. So here is MY three wishes, very much rooted in my grief for the loss of my father.

I wish for what my parents had for 50 years (today would have been their 50th anniversary). Love, companionship, and music.

View attachment 119080
This is just beautiful... thank you for sharing it. 50 years is almost my entire lifetime... what a wonderful legacy. :inlove:

It’s a helluva time of year to be adding anything to your to-do list, so thank you everyone who helped kick off the new Weekly APPstract :inlove: And I look forward to seeing more of our (many) talented artists as the challenge settles in and the year settles down.

I couldn’t choose between JillyG ‘s stunning textured mermaid/angel ‘wish for a dear friend’ and terse evil eye’d ‘And your final wish . . . ?’.

You wouldn’t think it would be a question, would you? An angelic mermaid and an Evil Eye :rolleyes: But in the end it was Ted’s image by the merest (genie’s) whisker, and simply because I loved its reference to trope of ‘three wishes ending badly’.

View attachment 119082

View attachment 119081

ImageArt Ann for the very first Weekly APPstract image and her signature bright collage :notworthy:
ValeriGail for the heart
rizole for pragmatism
Starzee for nostalgia
younger for family
Glenton for community
And sinnerjohn for staunch stoicism in the face of all evidence to the contrary - steadfast in declining to identify as an ‘abstract artist’ :thumbs: :) :lmao:

Bravo Ted terse!!! :D
Congrats to JillyG for her stunning mermaid... :inlove: and all the HMs!! (Surprised to see my name on the list.... I’ll try to get my act together for Round Two. :grin:)

I wanted to do a piece that was more of a general interpretation of wishes, but as it usually goes... my emotions control what actually happens art wise. So here is MY three wishes, very much rooted in my grief for the loss of my father.

I wish for what my parents had for 50 years (today would have been their 50th anniversary). Love, companionship, and music.

View attachment 119080
What a lovely piece, Valeri!

View attachment 119082

View attachment 119081

ValeriGail for the heart
rizole for pragmatism
Starzee for nostalgia
younger for family
Glenton for community

Wow, that's a surprise! Thank you zenjenny and congrats to JillyG and to everyone who joined in this first round of APPstracts. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

View attachment 119082

View attachment 119081

ValeriGail for the heart
rizole for pragmatism
Starzee for nostalgia
younger for family
Glenton for community

Ooh, thank you so much. :D Out of all of those wonderful abstracts, you chose mine for second place next to Ted’s wonderfully foreboding eye in first. Well done Ted! I love that striking image. And well done all posters for embracing something new in the form of this thread!:thumbs:

View attachment 119080
This is lovely.

View attachment 119082

View attachment 119081

ValeriGail for the heart
rizole for pragmatism
Starzee for nostalgia
younger for family
Glenton for community

Wonderful choices!!!

Well, come on, GroovyGouvy, Lzed, ValeriGail, younger, deepop, Ryn S, RHKing — only 24 hours left to support our first Weekly APPstract Challenge! What’s your first-response interpretation of ‘three wishes’?

Thing is I was working on it and didn’t find the time to finish. My first thought when I read the theme was something pretty German. Like „Dinner for One“ belongs to the change of the years (Silvester and new year’s eve“ „drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel“ (Three hazelnuts for Cinderella“ belongs to our Christmas tv cult films. As you expect it’s a Cinderella story and the English title is “Three wishes for Cinderella”. It a 70’s cooperation of the Czech Republic and East Germany and became a classic for Christmas.
Cinderella meets the prince, her father finds magical hazelnuts along the way. The first contains her outfit as a hunter, she meets the prince again, beats him in hunting, but he doesn’t recognise her, thinking she’s a hunter boy. Next nut contains her ball dress outfit, with shoes and veil, so he didn’t recognise her again, searching for her with the shoe she lost. Finding her in the end and the last nut reveals her wedding outfit.
But I had just finished the nuts. None of the dresses. So I lied. I was only a quarter through. :(
Maybe next time.

Edit: blinking autocorrect corrected. XD

Last edited:
Thing is I was working on it and didn’t find the time to finish. My first thought when I read the theme was something pretty German. Like „Dinner for One“ belongs to the change of the years (Silvester and new yeapeve“ „drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel“ (The hazelnuts for Cinderella“ belongs to our Christmas tv cult films. As you expect it’s a Cinderella story and the English title is “Three wishes for Cinderella”. It a 70’s cooperation of the Czech Republic and East Germany and became a classic for Christmas.
Cinderella meets the prince, her father finds magical hazelnuts along the way. The first contains her outfit as a hunter, she meets the prince again, beats him in hunting, but he doesn’t recognise her, thinking she’s a hunter boy. Next nut contains her ball dress outfit, with shoes and veil, so he didn’t recognise her again, searching for her with the shoe she lost. Finding her in the end and the last bit reveille her wedding outfit.
But I had just finished the nuts. None of the dresses. So I lied. I was only a quarter through. :(
Maybe next time.

Sounds wonderful, Gouvy - why not put it in #2? terse called ‘no theme’, so your theme will be perfectly at home!

Back
Top Bottom