APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #2 No Themes

Fades
Superimpose X, Icolorama, a texture from Stackables I managed to save before it stopped working.
Thanks to zenjenny for the image of the lady. I’ve had it for a long time but hadn’t used it. View attachment 119210

Ooh, it was worth waiting for! You’ve used her top half, and made for a completely different feel. Amazing isn’t it - a bit more of less of the figure, turned slightly this way or that - and a completely different sense. No wonder ‘body language’ is so powerful.

Okidoki I’m done. Belated three wishes.
Quickly adding the summary again:

“Three wishes for Cinderella”. It a 70’s film cooperation of the Czech Republic and East Germany and became a classic for Christmas. It’s similar to the Grimm’s Cinderella story, but different in detail.
Cinderella lost her mum, her dad married again, her stepmother is mean, because focused on her own daughters. Cinderella meets the prince in the woods and he is interested in her, but she runs away. Meanwhil, her father finds three hazelnuts along the way back and gives them as a little present to Cindy who finds their magic, send through her late mother’s love.
The first contains her outfit as a hunter, she meets the prince again, beats him in hunting, but he doesn’t recognise her, thinking she’s a hunter boy. Next nut contains her ball dress outfit, with shoes and veil, so he didn’t recognise her again, searching for her with the shoe she lost. Finding her in the end and the last nut reveals her wedding outfit.

You see the nuts and the three outfits. Mostly Procreate, but also a little PaintMee2 for colourful effects to add.

View attachment 119213

Wow, Gouvy - a whole story in your image! Nicely done - I’m glad you didn’t post it before it was finished, even though it would have been perfect for ‘three wishes’. And I am envious of your drawing/painting skills :barf: :notworthy: :alien: :notworthy: :zip: :D

Wow, Gouvy - a whole story in your image! Nicely done - I’m glad you didn’t post it before it was finished, even though it would have been perfect for ‘three wishes’. And I am envious of your drawing/painting skills :barf: :notworthy: :alien: :notworthy: :zip: :D

Thank you :notworthy:, but it’s more smeared than painted. I’m too impatient to really go into details. :)

Seeking Refuge
View attachment 119181
Mostly Affinity but some Painnt, and Distressed FX. This started out in a different direction but somewhere along the way it took an abrupt turn.

There’s also a version from PersText but I didn’t care for it. I’m not sold on the idea of text on photos.
Anyhow, here it is so feel free to let me know what you think of the text.
View attachment 119182

Lovely colours in this image, Brian - and a lovely softness in the edit that makes the fade of the ‘disappearing’ figure very effective to my eye. The beetle so sharply focused in foreground makes me wonder what role s/he has in the story — overseeing? Something to do with the refuge the human figure is seeking?

PS I’m with you on the text version - for me, the text is too strong and definite to work with the idea of quest/search for refuge - imo works much better as the title.

I have two unintentional ( meaning I wa playing around and experimenting with no endpoint afore thought). Both started with same photo.
Taking flight
KinoGlitch and iColorama
View attachment 119120

Definitely feel the flying.

I agree with Starzee, and the first one looks like a bat with one magenta wing. (Must be a young one. Only oldsters wear black all the time. Gotta show some style!)

What Ted and Star said.

Do you (David, Ted, Star) ever find these unintentional discoveries hanging around in your cache forever, turning up in various images as backgrounds, or morphing into other images?)

Last edited:
Lovely colours in this image, Brian - and a lovely softness in the edit that makes the fade of the ‘disappearing’ figure very effective to my eye. The beetle so sharply focused in foreground makes me wonder what role s/he has in the story — overseeing? Something to do with the refuge the human figure is seeking?

PS I’m with you on the text version - for me, the text is too strong and definite to work with the idea of quest/search for refuge - imo works much better as the title.
I wish I could say I have a strong coherent understanding of what this means. Instead I have fleeting glimpses of elements that seem to bear some importance to me and maybe what it means when I put them together. Of the several elements I chose to work with, and still exist on layers that were shut off, these are the ones that remain. I suppose there might be more mystery in a picture where questions remain.

My starting picture is a fairly dense forest but perhaps it has become too faint to get that. The darkness was a bit oppressive so I had to “lighten up” a bit. The person is disappearing into the forest, but the second, less substantial, image of the character implies the passing of time, and becoming harder to see. Does this represent the disappearing self or becoming one with all that is?

The person in the picture isn’t me. I couldn’t find a suitable picture of me so a picture of my brother had to do, but that change of character also changed the story as I was in the middle of telling it.

In a deep forest you can’t see very far where you are going or where you have been. You can only see where you are now. In the overall philosophy of “be here now” there is something to that.

I don’t know if you recognize the foreground flowers. Forget-me-nots are fairly well known here. They grow wild and are often planted. Where they grow I have an excuse not to mow the grass until they have finished flowering.

On one hand forget-me-nots have some romantic connotations, perhaps of lovers separated by distance but still not wanting to be forgotten. Or of lovers having a long view of love and wanting to remember and be remembered forever.

Unfortunately, in a couple of fund raising campaignes the Alzheimer’s society mailed out seed packets of forget-me-nots, to my way of thinking, in an annoying attempt to co-opt the forget-me-not as their own symbol. Well, hey buddy, make up your own symbol and don’t mess up any of mine. As annoying as it is, the co-opting is at least successful enough that I think of my father and others I have known who were afflicted with Alzheimer’s when I see forget-me-nots and that makes me sad to see my old enjoyment of the wildflowers be taken over by a new sadder meaning.

Each time I mow, I have to decide whether to mow them or let them grow, what meaning I want them to have, and when is a flower just a flower.

So, my character has passed through the forget-me-nots, or the field of remembering, on his journey into the deep forest. Forget-me-nots are fairly shade tolerant so they can grow at the edges of the forest until the shade becomes too deep.

What does it mean when the only person/thing/being bearing witness to the journey is a beetle, even though it is one with unusually large sensory appendages. It implies some sort of solitude or perhaps loneliness, or even isolation, deliberate or not. And even in this solitude are we ever really alone?

So these are the elements that have woven themselves into my picture story. Without knowing exactly how these elements came to select themselves I can only look at how they fit together and wish I was smart enough to have been able to plan it in advance.

Looking back I wonder at what subconscious processes are at work when looking through thousands of images and which ones say “pick me, pick me”. It’s amazing to me how each thought leaps to another and how they are associated.

What do you make of that, doctor?

This also reminds me of something I wrote recently about the difference between imagining a story and then discovering you don’t have the elements you need to illustrate it, compared to looking first at the elements you have and then seeing what story can be told with them.

Last edited:
Okidoki I’m done. Belated three wishes.
Quickly adding the summary again:

“Three wishes for Cinderella”. It a 70’s film cooperation of the Czech Republic and East Germany and became a classic for Christmas. It’s similar to the Grimm’s Cinderella story, but different in detail.
Cinderella lost her mum, her dad married again, her stepmother is mean, because focused on her own daughters. Cinderella meets the prince in the woods and he is interested in her, but she runs away. Meanwhil, her father finds three hazelnuts along the way back and gives them as a little present to Cindy who finds their magic, send through her late mother’s love.
The first contains her outfit as a hunter, she meets the prince again, beats him in hunting, but he doesn’t recognise her, thinking she’s a hunter boy. Next nut contains her ball dress outfit, with shoes and veil, so he didn’t recognise her again, searching for her with the shoe she lost. Finding her in the end and the last nut reveals her wedding outfit.

You see the nuts and the three outfits. Mostly Procreate, but also a little PaintMee2 for colourful effects to add.

View attachment 119213
I like that story.

I wish I could say I have a strong coherent understanding of what this means. Instead I have fleeting glimpses of elements that seem to bear some importance to me and maybe what it means when I put them together. Of the several elements I chose to work with, and still exist on layers that were shut off, these are the ones that remain. I suppose there might be more mystery in a picture where questions remain.

My starting picture is a fairly dense forest but perhaps it has become too faint to get that. The darkness was a bit oppressive so I had to “lighten up” a bit. The person is disappearing into the forest, but the second, less substantial, image of the character implies the passing of time, and becoming harder to see. Does this represent the disappearing self or becoming one with all that is?

The person in the picture isn’t me. I couldn’t find a suitable picture of me so a picture of my brother had to do, but that change of character also changed the story as I was in the middle of telling it.

In a deep forest you can’t see very far where you are going or where you have been. You can only see where you are now. In the overall philosophy of “be here now” there is something to that.

I don’t know if you recognize the foreground flowers. Forget-me-nots are fairly well known here. They grow wild and are often planted. Where they grow I have an excuse not to mow the grass until they have finished flowering.

On one hand forget-me-nots have some romantic connotations, perhaps of lovers separated by distance but still not wanting to be forgotten. Or of lovers having a long view of love and wanting to remember and be remembered forever.

Unfortunately, in a couple of fund raising campaignes the Alzheimer’s society mailed out seed packets of forget-me-nots, to my way of thinking, in an annoying attempt to co-opt the forget-me-not as their own symbol. Well, hey buddy, make up your own symbol and don’t mess up any of mine. As annoying as it is, the co-opting is at least successful enough that I think of my father and others I have known who were afflicted with Alzheimer’s when I see forget-me-nots and that makes me sad to see my old enjoyment of the wildflowers be taken over by a new sadder meaning.

Each time I mow, I have to decide whether to mow them or let them grow, what meaning I want them to have, and when is a flower just a flower.

So, my character has passed through the forget-me-nots, or the field of remembering, on his journey into the deep forest. Forget-me-nots are fairly shade tolerant so they can grow at the edges of the forest until the shade becomes too deep.

What does it mean when the only person/thing/being bearing witness to the journey is a beetle, even though it is one with unusually large sensory appendages. It implies some sort of solitude or perhaps loneliness, or even isolation, deliberate or not. And even in this solitude are we ever really alone?

So these are the elements that have woven themselves into my picture story. Without knowing exactly how these elements came to select themselves I can only look at how they fit together and wish I was smart enough to have been able to plan it in advance.

Looking back I wonder at what subconscious processes are at work when looking through thousands of images and which ones say “pick me, pick me”. It’s amazing to me how each thought leaps to another and how they are associated.

What do you make of that, doctor?

This also reminds me of something I wrote recently about the difference between imagining a story and then discovering you don’t have the elements you need to illustrate it, compared to looking first at the elements you have and then seeing what story can be told with them.

Wow, I like your story, too. :)

I worked diligently for hours on an APPstract project in Procreate but somehow it didn’t end up as an abstract, or not enough, so I posted it in my Explorations project instead. Back to square 1.

Crows’ feet

75975D89-533B-4D49-AB6D-62C88D09801F.jpeg

Collage with SketchClub SnapSeed Union and Pixite Overlays.

Do you (David, Ted, Star) ever find these unintentional discoveries hanging around in your cache forever, turning up in various images as backgrounds, or morphing into other images?)
Oh sure. And after they get re-used in a new image, then that new one often hangs around and starts showing up in later ones.

Ooh that’s nice! I recognise a few of your old bgs in there. How did you stitch them together? And do all those lines & sparkly bits ?
Yes, I think it's entirely made up of things you've seen before, including the catbird. I layered the bits in Leonardo and then brought it into iColorama, where I made a dozen or so variations. (Who can stop with just one?) I tried blending some of those together but eventually went back to this one, which uses iColorama's Style/Lighten/1 with the opacity dialed down to 50% or maybe less. That's where the sparkly bits and lines come from.

Wow, Ted, a closet abstractor.

I think we outed Ted a while back. Iirc, he won one of the early Levels of Abstraction challenges.

Edit: he really hit his stride when he named the Wrecking Yard :mobibabe: What started as a polite exchange between me & JillyG about Arindock chairs, and became a free-for-all abstract riot.

So I have a couple of enquiries APPsract peoples, yeah I'm actually interested,
1. do most of these art works start out as photographs, or something else?
2. I note that most (not all) of the apps regularly mentioned are apple apps. Do you think Apple is better for this genre?

Back
Top Bottom