APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #2 No Themes

There are a huge number of silly toy cameras for iPhone. A much smaller number of serious camera apps for photographers. It’s appalling how many junk apps there are.
I’m surprised there aren’t more good apps for Android. There are so many Android phones out there you would think it would be more worthwhile for developers to put some time there.
Because Apple have clear standards they expect before giving an app the ability to be sold on iTunes, Apple developers have to produce good stuff. But as a result they can charge a reasonable amount and make a living wage.
If they do well they also have the motivation to go the extra mile in terms of quality and features.
Google is an advertising company and its users are it's product. I believe anyone can sell any old rubbish on the play store - at least that used to be true - and charge what they like. Obviously the cheaper and free stuff is the most popular and that's ended up with developers having a race to the bottom. And as users come to expect free, it becomes very hard to make a living. This is why there are so many ad supported and crippled apps that require a payment to gain functionality.
As long as Google keep making money hand over fist pushing advertising there's very little motivation for them to change the system.
:(

Because Apple have clear standards they expect before giving an app the ability to be sold on iTunes, Apple developers have to produce good stuff. But as a result they can charge a reasonable amount and make a living wage.
If they do well they also have the motivation to go the extra mile in terms of quality and features.
Google is an advertising company and its users are it's product. I believe anyone can sell any old rubbish on the play store - at least that used to be true - and charge what they like. Obviously the cheaper and free stuff is the most popular and that's ended up with developers having a race to the bottom. And as users come to expect free, it becomes very hard to make a living. This is why there are so many ad supported and crippled apps that require a payment to gain functionality.
As long as Google keep making money hand over fist pushing advertising there's very little motivation for them to change the system.
:(
Yes, I see your point.

B0E2CB8E-A417-472F-9552-BB20C17679FF.jpeg
Kitchen Sink (or Brexit )
KinoGlitch, iColorama, Fragment, Enlight, MRRW, Retouch, AlienSky

Last edited:
There are a huge number of silly toy cameras for iPhone. A much smaller number of serious camera apps for photographers. It’s appalling how many junk apps there are.
I’m surprised there aren’t more good apps for Android. There are so many Android phones out there you would think it would be more worthwhile for developers to put some time there.
Some of us like 'silly' toy camera apps Brian :rolleyes:
I'm afraid that attitude of SERIOUS cameras SERIOUS apps SERIOUS photographers really turns me off the whole photography thing.
I'm happy to be silly.

Some of us like 'silly' toy camera apps Brian :rolleyes:
I'm afraid that attitude of SERIOUS cameras SERIOUS apps SERIOUS photographers really turns me off the whole photography thing.
I'm happy to be silly.
I have lots of less than serious cameras, probably 25 of them. Believe it or not I like to have fun, too. I was referring to those completely bogus offerings that are mostly vehicles for ads.

Oh, I forgot that part!! :oops:

This was created from 4 images, taken in 3 different locations (and states!) The background/mountains was taken on a hike at Acadia National Park during my summer road trip. The prayer flags and labyrinth were taken while on a hike with deepop David and Grace, and the gongs were from the wonderful sound journey I attended this year on New Year's Eve.

I was scrolling through my photos looking for inspiration to create a collage, and the gongs came up first and I knew I wanted to use them somehow, so this was the first image I loaded into SuperimposeX... the rest just sort of came easily after that as I felt they all worked together, and created the "vibe" I was looking for.

Love it. A bit of ‘story’ always adds something (between ‘a bit’ and ‘wow!’) to my reading of an image.

And I can identify with that ‘hmm, what next?’ creating process :inlove:

This week I have mostly been evaluating painting apps, because procreate envy, and cameras because I'm interested in the whole photoimpressionism whatsit.
It's a little early in my testing to be sure but Autodesk sketchbook is nudging out in the lead for paint programmes but ... Camera FV-5 actually allows me to manually set the shutter speed and although it also has exposure compensation it wont go down below an iso of 100.
Turns out my stock camera gives me the best control. That has a 10 second shutter speed and go down to an iso of 50. But even 50 only allows a shutter speed of 1/60th before the picture becomes over exposed, and that's on a dull winter's day. [/MOAN]

So yes, I think apple has better apps for this genre (and for many others if I'm honest).

I do love when you (and others) think out loud like this. Very helpful.
(Note to self: open Autodesk SketchBook)

Forgive me for being brief, but...

First place to FundyBrian's "A Wrinkle in Time," which looks like a linocut print to me, simple and striking, especially the sweeping lines that are laid over the dark birds and trees.

4469bcad-d026-4bfa-b5cb-7de6ca573b02-jpeg.119390

Second place to ImageArt's "Where Do You Travel in Your Sleep," a quilt-like collage of faces and ferns, and places with a beautiful color palette.

4764be57-ef8e-435d-a407-1a0323b9e0d2-jpeg.119186

Third place to RoseCat's untitled assemblage of gongs and mazes and places that has a slightly faded look, as if cut out from scrapbook photographs.

a54c7b39-fee3-40b5-ad13-2df3e7d693ac-jpeg.119370

Thanks to everyone who joined in :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: I enjoyed the week and look forward to getting off the judge's seat for the next round.

Last edited:

First place to FundyBrian's "A Wrinkle in Time," which looks like a linocut print to me, simple and striking, especially the sweeping lines that are laid over the dark birds and trees.

Second place to ImageArt's "Where Do You Travel in Your Sleep," a quilt-like collage of faces and ferns, and places with a beautiful color palette.

Third place to RoseCat's untitled assemblage of gongs and mazes and places that has a slightly faded look, as if cut out from scrapbook photographs.

Thanks to everyone who joined in :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: I enjoyed the week and look forward to getting off the judge's seat for the next round.
Well done, Brian, for a sensational image! Thanks, Ted for second place. Well done, Catherine, loved your image!

OMG! I’m flabbergasted! I feel I’m struggling to get the hang of this abstract genre. Thank you!
Congrats to ImageArt & RoseCat. I feel I’m doing well to be in such esteemed company.
So here’s a pitch for APPstract. The pictures I made this week never would have been made if it weren’t for this challenge.

I haven’t been able to create something this week, but I wanna participate so I’m gonna add one I did around Christmas that I haven’t shared here.

The original was a light play photo of Christmas lights at my daughter’s choir concert. I was wasting time before it started. The twins said it looked like people dancing, so I just had to work it and see where it went. I call it strut your stuff.

View attachment 119381

Apps: Hipsta, Snapseed, Oilist (several versions), and Superimpose

I see what your twins saw. :inlove:

Back
Top Bottom