APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #2 No Themes

So I have a couple of enquiries APPsract peoples, yeah I'm actually interested,
1. do most of these art works start out as photographs, or something else?
2. I note that most (not all) of the apps regularly mentioned are apple apps. Do you think Apple is better for this genre?
1. Photos
2. Yes

The Time Travelller, just visiting.
2B5BA9AC-FDB8-47C7-8087-1733020411EA.jpeg

Mostly Procreate, but also Affinity, aremaC.

Last edited:
2. I note that most (not all) of the apps regularly mentioned are apple apps. Do you think Apple is better for this genre?
1. Mine start out as photos or parts of photos. Often these include pieces of previous appstracts, so they're photos, yes, but ones that have already been processed and mangled. I keep a folder of interesting/useful bits and pieces on my iPad (I imagine all the real experts do too).
2. Don't know. It seems like it, at first, because there are a ton of relevant apps, but I end up using the same few apps on almost every piece. If I had comparable apps on Android, I'd be OK. iColorama is a big one for me, and I don't think there's an Android analog of that. Most useful is probably a good app that can do multiple layers for the compositing (Leonardo or Superimpose X, for me), and I'd think there must be something like that for Android as well.

1. Almost always photographs but sometimes, homemade brushes
2. No question.

I haven’t been able to create something this week, but I wanna participate so I’m gonna add one I did around Christmas that I haven’t shared here.

The original was a light play photo of Christmas lights at my daughter’s choir concert. I was wasting time before it started. The twins said it looked like people dancing, so I just had to work it and see where it went. I call it strut your stuff.

71B9C7B9-7D37-472E-9D90-BE111A0F1A8E.jpeg

Apps: Hipsta, Snapseed, Oilist (several versions), and Superimpose

I haven’t been able to create something this week, but I wanna participate so I’m gonna add one I did around Christmas that I haven’t shared here.

The original was a light play photo of Christmas lights at my daughter’s choir concert. I was wasting time before it started. The twins said it looked like people dancing, so I just had to work it and see where it went. I call it strut your stuff.

View attachment 119381

Apps: Hipsta, Snapseed, Oilist (several versions), and Superimpose

Glad you joined in Valeri - we’ve missed your appstracts :D

:lmao:

State of his vehicle, it’ll be a long visit next place he lands :lmao:
That’s what magic is for.
A time machine needs to be disguised so someone won’t steal it.
I don’t think this is a time anyone wants to stay in.
I think I just invented the external combustion engine.

Last edited:

Glad you’re interested, John. I’m interested in people’s responses to your q’s, too (esp #1). Me:
1. My start points are fairly evenly spaced between i) photographs and/or ‘bits of’ (fragments that I have previously messed with and saved) and ii) drawings/paintings in apps like SketchClub (which also offers multiple brushes). Less often I take a photo of a paper & pencil drawing or some other great work of art and wreck that.
2. Yes.

1. Mine start out as photos or parts of photos. Often these include pieces of previous appstracts, so they're photos, yes, but ones that have already been processed and mangled. I keep a folder of interesting/useful bits and pieces on my iPad (I imagine all the real experts do too).
2. Don't know. It seems like it, at first, because there are a ton of relevant apps, but I end up using the same few apps on almost every piece. If I had comparable apps on Android, I'd be OK. iColorama is a big one for me, and I don't think there's an Android analog of that. Most useful is probably a good app that can do multiple layers for the compositing (Leonardo or Superimpose X, for me), and I'd think there must be something like that for Android as well.

You'd be surprised :rolleyes:
This week I have mostly been evaluating painting apps, because procreate envy, and cameras because I'm interested in the whole photoimpressionism whatsit.
It's a little early in my testing to be sure but Autodesk sketchbook is nudging out in the lead for paint programmes but as for cameras it looks like a dead loss. I've tried 7 of the leading cameras including, my stock one. Some are so crippled, unless you spend some money, that it's impossible to evaluate them as anything but toys. Three are so limited on controls that they are auto cams. Only Camera FV-5 actually allows me to manually set the shutter speed and although it also has exposure compensation it wont go down below an iso of 100.
Turns out my stock camera gives me the best control. That has a 10 second shutter speed and go down to an iso of 50. But even 50 only allows a shutter speed of 1/60th before the picture becomes over exposed, and that's on a dull winter's day. [/MOAN]

So yes, I think apple has better apps for this genre (and for many others if I'm honest).

This has to have some story to it ? ! ? (And according to The Roolz you have to tell it :mobibabe:)
Oh, I forgot that part!! :oops:

This was created from 4 images, taken in 3 different locations (and states!) The background/mountains was taken on a hike at Acadia National Park during my summer road trip. The prayer flags and labyrinth were taken while on a hike with deepop David and Grace, and the gongs were from the wonderful sound journey I attended this year on New Year's Eve.

I was scrolling through my photos looking for inspiration to create a collage, and the gongs came up first and I knew I wanted to use them somehow, so this was the first image I loaded into SuperimposeX... the rest just sort of came easily after that as I felt they all worked together, and created the "vibe" I was looking for.

This week I have mostly been evaluating painting apps, because procreate envy, and cameras because I'm interested in the whole photoimpressionism whatsit.
It's a little early in my testing to be sure but Autodesk sketchbook is nudging out in the lead for paint programmes but as for cameras it looks like a dead loss. I've tried 7 of the leading cameras including, my stock one. Some are so crippled, unless you spend some money, that it's impossible to evaluate them as anything but toys. Three are so limited on controls that they are auto cams. Only Camera FV-5 actually allows me to manually set the shutter speed and although it also has exposure compensation it wont go down below an iso of 100.
Turns out my stock camera gives me the best control. That has a 10 second shutter speed and go down to an iso of 50. But even 50 only allows a shutter speed of 1/60th before the picture becomes over exposed, and that's on a dull winter's day. [/MOAN]

So yes, I think apple has better apps for this genre (and for many others if I'm honest).
It’s the reason I could never part with my iPad. Simples.

Oh, I forgot that part!! :oops:

This was created from 4 images, taken in 3 different locations (and states!) The background/mountains was taken on a hike at Acadia National Park during my summer road trip. The prayer flags and labyrinth were taken while on a hike with deepop David and Grace, and the gongs were from the wonderful sound journey I attended this year on New Year's Eve.

I was scrolling through my photos looking for inspiration to create a collage, and the gongs came up first and I knew I wanted to use them somehow, so this was the first image I loaded into SuperimposeX... the rest just sort of came easily after that as I felt they all worked together, and created the "vibe" I was looking for.
Hah. I saw this first on IG and said to myself that maze looks exactly like the one on our river walk, but then I was thrown off by the mountains in the background. The wonders of quadruple exposures.

There are a huge number of silly toy cameras for iPhone. A much smaller number of serious camera apps for photographers. It’s appalling how many junk apps there are.
I’m surprised there aren’t more good apps for Android. There are so many Android phones out there you would think it would be more worthwhile for developers to put some time there.

Back
Top Bottom