APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #3 No Theme

Nice - I do like those ‘immersive experiences’ :D

And I see you’ve been at the runes again!
I do like those spots — are they from SketchClub ?

(You know you can make brushes in SketchClub, right? I’ve made a few, but I don’t know how to make them opaque - my black comes up translucent :( I suppose I’ll have to find some instructions to read somewhere :rolleyes:)
I had to go back to the layers to find out where the spots came from. I down loaded a ton of brushes so wasn’t sure. Turns out to be a photo I took in October. I can’t tell exactly what it is, but it looks like fabric. I didn’t know you could make brushes in SketchClub. Perhaps I should give a try with the spots and give back, since I’ve taken quite a few.
9AB5BF56-C2B9-4290-8F34-D4D1CBAB4BA7.jpeg

I had to go back to the layers to find out where the spots came from. I down loaded a ton of brushes so wasn’t sure. Turns out to be a photo I took in October. I can’t tell exactly what it is, but it looks like fabric. I didn’t know you could make brushes in SketchClub. Perhaps I should give a try with the spots and give back, since I’ve taken quite a few.
View attachment 119777

Nice spots. I’m always on the lookout for nice dots and spots :D Let me know if you’d like some of mine :thumbs:

Is that an either/or? Or a both/and?

I’m inspired to rush off and create my own iteration of brilliantly destabilised reality and dangerous temporalities . . . However, RoseCat ‘s meditation on transcendental beauty (and terse ‘ wise commentary) bring Weekly APPstract #3 to a close.

Thank you to all contributors :thumbs: :notworthy: :D and additional thanks to all who indulged FundyBrian ’s interest in “what on Earth were you thinking?”

Time for Brian to select his winner/s. Weekly APPstract #4 here
Got your message. I’m on it.

It has been most fascinating reviewing all the APPstract images this week. I appreciate the time people took to say something about the making of their images. As with photographs I still find the “why” behind an image every bit as interesting as the image itself. I won’t pretend to be experienced in abstract images but I’m trying to learn more about it. I could bla bla a lot more, as I’m sure you know, so I’ll skip all that and get to the selection of images.

In First Place - JillyG. I’m impressed to know she started out with an image in mind and then worked toward that goal. So far it seems my own have started out with stumbling around until I began to see something happening and then took it from there. I very much like the sense of depth in the image and that there are distinct areas of interest while the rest is more like supporting ambiance. Beautiful use of colour.
E5B82EEB-5C39-4D94-B4F0-85428D6E2909.jpeg

Second Place goes to deepop for his image “Archimedes”. To me this had a distinct watercolour feel, the way the edges and colours bleed. I enjoy the richness of the colours as well and somehow there’s some Gloomlogue feel about it that deepop does so well. Something about the angle of the body and head, and even the direction of the eye, give me the impression of someone playing the violin. There’s a splash of brown at the shoulder that assists that impression.
0785092C-923B-465C-892B-73F86F5AC8D2.jpeg

Third Place goes to terse for his image “Nature laughs at your walls”. Great title, a nice sense of depth here, too. The way some leaves are coming in front of the bars adds to the sense of depth as well as fitting the title. The rock character appears to be starting to pass through the bars. Yes, I think the sketch style works well here.
E95694C1-B40B-4F38-A648-A9B68CA97BC8.jpeg

Wonderful work by all. I’m getting a lot out of participating in APPstract.

It has been most fascinating reviewing all the APPstract images this week. I appreciate the time people took to say something about the making of their images. As with photographs I still find the “why” behind an image every bit as interesting as the image itself. I won’t pretend to be experienced in abstract images but I’m trying to learn more about it. I could bla bla a lot more, as I’m sure you know, so I’ll skip all that and get to the selection of images.

In First Place - JillyG. I’m impressed to know she started out with an image in mind and then worked toward that goal. So far it seems my own have started out with stumbling around until I began to see something happening and then took it from there. I very much like the sense of depth in the image and that there are distinct areas of interest while the rest is more like supporting ambiance. Beautiful use of colour.
View attachment 119797

Second Place goes to deepop for his image “Archimedes”. To me this had a distinct watercolour feel, the way the edges and colours bleed. I enjoy the richness of the colours as well and somehow there’s some Gloomlogue feel about it that deepop does so well. Something about the angle of the body and head, and even the direction of the eye, give me the impression of someone playing the violin. There’s a splash of brown at the shoulder that assists that impression.
View attachment 119798

Third Place goes to terse for his image “Nature laughs at your walls”. Great title, a nice sense of depth here, too. The way some leaves are coming in front of the bars adds to the sense of depth as well as fitting the title. The rock character appears to be starting to pass through the bars. Yes, I think the sketch style works well here.
View attachment 119799

Er, what?:screamcat: Out of all of those beautiful images, you chose mine Brian? Well, I’m surprised, thrilled and delighted in equal measure.:lol: Thank you. Well done David and Ted too. All of the abstracts were just beautiful. Lovely work everyone. I suppose I should choose a theme. I’d like you to take something or things that you consider commonplace or something(s) that you see everyday and turn them into abstract images. I hope that’s a good theme. It’s difficult to know.:confused:

Last edited:
Er, what?:screamcat: Out of all of those beautiful images, you chose mine Brian? Well, I’m surprised, thrilled and delighted in equal measure.:lol: Thank you. Well done David and Ted too. All of the abstracts were just beautiful. Lovely work everyone. I suppose I should choose a theme. I’d like you to take something or things that you consider commonplace or something(s) that you see everyday and turn them into abstract images. I hope that’s a good theme. It’s difficult to know.:confused:
Yes, it really is a wonderful image!

View attachment 119797

View attachment 119798

View attachment 119799

Stunning image and def worthy winner. Well done, Jilly and well done David and Ted for great runner ups.

Thank you, Brian, for thoughtful judging and comments as always :notworthy: :thumbs: :)

Congrats Jilly (you seem to be the only person surprised by your image’s win :rolleyes:

Congrats deepop and terse - your multi-talent-ness is awesome :notworthy:

take something or things that you consider commonplace or something(s) that you see everyday and turn them into abstract images’ <— theme for #4

Great choices Brian. As Jen mentioned, I’m not at all surprised that JillyG won... it’s a gorgeous work of art, and one that should be printed, framed and hung, IMO. :inlove: Congrats Jilly!!

Happy Dance for deepop David and terse Ted!! Well done MobiSirs!

View attachment 119797

View attachment 119798

View attachment 119799

Congratulations, Jilly. A wonderful picture- lovely colors, textures, patterns, text -you got it all. Congrats to Ted. Thanks,Brian, for the second place.

I’ve struggled to come up with anything meaningful for this challenge - I have been trying really hard, I assure you. Then I saw a photograph of a contemporary painting in an exhibition in London at the moment, and I thought I would try to reproduce the background of it in Procreate. With a little help from iColorama too and bits from my camera roll, this is the result.

View attachment 119475
As I was gazing at this at the end of this thread announcing your well deserved win, I was struck by the illusion of the buildings in the background singing,

Back
Top Bottom