APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #3 No Theme

Infrasound.
Infrasound.png

I started with the wall and processed that. I ran it through a couple of processes in toolwiz. I'd no plan by this point but thought it needed a figure in.
Added overlays, effects and textures for interest with toolwiz, PicsArt and Pixlr. One of the overlays in one of them was called infrasound. Sounded good so in went the text.
Tweaked in Snapseed and finished with infinite painter to do the paint splattering.

I’ve struggled to come up with anything meaningful for this challenge - I have been trying really hard, I assure you. Then I saw a photograph of a contemporary painting in an exhibition in London at the moment, and I thought I would try to reproduce the background of it in Procreate. With a little help from iColorama too and bits from my camera roll, this is the result.

View attachment 119475
Just looking at this one again. Boy, it's good. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

A couple of years ago I spent several hours cutting out cool images, patterns and words from magazines and books thinking that physical collage would help me with digital collage. I couldn’t stand the idea of being able to use each only once and kept “saving” them for the perfect place. I ultimately threw most of them out. I apparently wasn’t cut out to use my cut outs.
So you don’t have digital copies of your physical collages? You might find after the last two years that you have much more knowledge than you did then. Would be worth having a go now.

I’ve struggled to come up with anything meaningful for this challenge - I have been trying really hard, I assure you. Then I saw a photograph of a contemporary painting in an exhibition in London at the moment, and I thought I would try to reproduce the background of it in Procreate. With a little help from iColorama too and bits from my camera roll, this is the result.

View attachment 119475
Oh now, Jilly, that’s lovely!

View attachment 119475

So beautiful! ‘What everyone else has said’ -especially that lovely chalky pastelly background. Good on you for taking the idea home and making your own version :notworthy: :thumbs:

I love that moment when I see a piece of art and think ‘ooh, you can do this or this with that and that’.... yesterday I saw a piece with bits of watercolour background and strong ink lines over a faint ‘monoprint’, whatever that is. But seeing the composition - those things put together that way - was inspiring.

I like what you've done here. I thought some of last weeks entries were more photo manipulation/art than abstract, but who am I to judge ;)

The manipulation of photographs for art is largely done with apps. (Ie since ‘iphoneography’). ‘Manipulated’ images = a focus shifted from or additional to the material reality depicted in original photograph — hence ‘abstract’.

And, as many MobiTog artists demonstrate every day, we can also use apps to build images from the ground up.

I think the intro 1. Interpret the theme 2. Using apps makes it clear this challenge is just for fun. Though I have noticed an unexpected bonus in learning something about the way others think up and put together their APPstracts

Infrasound.
View attachment 119506
I started with the wall and processed that. I ran it through a couple of processes in toolwiz. I'd no plan by this point but thought it needed a figure in.
Added overlays, effects and textures for interest with toolwiz, PicsArt and Pixlr. One of the overlays in one of them was called infrasound. Sounded good so in went the text.
Tweaked in Snapseed and finished with infinite painter to do the paint splattering.

Nice. I like the inclusion of the figure — someone producing and/or listening to the sound. And wow, his hands . . .

I was the one to judge, thank you! :D And since I was, I did have to figure out what was an appstract and what wasn't. So...

Since zenjenny titled the series "APPstract" rather than "Abstract," I figured the image didn't have to be abstract in the formal sense, which is good because I'm not sure what a formal definition would be. But what distinguishes an appstract from a photograph? A photograph, I think, is a scene captured all at once, and that capture determines the layout or composition of the image, however much it gets Snapseeded along the way. An appstract, on the other hand, is something constructed (possibly from pieces of photographs), where the composition comes from the imagination.

It's not much, but it got me through the judging.

Perfect simple clear distinction :thumbs: Bonus: Avoids further obfuscation around the camera settings (exposure focus yada) . That’ll do :). I’ll have a search and see if I can find a source

I was the one to judge, thank you! :D And since I was, I did have to figure out what was an appstract and what wasn't. So...

Since zenjenny titled the series "APPstract" rather than "Abstract," I figured the image didn't have to be abstract in the formal sense, which is good because I'm not sure what a formal definition would be. But what distinguishes an appstract from a photograph? A photograph, I think, is a scene captured all at once, and that capture determines the layout or composition of the image, however much it gets Snapseeded along the way. An appstract, on the other hand, is something constructed (possibly from pieces of photographs), where the composition comes from the imagination.

It's not much, but it got me through the judging.
I too have been struggling a bit with the definitions of image categories around abstract and APPstract. Abstract seems to range from painters randomly hurling blobs of paint at a canvas and maybe end up with something that looks interesting but doesn’t really have any thinking behind it to a simple photo of something seen but in an unusual way, you may not even recognize the thing anymore, but the abstraction is in how it was seen, the context or out of context. Neither of those involve apps, of course.
Maybe it’s the drop cloth on the floor that turns out to be art rather than what the artist was working on on the canvas.
In any case I’m finding APPstract to be very educational. Seeing the thinking behind the work is sometimes more interesting than the results. I mean the results are certainly interesting but seeing the process, methodology, and the personal narrative behind the images is really fascinating. It is like being able to ride along on someone else’s flight of fancy and see the thoughts coming into being.

So you don’t have digital copies of your physical collages? You might find after the last two years that you have much more knowledge than you did then. Would be worth having a go now.
I only made a few. I think I took a photo of one. We have winter break next month so maybe I’ll dig out the envelope and give it a try.

So beautiful! ‘What everyone else has said’ -especially that lovely chalky pastelly background. Good on you for taking the idea home and making your own version :notworthy: :thumbs:

I love that moment when I see a piece of art and think ‘ooh, you can do this or this with that and that’.... yesterday I saw a piece with bits of watercolour background and strong ink lines over a faint ‘monoprint’, whatever that is. But seeing the composition - those things put together that way - was inspiring.
Thank you :notworthy:.

View attachment 119475
Simply stunning... :inlove::notworthy::inlove: This needs to be printed and framed.

View attachment 119569
Anger - two images blended in Diana. One that's been on mobitog and an out-take. Then snapseeded for extra in yer face colour.
It sort of represents how I feel at the moment.

Looks kindof molten at first glance - lots of different textures, too. Knowing it’s a DE with a bit of SnapSeed has me trying to guess the image we’ve seen before (I wouldn’t have guessed it was a DE). I’m wondering if it’s one of your bus stop/ rain-beaded glass images....but it’s a guess.

Nice one: thanks for contributing :thumbs:

View attachment 119569
Anger - two images blended in Diana. One that's been on mobitog and an out-take. Then snapseeded for extra in yer face colour.
It sort of represents how I feel at the moment.
:lol: I wonder why? Anyway, whyever it was produced I love the vibrancy and movement in it. Even though I’ve produced a pastel image for this thread, I am drawn more to this and zenjenny Jen’s and deepop David’s and, well just about everybody elses.

Back
Top Bottom