APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #3 No Theme

Archimedes
iColorama
7F94248F-3707-40F4-8E3B-75EC0E21A6A0.jpeg

Again, no real backstory. I knew I wanted some lines a la Star, but other than that just playing around with some downloaded artwork.

Rising from the radioactive lagoon...
687E3406-9643-41F1-9ADA-0FD0F60D8D01.jpeg

I wish I could pre-visualize this and work towards the objective but it’s more like one of those daily drawing exercises where you make a random squiggle on the page and then see what you can make from it. At some point it takes on a direction.
I was trying to make some painted backgrounds in Procreate that I could use as a basis to build on. I was using WheelMasks to create more limited colour palettes and these can be exported directly into Procreate. That helps me restrain myself from picking colours that are a bit too extreme. (The larger dragonfly came later from another source).
Then, experimenting with a variety of Procreate brushes. I got a couple of backgrounds that looked promising and fractured them in Painnt, which is much like BeCasso except a lot slower. I really liked the full resolution version but the lower resolution version gave a more abstract result. Somewhere in this stage I began to see where it was heading. I worked towards a radioactive swamp with luminous green water and strange gaseous bubbles and tendrils rising from the swamp. I really liked the extra depth the picture gained at this point.
Then I added the larger glowing dragonfly recycled from a previous project, this time using Affinity Photo. At this point I’m thinking the dragonfly should face the opposite direction. Fortunately I can easily enough go back and try that.
Edit: What do you think of this second version?
740B429B-890C-4552-A81F-065CDE97AE1B.jpeg

Last edited:
A room spanning 2 dimensions.
2AEFF102-9898-4D2D-8331-50C186477328.jpeg

I found the original photo interesting enough. It is somebody’s living room but feels more like a waiting room. The photo was first sliced in some forgotten app (could have been aremaC) and then passed through Painnt or BeCasso or something similar. One thing I find interesting about this type of work - even though I just made it yesterday and today, it is exceedingly unlikely I could recreate it.

Rising from the radioactive lagoon...
View attachment 119615
I wish I could pre-visualize this and work towards the objective but it’s more like one of those daily drawing exercises where you make a random squiggle on the page and then see what you can make from it. At some point it takes on a direction.
I was trying to make some painted backgrounds in Procreate that I could use as a basis to build on. I was using WheelMasks to create more limited colour palettes and these can be exported directly into Procreate. That helps me restrain myself from picking colours that are a bit too extreme. (The larger dragonfly came later from another source).
Then, experimenting with a variety of Procreate brushes. I got a couple of backgrounds that looked promising and fractured them in Painnt, which is much like BeCasso except a lot slower. I really liked the full resolution version but the lower resolution version gave a more abstract result. Somewhere in this stage I began to see where it was heading. I worked towards a radioactive swamp with luminous green water and strange gaseous bubbles and tendrils rising from the swamp. I really liked the extra depth the picture gained at this point.
Then I added the larger glowing dragonfly recycled from a previous project, this time using Affinity Photo. At this point I’m thinking the dragonfly should face the opposite direction. Fortunately I can easily enough go back and try that.
Edit: What do you think of this second version?
View attachment 119616
I keep going back and forth between the two and find I like both. I guess the one with dragonflies facing different directions feels more right (?) to me.

Three attempts
5EF6C6BB-9DE2-4EB2-8505-3D6792E635AF.jpeg

Slow Shutter, Hipstamatic, A Color Story

This APPstract Image, presents the moment when I was in Paradise, and I tried to eat - as a good fish - a fruit from the Tree of Good and Evil. I threw them both, if you can appreciate them. I did not like neither. By chance a journalist was passing by and also tried to write a brief report on the case. Also (also!) I tried to include some of his words in the image. I do not know if I succeeded.

263D5247-F55A-4159-B665-18C5B68B46C1.jpeg

Nature laughs at your walls
Mostly iColorama

I hadn't had a single second of inspiration all week -- imagination on vacation, cell phone off. I'd tried combining and layering anything and everything, but it all just sat there, inert, no plan, no story. Tonight (Thursday night) I was despondently flipping through a bunch of recent variations (combinations of earlier combinations), when a version of this one caught my eye. So I opened it again in iColorama and started to play with it a bit more and then the title came to bring it into focus. The sketchy look seemed to suit it.

Last edited:
Three attempts
View attachment 119670
Slow Shutter, Hipstamatic, A Color Story

This APPstract Image, presents the moment when I was in Paradise, and I tried to eat - as a good fish - a fruit from the Tree of Good and Evil. I threw them both, if you can appreciate them. I did not like neither. By chance a journalist was passing by and also tried to write a brief report on the case. Also (also!) I tried to include some of his words in the image. I do not know if I succeeded.

You are a good, kind fish. I am very pleased that you did not eat the journalist.
You should now retire, and consider making a musical about your experiences.

View attachment 119731

Nature laughs at your walls
Mostly iColorama

I hadn't had a single second of inspiration all week -- imagination on vacation, cell phone off. I'd tried combining and layering anything and everything, but it all just sat there, inert, no plan, no story. Tonight (Thursday night) I was despondently flipping through a bunch of recent variations (combinations of earlier combinations), when an version of this one caught my eye. So I opened it again in iColorama and started to play with it a bit more and then the title came to bring it into focus. The sketchy look seemed to suit it.

Fruitloop :mobibabe:

I went into SketchClub looking for a “footprint” brush. Then I got a call from work that school was cancelled due to an ice storm. Several hours later I emerged with an image, but no footprints. View attachment 119660

Nice - I do like those ‘immersive experiences’ :D

And I see you’ve been at the runes again!
I do like those spots — are they from SketchClub ?

(You know you can make brushes in SketchClub, right? I’ve made a few, but I don’t know how to make them opaque - my black comes up translucent :( I suppose I’ll have to find some instructions to read somewhere :rolleyes:)

I went into SketchClub looking for a “footprint” brush. Then I got a call from work that school was cancelled due to an ice storm. Several hours later I emerged with an image, but no footprints. View attachment 119660
Just the other day I was looking through my image bank for some pictures of bird tracks for the purpose of making some Procreate brushes. Most that I found would need some “artwork” to smooth them out a a bit before making the brush file.

A room spanning 2 dimensions.
View attachment 119617
I found the original photo interesting enough. It is somebody’s living room but feels more like a waiting room. The photo was first sliced in some forgotten app (could have been aremaC) and then passed through Painnt or BeCasso or something similar. One thing I find interesting about this type of work - even though I just made it yesterday and today, it is exceedingly unlikely I could recreate it.
Wow.... I love this.

2C2F0D0E-F2FC-4726-B5FF-45D5F12E91AB.jpeg

This work is a brilliantly colored, narrative voice emitted by speakers consisting of transcendental beauty which is reminiscent of the dangers of dark magic and meditating on human suffering.

The work deploys improvisation, choreographed gestures, and reenactment as a dialectic between conflicting discourses of urbanism and ecology.*

SuperimposeX, Pixlr, iColorama, Snapseed, Image Blender

The Infinite Artwork Simulator

View attachment 119772
This work is a brilliantly colored, narrative voice emitted by speakers consisting of transcendental beauty which is reminiscent of the dangers of dark magic and meditating on human suffering.

The work deploys improvisation, choreographed gestures, and reenactment as a dialectic between conflicting discourses of urbanism and ecology.*

:lmao::thumbs:

As I see it, the work deploys personal memories as gesturing toward ambiguous futures, suspended temporality and the destabilization of the reality principle.

View attachment 119772

View attachment 119774
A riff on the previous abstract using some of the first iterations.

:lmao::thumbs:

As I see it, the work deploys personal memories as gesturing toward ambiguous futures, suspended temporality and the destabilization of the reality principle.

Is that an either/or? Or a both/and?

I’m inspired to rush off and create my own iteration of brilliantly destabilised reality and dangerous temporalities . . . However, RoseCat ‘s meditation on transcendental beauty (and terse ‘ wise commentary) bring Weekly APPstract #3 to a close.

Thank you to all contributors :thumbs: :notworthy: :D and additional thanks to all who indulged FundyBrian ’s interest in “what on Earth were you thinking?”

Time for Brian to select his winner/s. Weekly APPstract #4 here

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom