MobiSupporter
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page

ED14013A-8D68-46D2-AA76-F0C71C75135C.jpeg

Welcome to MobiTog’s Weekly APPstract Challenge :)

Rules:

1. Interpret the theme
2. Using apps
3. Tell us something about your interpretation

One week: Friday to Friday
Winner: judges next round and chooses theme (or no theme) for that round

Please see: Rules & Guidelines for MobiChallenges HERE

This week:
Judge: FundyBrian
Theme: No content theme, but Brian ‘would like to hear some backstory about your creations. I’m always curious to know why people do what they do.’

Last edited by a moderator:
62A3DD17-913E-4C1F-8B16-642B83E53C37.jpeg

Starzee kindly allowed me to publish my theft of her people masking images :inlove: which I smudged into two sortof faerie-like figures. Then masked them on to various backgrounds by upping contrast and reducing saturation in Union and tapping Union’s magic eraser wand onto contained areas. Some Pixite Overlays either to create a disco-like feel or to make one figure more ethereal than the other.

18F26D6C-46FC-40A0-AC6E-42DE5DCC46E3.jpeg

Sometimes when I don’t know where to start, I go upstairs to my den and get out a box of magazines and papers, tear some of them up, arrange them on a piece of white paper and then see if I can do anything with it. It’s not always successful but I enjoy the process.

So here’s one I actually used for the last Appstract Challenge and decided to use again
889EF906-CB63-4180-8E8D-37D8CB01ABEC.jpeg

Into ImaEngine to get this
C1A54C13-7EE0-49DD-87AE-8323C63E966A.jpeg

Into iColorama>Deforms to get this
654BB10C-FF68-4455-B668-6005A9E615D3.png

After lots more blending with other pics, masking and adding a new background and border in iColorama
55267B7E-2BD1-48A5-BFC4-183E0478E889.png

Not my favourite but learned a lot along the way.

Sometimes when I don’t know where to start, I go upstairs to my den and get out a box of magazines and papers, tear some of them up, arrange them on a piece of white paper and then see if I can do anything with it. It’s not always successful but I enjoy the process.

So here’s one I actually used for the last Appstract Challenge and decided to use again
View attachment 119453

View attachment 119454

View attachment 119455

After lots more blending with other pics, masking and adding a new background and border in iColorama
View attachment 119456

Like it. Sometimes when I feel uninspired or not sure how to progress I get some paper and crayons/felt tips and draw to see what comes up. Again, not always successful but I enjoy it and it often resets my frame of reference and moves me on.

View attachment 119453

View attachment 119454]

I sometimes forget how good Imaengine is for finding those strong lines and shapes . . . Love that random button :)

View attachment 119453

View attachment 119454

View attachment 119455

View attachment 119456

It’s genius.

Right? I wouldn’t think to put those magazine pieces together. And if I did, I wouldn’t know what to do next.
A couple of years ago I spent several hours cutting out cool images, patterns and words from magazines and books thinking that physical collage would help me with digital collage. I couldn’t stand the idea of being able to use each only once and kept “saving” them for the perfect place. I ultimately threw most of them out. I apparently wasn’t cut out to use my cut outs.

I’ve struggled to come up with anything meaningful for this challenge - I have been trying really hard, I assure you. Then I saw a photograph of a contemporary painting in an exhibition in London at the moment, and I thought I would try to reproduce the background of it in Procreate. With a little help from iColorama too and bits from my camera roll, this is the result.

FDC9AFFB-4169-4FD9-AD4B-989D02E9C913.jpeg

A couple of years ago I spent several hours cutting out cool images, patterns and words from magazines and books thinking that physical collage would help me with digital collage. I couldn’t stand the idea of being able to use each only once and kept “saving” them for the perfect place. I ultimately threw most of them out. I apparently wasn’t cut out to use my cut outs.
:lol: Oh, cut it out! Of course you are.:lmao:

I’ve struggled to come up with anything meaningful for this challenge - I have been trying really hard, I assure you. Then I saw a photograph of a contemporary painting in an exhibition in London at the moment, and I thought I would try to reproduce the background of it in Procreate. With a little help from iColorama too and bits from my camera roll, this is the result.

View attachment 119475
That's impressive :notworthy:! The whole piece has a kind of chalky look, and it's great to see pastels, too.

View attachment 119453

View attachment 119454

View attachment 119455

View attachment 119456

I like what you've done here. I thought some of last weeks entries were more photo manipulation/art than abstract, but who am I to judge ;)

View attachment 119475
Agree with Ted. The color palette is beautiful.

I thought some of last weeks entries were more photo manipulation/art than abstract, but who am I to judge
I was the one to judge, thank you! :D And since I was, I did have to figure out what was an appstract and what wasn't. So...

Since zenjenny titled the series "APPstract" rather than "Abstract," I figured the image didn't have to be abstract in the formal sense, which is good because I'm not sure what a formal definition would be. But what distinguishes an appstract from a photograph? A photograph, I think, is a scene captured all at once, and that capture determines the layout or composition of the image, however much it gets Snapseeded along the way. An appstract, on the other hand, is something constructed (possibly from pieces of photographs), where the composition comes from the imagination.

It's not much, but it got me through the judging.

I was the one to judge, thank you! :D And since I was, I did have to figure out what was an appstract and what wasn't. So...

Since zenjenny titled the series "APPstract" rather than "Abstract," I figured the image didn't have to be abstract in the formal sense, which is good because I'm not sure what a formal definition would be. But what distinguishes an appstract from a photograph? A photograph, I think, is a scene captured all at once, and that capture determines the layout or composition of the image, however much it gets Snapseeded along the way. An appstract, on the other hand, is something constructed (possibly pieces of photographs), where the composition comes from the imagination.

It's not much, but it got me through the judging.
Ted :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom