APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #6 No Theme

Umberto Eco is a great writer, but F’s Pendulum was too dense & complex for me. Name of the Rose was more accessible, but I still had to skip great swathes of dense prose — and thus completely missed great swathes of the plot :oops:

I reckon Salman Rushdie is a much better indicator, Ann - have you read Midnight’s Children or Shame? Bliss :)
I’m glad you said that, because I read most of Name of the Rose, but skipped the long history lessons, so I might have missed things too.

So this is the result of my flower and insect abstract.

View attachment 120766
Apps: Imaengine, Aerograph, Procreate. SuperImposeX

This is the background image which I ran through Imaengine
View attachment 120767

Looking at the result, I couldn’t help but see an image of a person on the left. This is where you can’t predict what you are going to do. I wasn’t going to add a person into the mix but this just leant itself to it.
View attachment 120768

I added the bugs in Procreate that I also transformed using the same setting in Imaengine, cut them out in SuperImpose X, and finally added the person and some extra flowers. Ran the final result through Aerograph.
I came back to this post to see if you could add some more details how you did this. But now that I’m reading it more carefully step-by-step-step I can understand it quite well. Starting right away with Imaengine puts all of your elements into abstraction at the first formative stages of your work. I tend to hang on to the photo elements too long into the process.

I’m glad you said that, because I read most of Name of the Rose, but skipped the long history lessons, so I might have missed things too.
These references to reading a book in a language you don’t really understand gives me the impression that a person would end up with an abstract view of the book.

These references to reading a book in a language you don’t really understand gives me the impression that a person would end up with an abstract view of the book.
Well, I should understand it, because I read it in English. :rolleyes: But there were long boring bits (well, I thought they were) in the middle.

Well, I should understand it, because I read it in English. :rolleyes: But there were long boring bits (well, I thought they were) in the middle.
Ah, yes, English. I can relate to that wit some books. Even so, skipping sections of the book is sort of like dropping out tonal areas of an image, for instance posterizing, which leads to a fractured understanding of the image. I was thinking of other references to Spanish and, I can’t remember the other. I can get by in French but I miss quite a few words.

Here are some iterations of a face made in Face Model and edited only in ameraC.
03089401-B4BD-435E-BF0A-3200DD953D0A.jpeg

They tend to come out rather plastic looking and not very high resolution so they need some post processing. Also they come out with no hair so this hair was added in the HairBeardLite app.

Meantime, while Starzee and I quietly gibber at each other about intentionality
in the nice padded room, it’s time for FundyBrian Brian
to choose his favourite/s for this week :)

And Weekly APPstract #7 is here !
I have engaged the abstract winner selector app which is similar to RoseCat’s art describer program.

APPstract #6: The Winners!

I appreciate that people were willing to try the concept of creating with intention combined with the making of abstract images. In fact, it never occurred to me that this would present a problem to people. From where I am in the abstract biz I’m no further ahead, or behind, using some planning compared to not planning anything. There are so many avenues to explore and I haven’t yet established any particular way of working so it’s all the same to me.

Maybe it’s just where I am at the moment but I want my work to mean something or to convey some sort of meaning or emotion. I find when I work randomly I sometimes produce interesting blobs or patterns but they don’t say anything to me, besides, well there’s an interesting pattern. In order to express something I need to be thinking about it before I start opening apps, and each thing I try I can ask, is this getting closer to where I want to go, or not.

As a friend, I feel some concern when I see creative people limiting their way of working to the way they have always done it before. Abstraction is SO HUGE, so wide open you need to be ready to try anything. Deliberately start out differently every time. Coincidentally, I just recently listened to a podcast called “Breaking Out of Our Resistance Bubble” so I’m feeling especially conscious of areas where I have resistance to entertaining ideas different from my current experience. Another good topic would be to make an abstract using methods you have never used before. So enough of that. Let’s get down to handing out the virtual gold.

I felt every entry showed considerable merit and it wasn’t easy to pick a winner. I’m endlessly in awe of the APPstracts people make on MobiTog.

Numero Uno: zenjenny with her anxiety inducing image -
C07AC16C-4C32-48F9-9441-84F45EC221FA.jpeg

In spite of zenjenny’s misgivings at the results this is quite fascinating to look at.

Peacefully coexisting in Second Place: ImageArt & JillyG, and JillyG & ImageArt. It’s impossible in our linear method of expression to list both at once but that’s the way I’m thinking about it.
A70AB656-01F4-4BB4-B747-DE5525BC83F0.jpeg

So much to explore in this image, but I think the perpetrator is getting away with no one in pursuit.

BD95DF08-0D51-462B-A959-0550D97F6AB7.jpeg

The bird has taken on a very prehistoric look, perhaps the rough hairiness of the edge lines helps to give it that dangerous appearance.

zenjenny - it’s up to you to wipe the slate clean after the way I messed things up and get things back on track.

I appreciate that people were willing to try the concept of creating with intention combined with the making of abstract images. In fact, it never occurred to me that this would present a problem to people. From where I am in the abstract biz I’m no further ahead, or behind, using some planning compared to not planning anything. There are so many avenues to explore and I haven’t yet established any particular way of working so it’s all the same to me.

Maybe it’s just where I am at the moment but I want my work to mean something or to convey some sort of meaning or emotion. I find when I work randomly I sometimes produce interesting blobs or patterns but they don’t say anything to me, besides, well there’s an interesting pattern. In order to express something I need to be thinking about it before I start opening apps, and each thing I try I can ask, is this getting closer to where I want to go, or not.

As a friend, I feel some concern when I see creative people limiting their way of working to the way they have always done it before. Abstraction is SO HUGE, so wide open you need to be ready to try anything. Deliberately start out differently every time. Coincidentally, I just recently listened to a podcast called “Breaking Out of Our Resistance Bubble” so I’m feeling especially conscious of areas where I have resistance to entertaining ideas different from my current experience. Another good topic would be to make an abstract using methods you have never used before. So enough of that. Let’s get down to handing out the virtual gold.

I felt every entry showed considerable merit and it wasn’t easy to pick a winner. I’m endlessly in awe of the APPstracts people make on MobiTog.

View attachment 120913
In spite of zenjenny’s misgivings at the results this is quite fascinating to look at.

Peacefully coexisting in Second Place: ImageArt & JillyG, and JillyG & ImageArt. It’s impossible in our linear method of expression to list both at once but that’s the way I’m thinking about it.
View attachment 120914
So much to explore in this image, but I think the perpetrator is getting away with no one in pursuit.

View attachment 120912
The bird has taken on a very prehistoric look, perhaps the rough hairiness of the edge lines helps to give it that dangerous appearance.

zenjenny - it’s up to you to wipe the slate clean after the way I messed things up and get things back on track.

Thank you Brian for my joint second with the wonderful artwork of ImageArt Ann. And congrats to zenjenny Jen - that’s another of your amazing artworks. I don’t think you messed up Brian. It never does any harm to get us all thinking outside the box - or at least trying to get us to do that.:lol: And I think it sort of worked.:D

After my failed “barn” idea ( not failed, just set aside for a re-think) and continuing to follow the thread, I realized that planning an abstract out specifically may not be realistic. Working from a theme, another thing I’ve never tried with abstracts, until this challenge, is not only do-able but inspirational, at has been least for me.

Also this has reminded me of a game I play when I’m waiting for something that will take a while. I take 3-5 photos in the room, maybe a central image, a texture and something with lighting. Then I wreck. layer, blend and mask away. I guess that would be planning. And it helps pass the time.

My point is that this thread has been very enlightening for me.

Thank you, Brian.

But don’t let it go to your head....
I LOVE this idea. It’s brilliant. And perfect for this Challenge.

They’re more minor variations than branchings out.
View attachment 120891 View attachment 120892

Love that image of what looks like a tired grandson in one of the safest ‘places’ in his little world
(half my working life is about what happens when people don’t have these experiences - so i these pictures are particularly beautiful to me).

FundyBrian thank you for your tireless efforts to educate and inspire us — I don’t think any of us emerge from APPstract #6 quite the same artists that entered :confused: :mobibabe: :thumbs:

I have engaged the abstract winner selector app which is similar to RoseCat’s art describer program.

But with fewer syllables! Thank you for the honour of first place, (even if it was decided by a selector app :alien:) and congrats to the peacefully co-existing ImageArt Ann and JillyG Jilly :inlove: :thumbs:

And I think after all this we should all go and have a cup of tea, a Bex and a nice lie down with tea bags on our eyes — but I have something different in mind for #7 :whistle: :D :whistle: :mobibabe: :whistle:

So please, in your own time, stagger over to the new thread for Art Games !
https://mobitog.com/threads/weekly-appstract-7.23683/

View attachment 120913

View attachment 120914

View attachment 120912

Excellent choices Brian! Congrats zenjenny Jen!! I'm glad your lady got the crown. :mobibabe:
And brava to JillyG and ImageArt Ann... both intriguing and beautiful works of art. :inlove:

View attachment 120913

View attachment 120914

View attachment 120912

Well done, Jen! And great manip, Jilly. Thanks Brian for my third.

Back
Top Bottom