APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #6 No Theme

I often use iColorama as a tuning app at the end of a process as well as in the middle. When different elements seem disjointed, a process in IC will often make it more ‘harmonious’ such as reduced Style>Coherence followed by Adjust>EQ which sharpens it again.
Yes, I frequently use Coherence that way on assembled/collaged images, too. A light touch of Coherence/1 can smooth some rough/pixelated edges and pull things together overall. I also find that WaterB 1 or 2 with the texture turned all the way down and the opacity somewhat reduced will help flatten an image that looks too 3D for what I want. It's so easy to get lost in all the nooks and crannies of iC that I sometimes forget I can use it along with other apps.

So I'm struggling with this idea of intentionality, of deciding what to create before beginning because it seems to me that creating the image in your head is functionally the same as creating the image on a screen, the difference is the scratch pad you do the initial work on.
Either way you often start by mashing thoughts, images and feelings around until something resonates with you. And I'm aware ideas and images can jump out of your subconscious quite quickly and well formed but I find that's true on a screen too.

With that out the way, I'm going to fall back on stuff I learnt in my early life with physical media and draw something. It'll be figurative, montone, a bit graphicy, pop artish and rely on pattern.
If I get that done than a photomanip after the style of Rene Magritte, just because The Treachery of Images is one of my favourites.

These are both within my comfort zone but not on a mobile device.

So I'm struggling with this idea of intentionality, of deciding what to create before beginning because it seems to me that creating the image in your head is functionally the same as creating the image on a screen, the difference is the scratch pad you do the initial work on.
Either way you often start by mashing thoughts, images and feelings around until something resonates with you. And I'm aware ideas and images can jump out of your subconscious quite quickly and well formed but I find that's true on a screen too.

With that out the way, I'm going to fall back on stuff I learnt in my early life with physical media and draw something. It'll be figurative, montone, a bit graphicy, pop artish and rely on pattern.
If I get that done than a photomanip after the style of Rene Magritte, just because The Treachery of Images is one of my favourites.

0008C666-FDDA-42BA-826C-D706F6984E4E.png

The other day I saw an abstract painting at the library. It was a headshot of a soldier. It really looked as though the artist set out to paint an abstract of a soldier. I have no idea how well formed the artist’s mental image was before starting out. It may have been vague or perhaps a sketch was made in advance. But it was definitely abstract and most certainly not accidental.

If you look at the description I wrote of the meditation abstract I want to make I have no firm idea yet what it will look like. A vague idea, yes. Just a general impression of what I’m working towards. I’m not expecting much more than that from intentional abstraction. I think the difference is that since I have an objective in mind I will be more selective in my Happy accidents. Rejecting the ones that don’t seem to lead in the right direction and favouring ones that look more promising. That’s what I usually do when making an abstract anyhow except this time I have a specific direction in mind so the selection process is more focused.

Okay, so this was *sort of* created with intention. The base was created for the MobiColor Challenge... the theme is “books” and “bold colors”. So I blended an image of a library interior with a NYC street shot. I wanted to make the rather bland interior library more surreal. That was the intentional part.

I then selected an early version pre-color pop of the above-mentioned creation for this challenge, and to make it abstract I zapped it again in iColorama and Pixlr. What resulted from that second apping session wasn’t intentional at all, other than the intention to make it more abstract. :confused:

48FBAC93-C836-43C4-A5E0-99F97C09887C.jpeg

SuperimposeX, iColorama, Pixlr, Snapseed

EDIT: Here’s a cropped version... I think I prefer this one.

381F317C-AB19-409C-B3FB-D9A53DD2CB56.jpeg

Last edited:

You've said more eloquently what I've thought for a while about 'abstract' art on a mobile device. I get abstract photography, I like to think a few of mine come into that category and I get abstract painting / drawing.
But trying to make any mobile image into an abstract 'piece' just seems alien to me and maybe Starzee and her barn photo proves this?
I don't think you can take any random image and make it into something else anymore than you can take a bad photo and somehow make it fantastic using apps.
Having said that, a lot of images come up in these threads that I think are amazing, but these are usually where someone takes pieces of things and blends them together, zenjenny I'm looking at you. Or someone starts with a blank canvas maybe, but this is surely painting not photography?

I don't think you can take any random image and make it into something else anymore than you can take a bad photo and somehow make it fantastic using apps.
Hmmmmm.... that’s pretty much how I’ve created most of my abstracts. This one is an oldie (2013), but it started out as a random image I took (now I wish I’d saved all the original images along with the abstract final pieces for comparison).

995DF0E3-9449-4CD7-B305-F574CA3D8AC7.jpeg

p.s. I used to title some of the abstracts... this one is "And a rock feels no pain; And an island never cries." ~Paul Simon

Last edited:
4.50 From Paddington

I’m sorry that I couldn’t tell you what I was planning before I posted Brian, but I wasn’t sure that I had all the elements to make the image. I wanted to illustrate the book 4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie. It’s about a woman who is strangled on a train and her body hidden in a sarcophagus in a barn on an old country estate. Several people are also poisoned. Typed letters form the basis of the red herring, hence the typewriter. There’s also a skeleton in there somewhere.:D

24B9EA45-5166-40AD-98E5-7AA11A9DC566.jpeg

Not sure about it being properly abstract, but I did use several apps to make it.
Snapseed, iColorama, SuperimposeX, Phonto

4.50 From Paddington

I’m sorry that I couldn’t tell you what I was planning before I posted Brian, but I wasn’t sure that I had all the elements to make the image. I wanted to illustrate the book 4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie. It’s about a woman who is strangled on a train and her body hidden in a sarcophagus in a barn on an old country estate. Several people are also poisoned. Typed letters form the basis of the red herring, hence the typewriter. There’s also a skeleton in there somewhere.:D

View attachment 120764
Not sure about it being properly abstract, but I did use several apps to make it.
Wow!!! This is awesome.... makes me want to read the book. I think it’s perfectly abstract.

4.50 From Paddington

View attachment 120764
I love it too but I'm saying no more :zip:

I’m not sure what you mean by planning something in advance but my intention is to create an abstract piece from the nature pics I’ve been taking on holiday. The first piece will be flowers and insects in an abstract form. The second piece I want to use a bird with an aloe in an abstract form. I can’t tell you how I will put it together until I see what looks best in the composition.

4.50 From Paddington

View attachment 120764
I love it!

Wow!!! This is awesome.... makes me want to read the book. I think it’s perfectly abstract.
:kissingcat: It’s a typical Agatha Christie. I’ve read it loads of times and the version I’m reading at the mo is in Spanish. I read it every night to try to get something to stick in the old brain.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm.... that’s pretty much how I’ve created most of my abstracts. This one is an oldie (2013), but it started out as a random image I took (now I wish I’d saved all the original images along with the abstract final pieces for comparison).

View attachment 120763

p.s. I used to title some of the abstracts... this one is "And a rock feels no pain; And an island never cries." ~Paul Simon
This is beautiful. We rarely see the Abstract Cat nowadays and when I look at this, I miss her.:hearteyecat: Hopefully, this challenge will see her renaissance.

I’m not sure what you mean by planning something in advance but my intention is to create an abstract piece from the nature pics I’ve been taking on holiday. The first piece will be flowers and insects in an abstract form. The second piece I want to use a bird with an aloe in an abstract form. I can’t tell you how I will put it together until I see what looks best in the composition.
It’s possible that some people have the misimpression I expect them to previsualize every detail of their abstract piece before beginning. I’m not saying I think that’s impossible but the nature of APPstraction lends itself to some exploration, experimentation, and happy accidents. But it should be possible to have an general mental image of what you’re trying to do before you begin.

So this is the result of my flower and insect abstract.

DB1EE32C-C26C-46D0-AAD9-6259A2635756.jpeg

Apps: Imaengine, Aerograph, Procreate. SuperImposeX

This is the background image which I ran through Imaengine
656B5ED1-263A-485F-91CE-9613C9759CB2.png

Looking at the result, I couldn’t help but see an image of a person on the left. This is where you can’t predict what you are going to do. I wasn’t going to add a person into the mix but this just leant itself to it.
5955C7AE-A5E9-42E2-ACC3-1998DBC141AB.jpeg

I added the bugs in Procreate that I also transformed using the same setting in Imaengine, cut them out in SuperImpose X, and finally added the person and some extra flowers. Ran the final result through Aerograph.

4.50 From Paddington

View attachment 120764
It is perfectly clear by your description that you had a good idea what you were wanting to create. Illustrating the story set definite limits on what you could include but the story also suggested themes and elements that could contribute to your piece. To me this completely fits the criterion of creating with intention. Even when you didn’t know if you would be able to gather the necessary elements to complete the piece to your satisfaction you were already well on your way to imagining what it could look like. Perhaps we could elaborate on this and say you could imagine several possible outcomes and only when it came time to juggle the elements could you see which parts would become the dominant ones. It is only one tiny step more confident to post in advance what you were planning to make.

So this is the result of my flower and insect abstract.

View attachment 120766
Apps: Imaengine, Aerograph, Procreate. SuperImposeX

This is the background image which I ran through Imaengine
View attachment 120767

Looking at the result, I couldn’t help but see an image of a person on the left. This is where you can’t predict what you are going to do. I wasn’t going to add a person into the mix but this just leant itself to it.
View attachment 120768

I added the bugs in Procreate that I also transformed using the same setting in Imaengine, cut them out in SuperImpose X, and finally added the person and some extra flowers. Ran the final result through Aerograph.
Even your brief description earlier of what you had in mind can easily be seen in your final result. There’s definitely intention there. The person shape that appeared is one of those happy accidents you may discover along the way and decide if it contributes on not.

It is perfectly clear by your description that you had a good idea what you were wanting to create. Illustrating the story set definite limits on what you could include but the story also suggested themes and elements that could contribute to your piece. To me this completely fits the criterion of creating with intention. Even when you didn’t know if you would be able to gather the necessary elements to complete the piece to your satisfaction you were already well on your way to imagining what it could look like. Perhaps we could elaborate on this and say you could imagine several possible outcomes and only when it came time to juggle the elements could you see which parts would become the dominant ones. It is only one tiny step more confident to post in advance what you were planning to make.
Yes, you’re right. The main part was the train in the station. I knew that was going to be the base, but what went on top and where came about by experimentation. That’s my fingerprint by the way. Not from any criminal record, but I did get covered in green ink when I was making it.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom