APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #6 No Theme

Lowry stripes: Another app I’d forgotten about! I like the bold colours - to my eye they suit the simple (bold) geometrics. And I like those dots - are they from your previous dotty image? (I think I mentioned I have a bit of a thing about dots and spots),
Yep. Wish I could remember where I took it! It’s called LoryStripes, it was a typo.

Meditation.
View attachment 120786
Since I didn’t have any pictures of someone meditating I started by creating the meditator in a figure posing app - MagicPoser. The result looked sort of plastic so it needed a lot of rendering to make it more like a comic - Clip2Comic. The inspiration for the nearer cloud comes from some basic meditation instruction about how to deal with stray thoughts that arise while you are trying to just experience awareness - watch the thoughts come and go as clouds passing by in the sky.

The basic part of the image, the meditator sitting at the beach is pretty much as I imagined it. It is an idealized image that I can project myself into. It is just the sort of setting I would choose if I was going to meditate at the beach. Finding the right beach setting photo was more difficult than I expected, even though I have thousands. I used iColorama (what?, yes iColorama) to simplify the background. I struggled with making it “abstract enough”. Actually I liked the plain version better but it looked too much like a photo composite. Whenever it started to become more abstract I pulled back because I liked the photo rendition better. I tried all sorts of apps but didn’t like the results.

I guess the next thing I will try is starting over with the same elements but rendering them in a much more limited range. Posterized to maybe 4 levels.

Apps used: Procreate, Affinity Photo, iColorama, Painnt, SkyLab, Clip2Comic, and about 12 others whose contributions didn’t make the cut.

Wow, Brian - reading about your process is as interesting as the images you are producing.
My first thought is ‘omg I’m really missing a lot of possibilities by not-learning affinity icolorama Procreate SuperimposeX and a few others’.
Next thought: that sky is so good ...
next: I wonder what is ‘abstract enough’?
Next I hardly dare say: have you done any versions where you very-abstracted some bits and barely-abstracted others?

:kissingcat: It’s a typical Agatha Christie. I’ve read it loads of times and the version I’m reading at the mo is in Spanish. I read it every night to try to get something to stick in the old brain.:rolleyes:

:lmao: In my Hons year I read Remembrance of things past in French. By which I mean I ‘pronounced’ the words in my head, admired the look of them, and wondered wtf most of them meant. (Because of course I know about five words of French). I thought Proust deserved the respect , or I deserved the experience or something. I tried with Foucault as well, and although I gave up after two pages of Archaeology of Knowledge, I’m fairly confident that it would have been no harder to read it in French (or Greek or Swahili) than it was to read it in English.

Edit: Volume 1 of ROTP only. But I read every word of it :)

:lmao: In my Hons year I read Remembrance of things past in French. By which I mean I ‘pronounced’ the words in my head, admired the look of them, and wondered wtf most of them meant. (Because of course I know about five words of French). I thought Proust deserved the respect , or I deserved the experience or something. I tried with Foucault as well, and although I gave up after two pages of Archaeology of Knowledge, I’m fairly confident that it would have been no harder to read it in French (or Greek or Swahili) than it was to read it in English.

Edit: Volume 1 of ROTP only. But I read every word of it :)
:lmao:

Well. Here’s another try. We’re in the middle of a big snowstorm at the moment so I don’t know how well I can send.
56AFBB2E-2227-4E7B-8394-3AEE31A20FF0.jpeg

I went back to the original beach photo and patched in some foreground sand from another beach photo because the original had too many pebbles that were giving too much “noisy” details.
Redid the meditator somewhat, too. The same 3 elements, just redone. I really wanted to make something more like ImageArt - Ann’s flower picture but I guess my basic parts have too much detail. I like this well enough but I still don’t have the hang of the more fundamental abstract.
Quite a lot of brush work in Procreate.

2465685C-D6A6-4184-A585-85C5BE9965B6.jpeg

Just for fun I added this rendition from Aerograph. Which do you like better?

By the way, I’m curious what people think of my person made in the art poser app.

Well. Here’s another try. We’re in the middle of a big snowstorm at the moment so I don’t know how well I can send.
View attachment 120821
I went back to the original beach photo and patched in some foreground sand from another beach photo because the original had too many pebbles that were giving too much “noisy” details.
Redid the meditator somewhat, too. The same 3 elements, just redone. I really wanted to make something more like ImageArt - Ann’s flower picture but I guess my basic parts have too much detail. I like this well enough but I still don’t have the hang of the more fundamental abstract.
Quite a lot of brush work in Procreate.

View attachment 120822
Just for fun I added this rendition from Aerograph. Which do you like better?

By the way, I’m curious what people think of my person made in the art poser app.
I kinda like the birds....

I rather like your posed person. I have ArtPose, the male and female editions. I find it maddening to get them posed and then I have to paint clothes on, something I’m not very good at. Perhaps MagicPose is more user friendly?

This idea of planning an abstract for a weekly challenge was new for me. On reflection, I wouldn’t do it again with a (not very long, taking into account work and other deadlines - which, although obviously not as pressing, still pay the mortgage).

The main difference I noticed between following a plan and following the canvas, sotospeak, was how anxious I got when something didn’t work ACCORDING TO THE PLAN!!! :lmao: Normally if something goes wrong I either work with it (if it’s an interesting-looking mistake) or ditch it and start again (if it’s not).

This image isn’t how I imagined it, there’s a few things I’m not happy with (again, wouldn’t matter so much if I wasn’t WORKING TO A PLAN!!! :p ) but I’m working all day Friday and after all this I’m going to put up an image, dammit.

The montage below shows about 1/4 of the saved steps, but the basics are shown: my own bg (SketchClub, Pixlr, Formulas), some elements from SketchClub, more from Mixerpiece, then mainly blending and erasing and overlaying in Repix Union Formulas and SnapSeed.

So thanks FundyBrian for the idea - I’ve learned something more about the story I have in my head about “me and art”.

7F8E9147-23AA-43ED-9F53-B7FF82745227.jpeg

I kinda like the birds....

I rather like your posed person. I have ArtPose, the male and female editions. I find it maddening to get them posed and then I have to paint clothes on, something I’m not very good at. Perhaps MagicPose is more user friendly?
It turns out I have two figure posers, MagicPoser & Easy Poser and it was actually Easy Poser I used using the Super Hero female. The other figures are more like Manga characters, which is fine I suppose but oddly proportioned for anything else. Getting the figure posed like I did wasn’t too hard but it was tedious selecting points and making one tiny change at a time. The hands actually look a lot better from the front. It would be OK for drawing since you could correct the oddities. Otherwise, abstracted. It doesn’t have any options for clothes besides the workout outfit.
There’s another I tried called Prêt-A-Template which appears to be made for clothing fashion designers. It has several clothes types to select and paint but the overall proportion of the bodies require a lot of distortion to get anywhere close to realistic. The legs are about 1/3 too long. Not much option for changing the poses.

This idea of planning an abstract for a weekly challenge was new for me. On reflection, I wouldn’t do it again with a (not very long, taking into account work and other deadlines - which, although obviously not as pressing, still pay the mortgage).

The main difference I noticed between following a plan and following the canvas, sotospeak, was how anxious I got when something didn’t work ACCORDING TO THE PLAN!!! :lmao: Normally if something goes wrong I either work with it (if it’s an interesting-looking mistake) or ditch it and start again (if it’s not).

This image isn’t how I imagined it, there’s a few things I’m not happy with (again, wouldn’t matter so much if I wasn’t WORKING TO A PLAN!!! :p ) but I’m working all day Friday and after all this I’m going to put up an image, dammit.

The montage below shows about 1/4 of the saved steps, but the basics are shown: my own bg (SketchClub, Pixlr, Formulas), some elements from SketchClub, more from Mixerpiece, then mainly blending and erasing and overlaying in Repix Union Formulas and SnapSeed.

So thanks FundyBrian for the idea - I’ve learned something more about the story I have in my head about “me and art”.

View attachment 120843
I wish I could have seen this as a video to see it unfold. It sounds quite fascinating.
Somehow I had not imagined a “plan” exactly, more like an overall impression of the direction you planned to go. Even so, people develop a certain order of working. Although, when making abstract projects, just starting with making a background has some intention to it. Your choice of colour, texture, etc., that you imagine will be in keeping with what you are trying to make. You probably know from experience that in order to achieve certain things you will follow some order of working, even if the exact steps require some experimentation. You know what elements you want to be on top and which farther back, etc. It is easy enough to change the order of layers of move pieces around at any time, pick a different background, etc.

It strikes me that making abstracts requires a certain amount of openness in accepting whatever comes up and going with it if it looks promising. I must confess I was surprised by the amount of resistance I felt from people at the start of this round. I really expected creative people to be a lot more curious and open to trying new things, rather than, I never do it that way and that’s it.

Would you say that the majority of abstracts are simply “throwing paint at the canvas” with no idea whatever of what the result will be? Even the throwing of paint at a canvas has some selection of colours and more or less where on the canvas the blobs land. It must be more than looking for artistically splatted bird droppings. Probably some overall wash of background colours first.

Many of the abstracts I see on MobiTog obviously have some amount of intention to them. The type of elements they contain suggests some selection and the way they are placed suggests composition. The choice of colours, etc. There’s a lot more intention there than people realize. Maybe it is just a matter of recognizing the amount of intention behind the seeming randomness. Even the mechanical man-made things like rectangles or dots are not just dropped any old place but are positioned with some care.

Even when using something with no real control, like Decim8, you try maybe 50 times but save only one or two that look interesting. Does that not show some intention?

Last edited:
It strikes me that making abstracts requires a certain amount of openness in accepting whatever comes up and going with it if it looks promising. I must confess I was surprised by the amount of resistance I felt from people at the start of this round. I really expected creative people to be a lot more curious and open to trying new things, rather than, I never do it that way and that’s it.
Pondering this, I think, for me anyway, “trying new things” would be more along the lines of using a new app, or creating something with only two colors, or trying a new technique like incorporating drawing into a piece.... Trying to come up with an idea, then putting down in writing my thought processes and steps to achieving that feels more like homework that I would have tried to avoid doing in class, or put off until the night before it was due and then stay up all night getting it done. :lol: It doesn’t *feel* creative to me, but more an annoyance. Especially with the genre of “abstract”. I think that’s because I’m not really an intellectual, especially when it comes to photography... I don’t like to write (I can, and have, but it’s like pulling teeth to get it out). I love talking about ideas and things that are interesting to me... but it’s usually not about technical aspects, but more how it makes me feel, what did you experience, how did it make you feel, etc. I hope I’m expressing myself adequately.... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom