APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #8 Steal the Style

(Hoping this qualifies as "abstract")
Turner-esque: At Antonelli Pond

CB3DCEC7-BFC5-4FD6-BCDF-C3D60BB00241.jpeg

Slow Shutter Cam (15 second exposure + intentional camera movement), DistressedFX Plus, iColorama, ACDSee Pro, iColorama again.

I went looking for this on the Pinterest Art Games board but didn’t see it. What’s it all about?

It’s there now, sorry, I forgot :oops:

It’s a colour-by-numbers template for a Mondrian-type block painting. In my contribution below, I’ve used it as a mask. Instead of M’s famous three primary colours, I have used three of my collages and then ‘unified’ them a bit with filters in Shift and Hipsta.

I chose Mark Rothko cuz I figured I might succeed playing with colored blocks.
Pixelmator, iCoorama
View attachment 121504

I love Rothko’s blocks - they make me happy just looking at them.

And I love your reworking if the style. I like the palette (that indigo/violet :inlove:) The transparent block and that little line of palette (?) marks are a nice touch.

(Hoping this qualifies as "abstract")
Turner-esque: At Antonelli Pond

View attachment 121503

Slow Shutter Cam (15 second exposure + intentional camera movement), DistressedFX Plus, iColorama, ACDSee Pro, iColorama again.

We’ll have to ask sinnerjohn if it ‘qualifies as an abstract’, but it certainly meets our judge’s theme. And I love it. So, what else do you want? :mobibabe:

4156EFF9-2707-4CFE-8721-51621A5C3942.jpeg

15681D27-86C4-44B1-9796-392A78ABEB00.jpeg

17822375-AC01-49BF-BC63-787009F9FB3F.jpeg

The Mondrian template is attached below if anyone wants a larger version.

Three of my collages masked in according to the template [colour by] numbers. Then about three million random edits with Hipsta and Shift, tidied up in SnapSeed .

I so want to do one of his M’s trees. I think they’re breathtakingly beautiful. And, for the first time ever, my breezy ‘just play and see what comes up’ is wavering. A bit like in Brian’s invitation to plan a piece - suddenly there’s anxiety about ‘messing it up’ . In an ‘Art Games’ thread, if you don’t mind :lmao:

ValeriGail, we need your input here :inlove:

Attachments

• 206BE7F0-D156-4C38-86F5-C8D6E0FAFE03.jpeg
    206BE7F0-D156-4C38-86F5-C8D6E0FAFE03.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 6784E82C-21B5-4BA3-899F-D3FE698E7CBC.jpeg
    6784E82C-21B5-4BA3-899F-D3FE698E7CBC.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2
Thank you! I knew I saw a tute where they filled in, but couldn’t recreate it!
You can also do colour fills by simply dragging the current colour from the colour dot at the top right onto any closed space. You have to sort of pause before you drag the colour and when you have it properly selected you see a coloured circle follow your finger or pencil tip to the area you want to fill. But this only makes solid colour fills. Much easier, though. Called the Colour Drop Tool.

Edit: while on the topic of the colour dot, a long press on the dot will go back to the previous colour, so you can easily alternate between two colours when painting. This is very handy when masking as you end up using both black and white often.

Another Edit: if your enclosing shape is not exactly closed it would normally just fill the whole canvas... but... when you drop your fill colour, don’t let go of the spot for a second and a new adjustment slider will appear that controls the sensitivity of the fill. Lowering the intensity will allow you to fill an unclouded shape. Also, somwetimes the lines you draw are not completely solid in tone but have pixels fading towards white at the edges. So... when you drop your fill colour there can be a halo of white specks around the inner edge of the outline. Instead, when you drop your fill colour hold for a second until the sensitivity slider appears and INCREASE the sensitivity to fill in more of those stray white pixels. It might not get them all but it really makes a difference.

And: When you have a shape layer and you want to colour it in on a different layer just identify that shape layer as “reference” and your painting on the other layer will be confined to the shape.

Last edited:
View attachment 121536

View attachment 121537

View attachment 121534

Three of my collages masked in according to the template [colour by] numbers. Then about three million random edits with Hipsta and Shift, tidied up in SnapSeed .

I so want to do one of his M’s trees. I think they’re breathtakingly beautiful. And, for the first time ever, my breezy ‘just play and see what comes up’ is wavering. A bit like in Brian’s invitation to plan a piece - suddenly there’s anxiety about ‘messing it up’ . In an ‘Art Games’ thread, if you don’t mind :lmao:

Rather than feeling anxiety try feeling the excitement of an idea blooming. There’s always the back-step arrow if it doesn’t turn out as planned.

Can I get some info/advice about drawing/painting apps? It’s too hard to learn everything about every app I have, let alone remember what apps I have.

If I already have Procreate, do SketchClub, ArtRage, and InspirePro (etc.) give me anything that Procreate doesn’t have?

Likewise, if I already have Affinity Designer, do Graphic, ArtStudio Pro, GraphPad, Sketches Pro, give me anything I don’t have in Designer?
OK an exception is Skribl - it has some interesting line forms I haven’t seen anywhere else.
No, I don’t think you need any of the rest. I like the Sketchy brush sometimes in SketchClub which will sometimes lead me there instead of Procreate. And the vector tool.

This is my attempt to try and emulate a Robert Delauney painting. I tried to use his colours as much as possible.

iColorama, Glaze
D76C3282-94AD-4875-BDA2-CFA336822782.jpeg

This is one of the versions that came out of Glaze which isn’t really his paint style but which I prefer.
AE48F651-06B3-45C7-82CD-C37C97C581EE.jpeg

Here’s some of the steps. I started off in IC with the Paint tool using circles.
61994DBD-B904-4344-AC1A-89BBF384557D.jpeg

Then to get some of the paint intersections I made a bw image with squares.
EBF88FBD-E5BC-4963-A3BD-3F2F985538E8.jpeg

I then blended these two images together and ran it through Glaze to get a painterly look. To reduce the strong Glaze look I blended it back in IC with the unGlazed version at reduced opacity.

Last edited:
This is my attempt to try and emulate a Robert Delauney painting. I tried to use his colours as much as possible.

iColorama, Glaze
View attachment 121540

This is one of the versions that came out of Glaze which isn’t really his paint style but which I prefer.
View attachment 121541

Here’s some of the steps. I started off in IC with the Paint tool using circles.
View attachment 121542

View attachment 121543

I then blended these two images together and ran it through Glaze to get a painterly look. To reduce the strong Glaze look I blended it back in IC with the unGlazed version at reduced opacity.
Wonderful. Had to go and look at his work and you’ve paid tribute to it beautifully.:thumbs: I really like the unGlazed one.

View attachment 121536

View attachment 121537

View attachment 121534

Marvellous. Mondrian meets Klimt - a perfect combo.

I chose Mark Rothko cuz I figured I might succeed playing with colored blocks.
Pixelmator, iCoorama
View attachment 121504
If Rothko could see this he’d definitely wish he’d thought of it. I love the way that purple-y blue rectangle-y square block in the middle sort of wraps itself over the green.:thumbs:

No, I don’t think you need any of the rest. I like the Sketchy brush sometimes in SketchClub which will sometimes lead me there instead of Procreate. And the vector tool.
Have you investigated QuickShape in Procreate. You effectively get a temporary editable vector shape until you tap off of the shape. Quickly draw editable geometric shapes or even more complex shapes and still be able to close the object shape or move the control points around to edit the shape.

iColorama, Glaze
View attachment 121540

View attachment 121541

View attachment 121542

View attachment 121543

Fantastic. I love the 1st one.

iColorama, Glaze
View attachment 121540

View attachment 121541

View attachment 121542

View attachment 121543

Wow - I’m getting double education here ! I’ve never heard of Delaunay (and Mrs Delaunay?) - I’ve seen the more well-known circles but didn’t know their work. After browsing some galleries I reckon yours is a theft to be proud of ! :notworthy: :thumbs: And now I know about making black layers for masking, too :notworthy: :notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom