APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #8 Steal the Style

At the Blue Note Lounge.
View attachment 121760
Procreate.

This time entirely artwork.
I’m wondering if it could use a few more curved lines in the empty space joining things together. You know those swirling meandering overlapping shapes all filled in with different colours. All these pieces are still on independent layers.
I just made the eighth note stamp brush for Procreate.

You sure have a knack for this form, Brian! Do you have them for sale with your photographic images in your studio/shop? Or on line?

You sure have a knack for this form, Brian! Do you have them for sale with your photographic images in your studio/shop? Or on line?
Very kind of you to say so. :inlove: I would like to try some pictures like this in my little gallery. So far I feel like I’m just getting familiar with the styles. I still have a hard time letting go of too much realistic detail. Maybe when I have made a lot more of them to figure it out more.

When I look at some pictures painted by artists in the genre it seems to me the simplified shapes are not just naive renderings of objects (like instruments), although some may be, but more like highly stylized caricatures. I’m trying to loosen up my drawing more. I don’t have enough fluidity of movement when I draw so there is a whole lot of back-step and erasing as I work towards a shape. QuickShape certainly helps smooth out some lines. You should have seen how my guitar strings started out before QuickShape straightened them out. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, my drawing hand is not as steady as it was when I was younger.

I bet there is 20 hours in making this last image. But I enjoyed every minute.:D

It is so handy being able to keep each object on a separate layer, as well as the colour for that object on another layer. That makes it possible to easily reposition or resize individual objects as the plan progresses. Also, I can try out different colour arrangements if it don’t like the first one. It makes me admire the talent of artists who boldly apply paint to canvas. There are probably things I shouldn’t do, like mix different styles, even paint types, solid fills, watercolour, airbrushing, all mixed up.:lmao:

Last edited:
Once I had my picture more or less finished I was curious to see what some favourite apps would do with them.
Decim8 produced lots of startling versions but here is one that still looks familiar.
FCF6CF60-2C4D-4E12-9759-75103D82783B.jpeg

Becasso and Painnt made everything look too “flat”. The brush styles don’t honour the shapes or have the proper direction of strokes.

aremaC made lots of interesting versions.
This one looks like street art painted on metal that became rusted after painting.
798507A3-BEFE-40E3-BF4F-12C8ED99BE08.jpeg

Another from aremaC.
950E9018-35BA-469E-858F-2900190E9DB1.jpeg

Compared to drawing and painting the original picture this was much too easy. But fun to know that one picture can have additional lives.

At the Blue Note Lounge.
View attachment 121760
Procreate.

I’m wondering if it could use a few more curved lines in the empty space joining things together. You know those swirling meandering overlapping shapes all filled in with different colours. All these pieces are still on independent layers.
Wow... you drew this?? :notworthy:

Never heard of him/them - thank you for the link. Very clever marketing.
Just the wall concept is nice— small enough to change around whenever you like.

His look like plaster of Paris or similar? What would you do yours on, Ann?
Plaster of Paris. I did a great course by Andy Skinner (http://theoutcasts.andyskinnercrafts.com/index.html), a steal at £30 I think. His TimeWorn techniques is also fantastic although he covers some of the painting techniques in the casting course. He uses clay to get the initial impressions and then to put it simply you create a dam to pour in the plaster of Paris. Quite a cheap method.

You’re right of course, Star - somehow I thought the second week had passed already :confused: o_O :zip:

Thank you for suggesting the two weeks as a permanent thing and thanks rizole JillyG terse RoseCat for your thumbs up so far. I really like the idea for all the reasons already mentioned. Plus of course two weeks would mean more time to harass cajole beleaguer entice invite old and new Mobifolk to join in :D Because that is the kind of caring sharing and aware-ing community we are :mobibabe:

FundyBrian ? ImageArt ? ValeriGail ? deepop ? GroovyGouvy ? Ryn S ? younger? lkbside? TomHH RHKing ? Lzed? Would two weeks make the challenge more available to you? ( RoseCat please fill in some of the names I’ve forgotten :) )

Sorry, full of ideas and no time to do it. :(

You’re right of course, Star - somehow I thought the second week had passed already :confused: o_O :zip:

Thank you for suggesting the two weeks as a permanent thing and thanks rizole JillyG terse RoseCat for your thumbs up so far. I really like the idea for all the reasons already mentioned. Plus of course two weeks would mean more time to harass cajole beleaguer entice invite old and new Mobifolk to join in :D Because that is the kind of caring sharing and aware-ing community we are :mobibabe:

FundyBrian ? ImageArt ? ValeriGail ? deepop ? GroovyGouvy ? Ryn S ? younger? lkbside? TomHH RHKing ? Lzed? Would two weeks make the challenge more available to you? ( RoseCat please fill in some of the names I’ve forgotten :) )
Sounds good to me.

At the Blue Note Lounge.
View attachment 121760
Procreate.

This is great Brian.

Once I had my picture more or less finished I was curious to see what some favourite apps would do with them.
Decim8 produced lots of startling versions but here is one that still looks familiar.
View attachment 121775

Becasso and Painnt made everything look too “flat”. The brush styles don’t honour the shapes or have the proper direction of strokes.

aremaC made lots of interesting versions.
This one looks like street art painted on metal that became rusted after painting.
View attachment 121776

Another from aremaC.
View attachment 121777

Compared to drawing and painting the original picture this was much too easy. But fun to know that one picture can have additional lives.
I think the first two become too fussy but the last one is fab.

Here’s another one to add to art games. Kokopelli. For some reason in my searches today Kokopelli images were showing up one after the other. Looking it up I found it originates with the Anasazi mythology going back to 500AD and also appears in Hopi and Navaho legends and art. It is a very simple form that lends itaslf to a lot of artistic variation. Trickster, musician, magician, bringer of well-being, gifts, good luck, fertility, successful harvest, etc.

Not having any drawing ability I went looking for an abstract artist who was more geometric and found Victor Vasarely, one of the "founders" of op art. Turns out I couldn't do op art but had fun making these things, primarily in iColorama, and a variety of other apps to do some touching up.
IMG_3217.jpg
ACS_0013.jpg

Last edited:
Not having any drawing ability I went looking for an abstract artist who was more geometric and found Victor Vasarely, one of the "founders" of op art. Turns out I couldn't do op art but had fun making these things, primarily in iColorama, and a variety of other apps to do some touching up.
View attachment 121836 View attachment 121837

There's a museum nearby that has a lot of work by Sol Lewitt who does a lot with bright colors and simple shapes.
View attachment 121838

Aren’t these marvellous. The first one looks like one of those images that you squint at and suddenly something reveals itself.

Here’s another one to add to art games. Kokopelli. For some reason in my searches today Kokopelli images were showing up one after the other. Looking it up I found it originates with the Anasazi mythology going back to 500AD and also appears in Hopi and Navaho legends and art. It is a very simple form that lends itaslf to a lot of artistic variation. Trickster, musician, magician, bringer of well-being, gifts, good luck, fertility, successful harvest, etc.

Nice idea! Did you see any kids’ art tutorials on same?

Back
Top Bottom