APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #8 Steal the Style

Just for fun, 2 "abstract impressionist" pieces, no artist I can name.

Two Women on a Bench
fullsizeoutput_6af5.jpeg

Forest Sprites
fullsizeoutput_6b1e.jpeg

No work involved using Microsoft Pix

Not having any drawing ability I went looking for an abstract artist who was more geometric and found Victor Vasarely, one of the "founders" of op art. Turns out I couldn't do op art but had fun making these things, primarily in iColorama, and a variety of other apps to do some touching up.
View attachment 121836 View attachment 121837
Oooooooo..... I love them both!!! :inlove:

Those came out well! It's a very interesting look, although in the second one I worry that the lady with the child is in danger from the shambling thing in the motley coat that seems to be dragging a severed head by the hair. :eek:
You nailed it. That's exactly the look I was going for.I just wanted a bit of camouflage provided by the upbeat colors.:thumbs:

Last edited:
B763D019-78E2-4894-AB36-20BBFFC443F9.jpeg

This was inspired by a picture on a wall in a tv advertisement. I only saw it for a split second. I had to rewind the programme and photograph the screen with my phone. Then off into Procreate and iColorama to try to recreate it.

This is a painting style I think was inspired by a Topaz plug-in. Also is is almost a variation of the meandering line painting style.
EC377FB8-AB35-4CB4-99FE-9ED5EB5C830A.jpeg

I saw a few pictures in a similar style to this while looking through some Pinterest photos and was curious to give it a try. Interestingly, they were not all paintings. This one is all Procreate and involved several hours of joyful work. I learned a lot about watercolour brushes in the process.

Topaz Simplify is a desktop computer image editor that is a favourite of mine for the beautiful simplified renderings it makes of photos. I wish they made an iPad app, too. If you have ever happened to try Topaz Simplify on a picture of a tree and sky, such that the branches formed several closed spaces, you would have discovered a problem that the program could not identify the separate parts of sky as all belonging to the same sky, so they were often rendered as distinctly coloured spaces. It was widely complained about by users who had something different in mind and the company worked hard to find a work-around to give people what they wanted. The work-around was very complicated so I expect most people gave up trying to use it with pictures containing many closed spaces. Some people, however, saw something unique in the rendering and painters took it a step farther. Topaz Simplify can also be used as a Photoshop plug-in.

Drawing a tree is something that forces you to understand how different types of trees grow. But drawing a tree with the intention of creating the flame shaped spaces is a different exercise. It is somewhat like the progression in the fanned tail of a peacock. I studied several different photos of trees while drawing the tree. The only part of the picture that isn’t drawn from scratch is the crow on the branch that I pasted in from one of my photos.

Procreate doesn’t “do” gradients so you have to paint them individually the same way you would paint on canvas. A gradient tool has been widely requested by Procreate users so I won’t be surprised to see it appear in some future update. Some third parties have already been working on gradient brushes but it is more like one colour fading off to transparent.

This is a painting style I think was inspired by a Topaz plug-in. Also is is almost a variation of the meandering line painting style.
View attachment 121931
I saw a few pictures in a similar style to this while looking through some Pinterest photos and was curious to give it a try. Interestingly, they were not all paintings. This one is all Procreate and involved several hours of joyful work. I learned a lot about watercolour brushes in the process.

Topaz Simplify is a desktop computer image editor that is a favourite of mine for the beautiful simplified renderings it makes of photos. I wish they made an iPad app, too. If you have ever happened to try Topaz Simplify on a picture of a tree and sky, such that the branches formed several closed spaces, you would have discovered a problem that the program could not identify the separate parts of sky as all belonging to the same sky, so they were often rendered as distinctly coloured spaces. It was widely complained about by users who had something different in mind and the company worked hard to find a work-around to give people what they wanted. The work-around was very complicated so I expect most people gave up trying to use it with pictures containing many closed spaces. Some people, however, saw something unique in the rendering and painters took it a step farther. Topaz Simplify can also be used as a Photoshop plug-in.

Drawing a tree is something that forces you to understand how different types of trees grow. But drawing a tree with the intention of creating the flame shaped spaces is a different exercise. It is somewhat like the progression in the fanned tail of a peacock. I studied several different photos of trees while drawing the tree. The only part of the picture that isn’t drawn from scratch is the crow on the branch that I pasted in from one of my photos.

Procreate doesn’t “do” gradients so you have to paint them individually the same way you would paint on canvas. A gradient tool has been widely requested by Procreate users so I won’t be surprised to see it appear in some future update. Some third parties have already been working on gradient brushes but it is more like one colour fading off to transparent.
It’s beautiful. I wouldn’t call it abstract because I can still see it’s a tree, but it’s lovely nonetheless.

View attachment 121902

This was inspired by a picture on a wall in a tv advertisement. I only saw it for a split second. I had to rewind the programme and photograph the screen with my phone. Then off into Procreate and iColorama to try to recreate it.

That’s just gorgeous! Did you reproduce the palette, too? I love the tones! I’d have that (and most of your abstracts) on my walls in a heartbeat.

It’s beautiful. I wouldn’t call it abstract because I can still see it’s a tree, but it’s lovely nonetheless.

There’s a FB page that only accepts abstracts which contain no recognisable person or thing. They have some stunning pieces a lá yours above. I like them, but I like better the definition of abstract as not representative but rather suggestive of reality (no idea who said that, probably RoseCat :mobibabe:). And what does Picasso say about ‘first strip away reality..?’

Reminds me: A long-time photographer friend, to whom I excitedly (and foolishly) showed my HM in MPA (a still from a video, apped to my heart’s content) said ‘oh, it’s not a competition for real photographs, then?’ :confused: o_O :feet:

View attachment 121931

So you painted each of those gradients individually? Wow.
It’s a beautiful effect- stained glass in late afternoon sun.

Lacking your patience and capacity for fine work, I would have made a gradient-y background, and painted the tree over the top :oops:

Those came out well! It's a very interesting look, although in the second one I worry that the lady with the child is in danger from the shambling thing in the motley coat that seems to be dragging a severed head by the hair. :eek:

NURSE! Ted hasn’t been taking his meds again!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Now you two, you know it’s not nice to laugh at Ted’s . . . little . . . . differences. :mobibabe:

Art games/art therapy

454C9E57-E767-4101-A83B-644F0CF7DDC1.jpeg

A transformation of an image representing a particular distress. The distress image is overplayed with a series of symbols or words or shapes that have positive personal meaning to the artist. Bottom right is her primary image overplayed already for privacy reasons. Three symbols meaningful to the artist, and then the results of some blending and erasing . The final image is filtered in Shift and a bird added from a previous, happy and uplifting image.

Attachments

• 270E2D66-758E-455F-8406-A52CBD61F166.jpeg
    270E2D66-758E-455F-8406-A52CBD61F166.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 9
That’s just gorgeous! Did you reproduce the palette, too? I love the tones! I’d have that (and most of your abstracts) on my walls in a heartbeat.

There’s a FB page that only accepts abstracts which contain no recognisable person or thing. They have some stunning pieces a lá yours above. I like them, but I like better the definition of abstract as not representative but rather suggestive of reality (no idea who said that, probably RoseCat :mobibabe:). And what does Picasso say about ‘first strip away reality..?’

Reminds me: A long-time photographer friend, to whom I excitedly (and foolishly) showed my HM in MPA (a still from a video, apped to my heart’s content) said ‘oh, it’s not a competition for real photographs, then?’ :confused: o_O :feet:
It’s as close as I could get to the actual, but the actual picture on the tv was at an angle. Oh wait, I’ll show you.
987A565E-2E1D-4FF2-8285-58F438903F9C.jpeg

So you painted each of those gradients individually? Wow.
It’s a beautiful effect- stained glass in late afternoon sun.

Lacking your patience and capacity for fine work, I would have made a gradient-y background, and painted the tree over the top :oops:
Well, I did that, too, and it was OK. More like a regular painting. It just wasn’t the particular track I was following. This is a bit like a negative space painting. There’s more abstraction in seeing the spaces rather than the tree. I’m not sure I would do this again but I enjoyed doing it once.

There are just 9 layers to this painting. The tree is on a layer of its own and the different foreground, middle ground areas, and 2 backgrounds are separate also. Layers in Procreate have no fill unless you add one. The layers are transparent so only what you paint there shows up. That means there is no need for blending modes to remove the unwanted backgrounds. So it has lots of potential for further exploration. I kept seeing other approaches as I worked on this one. This is the first one completed. One thing I’m going to do is go back to Topaz Simplify and see what happens if I follow this path with a photo.

Here it is just turning off the tree layer.
C2EF8791-FC73-4EB2-97E0-E7CFE87102C3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom