1. Interpret the theme
2. Using apps
3. Tell us something about your interpretation

One week: Friday to Friday
Winner: judges next round and chooses theme (or no theme) for that round

Please see: Rules & Guidelines for MobiChallenges HERE

This week:
Judge: Starzee Star

Theme: “Steal this style”. Pick an abstract work and emulate it. I don’t mean an exact replica, just in the style. Two weeks for this challenge :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I started out with the idea of the Picasso-esque cubist faces, but then decided to use our actual faces, and then after trying some vector conversions ended up mostly drawing the faces outlines, and then since MobiTog is a photography site I decided to use actual photos for the areas. It took a while.
C9372D5D-382F-4519-993B-8473739E5AAB.jpeg

Procreate.

Can I get some info/advice about drawing/painting apps? It’s too hard to learn everything about every app I have, let alone remember what apps I have.

If I already have Procreate, do SketchClub, ArtRage, and InspirePro (etc.) give me anything that Procreate doesn’t have?

Likewise, if I already have Affinity Designer, do Graphic, ArtStudio Pro, GraphPad, Sketches Pro, give me anything I don’t have in Designer?
OK an exception is Skribl - it has some interesting line forms I haven’t seen anywhere else.

Well... I started out with the idea of the Picasso-esque cubist faces, but then decided to use our actual faces, and then after trying some vector conversions ended up mostly drawing the faces outlines, and then since MobiTog is a photography site I decided to use actual photos for the areas. It took a while.
View attachment 121461
Procreate.
Just WOW!

Can I get some info/advice about drawing/painting apps? It’s too hard to learn everything about every app I have, let alone remember what apps I have.

If I already have Procreate, do SketchClub, ArtRage, and InspirePro (etc.) give me anything that Procreate doesn’t have?

Likewise, if I already have Affinity Designer, do Graphic, ArtStudio Pro, GraphPad, Sketches Pro, give me anything I don’t have in Designer?
OK an exception is Skribl - it has some interesting line forms I haven’t seen anywhere else.
What do you want, you have all or even more you need. :)

What do you want, you have all or even more you need. :)
I want to delete some extra apps, but not if they provide unique functions. I think I would be better to learn a few apps really well rather than dabbling with several.

My iPhone has 585 apps - I cut down a few, and my iPad has 333. They tend to have different apps, except for the must-have apps.

For instance, I’ve been using Procreate a lot lately and haven’t opened SketchClub or ArtRage or Inspire Pro in quite a while.

I want to delete some extra apps, but not if they provide unique functions. I think I would be better to learn a few apps really well rather than dabbling with several.

My iPhone has 585 apps - I cut down a few, and my iPad has 333. They tend to have different apps, except for the must-have apps.

For instance, I’ve been using Procreate a lot lately and haven’t opened SketchClub or ArtRage or Inspire Pro in quite a while.

I know. My phone is still overloaded and for many apps I forgot what the special features were if they had any. :D

That’s fabulous, Brian - and I can just imagine the time it took. Great result though ?!? :thumbs:

I’m not well-informed with art apps — I’ve yet to learn Procreate and icolorama, for instance. With that limited experience, I would unwilling to ditch ArtRage with its very true-to-life oil paint and palette fxs. I used to love the app with all the Sketchy brushes (GroovyGouvy do you recall its name?) and very sad when it didn’t survive one of the first big iOS updates.

SketchClub may not be as sophisticated as say Procreate, but it has so many features and is so easy to use that I’ll never get rid of it :D

I also love Tayasui Sketches Pro - high quality & some unique brushes

Last edited:
Starzee - I think you once mentioned you wished Procreate had a colour fill tool (paint bucket tool) so colouring in a bordered area wasn’t so tedious.
Well, try this. In order to use the fill tool in a vector program you need an area enclosed by lines. In Procreate, if you have a clearly outlined area that’s fine. (But if you don’t you can also draw a selection area) Imagine you have a simple cartoon sketch with solid outlines. We will be selecting each space and filling it with colour. I prefer to paint into another layer below the lines layer as it makes painting easier than painting just up to the lines. But you could paint directly onto your Sketch layer if you like. When you paint under the lines you have more lea way when painting. Here we won’t have to worry about the lines at all.

I add a new layer to paint on and drag it below the sketch layer. Activate the sketch layer and then tap the Selection tool (shaped like a ribbon “S”). When you activate the selection tool a new tool bar appears at the bottom. Just make sure “Automatic” is highlighted. Tap twice within a section you want to paint in. (Why you have to tap twice I don’t know. Maybe it activates the layer before making the selection?) Anyhow, That selected area will turn blue. If you want to add another area to the same selection tap once in that area, too.

Now activate your new layer below the Sketch layer. You will see that everything except the area you selected is covered by stripes indicating you can’t paint there. Pick any brush you like, it can be even bigger than the entire space you want to fill, pick your colour, and Paint with abandon without worrying about the lines at all. The area will be filled and nothing else will receive any paint. That’s as close as you can get to a fill tool.

Sometimes you may want to paint with a brush bigger than the size of your selected area in order to adjust the size of a pattern in the brush, or stamp.

One thing different, though, is that the colour you fill with doesn’t have to be flat, that is, not all one solid colour. Your brush could be partially transparent and you can build up density in certain areas to create 3D contour or shading. You can even pick another colour or shade and paint just part of the selected area. You never paint beyond the lines.

It’s easier to do than it is to explain and I think you will see it offers much greater potential than a fill tool.

Last edited:
View attachment 121461
Procreate.
Another fab abstract from you Brian. It’s like a stained glass window.

Starzee - I think you once mentioned you wished Procreate had a colour fill tool (paint bucket tool) so colouring in a bordered area wasn’t so tedious.
Well, try this. In order to use the fill tool in a vector program you need an area enclosed by lines. In Procreate, if you have a clearly outlined area that’s fine. (But if you don’t you can also draw a selection area) Imagine you have a simple cartoon sketch with solid outlines. We will be selecting each space and filling it with colour. I prefer to paint into another layer below the lines layer as it makes painting easier than painting just up to the lines. But you could paint directly onto your Sketch layer if you like. When you paint under the lines you have more lea way when painting. Here we won’t have to worry about the lines at all.

I add a new layer to paint on and drag it below the sketch layer. Activate the sketch layer and then tap the Selection tool (shaped like a ribbon “S”). When you activate the selection tool a new tool bar appears at the bottom. Just make sure “Automatic” is highlighted. Tap twice within a section you want to paint in. (Why you have to tap twice I don’t know. Maybe it activates the layer before making the selection?) Anyhow, That selected area will turn blue. If you want to add another area to the same selection tap once in that area, too.

Now activate your new layer below the Sketch layer. You will see that everything except the area you selected is covered by stripes indicating you can’t paint there. Pick any brush you like, it can be even bigger than the entire space you want to fill, pick your colour, and Paint with abandon without worrying about the lines at all. The area will be filled and nothing else will receive any paint. That’s as close as you can get to a fill tool.

Sometimes you may want to paint with a brush bigger than the size of your selected area in order to adjust the size of a pattern in the brush, or stamp.

One thing different, though, is that the colour you fill with doesn’t have to be flat, that is, not all one solid colour. Your brush could be partially transparent and you can build up density in certain areas to create 3D contour or shading. You can even pick another colour or shade and paint just part of the selected area. You never paint beyond the lines.

It’s easier to do than it is to explain and I think you will see it offers much greater potential than a fill tool.
Thank you! I knew I saw a tute where they filled in, but couldn’t recreate it!

That’s fabulous, Brian - and I can just imagine the time it took. Great result though ?!? :thumbs:

I’m not well-informed with art apps — I’ve yet to learn Procreate and icolorama, for instance. With that limited experience, I would unwilling to ditch ArtRage with its very true-to-life oil paint and palette fxs. I used to love the app with all the Sketchy brushes (GroovyGouvy do you recall its name?) and very sad when it didn’t survive one of the first big iOS updates.

SketchClub may not be as sophisticated as say Procreate, but it has so many features and is so easy to use that I’ll never get rid of it :D

Tayasui Sketches Pro? Sigh.....off to the App Store.

Ah, yes, I had Tayasui, too.

I guess I’ll have to go back to the other apps and see if they have different features I don’t want to be without. I can’t remember them doing anything I don’t have in Procreate.

There is an excellent Procreate e-book available free on iBooks.

Seeking feedback:

I’m having a go at a Mondrian tree. Not quite as easy as I might have first thought (sorry, Piet :confused: :oops: o_O) So, um, I’m fairly sure it won’t be finished by Friday.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Ie, would have a go but one week isn’t long enough? Would these types of themes (ie that need some research, some learning and some practice) be more fun/interesting/possible over two weeks?

Thoughts?

Seeking feedback:

I’m having a go at a Mondrian tree. Not quite as easy as I might have first thought (sorry, Piet :confused: :oops: o_O) So, um, I’m fairly sure it won’t be finished by Friday.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Ie, would have a go but one week isn’t long enough? Would these types of themes (ie that need some research, some learning and some practice) be more fun/interesting/possible over two weeks?

Thoughts?
It’s like you read my mind!!! I would LOVE an extra week please.:D

Seeking feedback:

Thoughts?

I’m in no hurry.

Seeking feedback:

Thoughts?

I’m in no hurry.

If the judge is happy then let’s do it (before she changes her mind :)) :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom