APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #8 Steal the Style

I have the Procreate ebook but it’s a Big Read. I make sure to get the updated version whenever one comes out. Big changes have been happening. The main thing is to check out the “what’s new in this version” info.

By the way, have you checked out the painting potential in Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer? Makes me wonder if Procreate could be surpassed.
I have both, but haven’t put enough work into them to master them. I keep going back to Procreate or SuperimposeX for layers. Recently I bought Artstudio Pro, which I find more Photoshop like in layout. I do like it, but the Affinity apps probably have more potential.

Kandinsky

B466540C-E7C8-40BA-9014-93AC3770D21F.jpeg

Procreate

:) Do you have a sense of why/how that happens for you? Do you have a problem in mind, and solutions pop up? Are you just art-ing, and notice insights arising? Something else?

On more structured therapeutic interventions, over my *cough* *mumble* 40 + years. [excuse me a moment while I go breathe into a paper bag] in mental/health, I’ve become increasingly certain that ‘less is more’.
Well Doc, :blush: I’ve always felt that I wasn’t really in touch with my feelings. So, some of my insights reveal problems rather than solutions. For example if I’m feeling “off” and maybe start playing around with apps and layering images, changing them around what I call”following the path” and something hits me that I really like or don’t, I get a flash of insight sort of at the same time. “Wow, I’m really upset by what happened today.” I didn’t realize what was eating at me. It’s the playing that loosens up my thoughts, rather than mysterious revelations in the art itself. That’s my therapy.

It is surprising how being immersed in the photographic life shelters us or doesn’t expose us to the greater goings on in the art world. The photographic arts have different requirements but could really benefit from more crossover.

I’ve just been reading The Betty Edwards (author of The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain) book about colour. This book describes what art students go through before they are allowed to paint. Actually, I think the book is exactly the course itself. Drawing first, how to mix and make colours next, once that is sorted out they begin teaching how to paint. It’s turns out that without this middle step art students often flounder. The book is all about mixing actual paints. You have to buy the required paints, brushes, etc and proceed to make your own colour wheel from scratch. learn about the colour relationships and placements on the wheel. Then all the colour lingo. Then, all about complementary colour relationships, dissonance, etc. I can’t see any way to do this digitally. It has to be done by mixing actual pigments. It worry’s me what might happen if I actually buy some physical paint and brushes.

There’s a picture in the book of an early Mondrian painting in the faintest of greys and barely-there colours. The familiar form is there but it looks like a picture left out in the sun too long - compared to the colourful works he is better known for.
I keep trying to make physical art tutorials work on Procreate but as you say, some things just can’t be done. And some apps do sometimes better than others.

Last edited:
Well Doc, :blush: I’ve always felt that I wasn’t really in touch with my feelings. So, some of my insights reveal problems rather than solutions. For example if I’m feeling “off” and maybe start playing around with apps and layering images, changing them around what I call”following the path” and something hits me that I really like or don’t, I get a flash of insight sort of at the same time. “Wow, I’m really upset by what happened today.” I didn’t realize what was eating at me. It’s the playing that loosens up my thoughts, rather than mysterious revelations in the art itself. That’s my therapy.

Brilliant. I think you should pay yourself $300 and call yourself in the morning :mobibabe:

I keep trying to make physical art tutorials work on Procreate but as you say, some things just can’t be done. And some apps do sometimes better than others.
I like that Procreate is so responsive to features that users have been asking for. It’s growing all the time.

I once had an app that allowed you to mix paint colours on a palette, just like mixing real paint. It’s purpose was to practice mixing paint, though, not to paint anything.
I used to use Corel Painter a lot, on my desktop computer. It was certainly more capable in some ways. One thing I remember was a watercolour brush where you could actually see the paint flow affected by gravity and some of the paint would settle to the bottom of the stroke, just like in real life with a vertical canvas on an easel. Painting on iPad right on the screen is much more intuitive that painting with a drawing tablet and stylus. The hand/eye coordination thing was quite separated.

Soooo... Is this thread closed now? o_O

Now you mention it, yes :) it all got a bit conversational there, didn’t it ? :mobibabe:

*ahem*

I now declare this thread closed !

God bless her and all who sailed in her.

Starzee, I should feel sorry for you, lament the hard job ahead of you . . .
But we’ve seen it all before: the tears, the tantrums, the bottle of gin in the linen cupboard —
and you always do a brilliant job.

So.... get on with it, then! :D :thumbs: :lmao: :inlove: :mobibabe:

I have both, but haven’t put enough work into them to master them. I keep going back to Procreate or SuperimposeX for layers. Recently I bought Artstudio Pro, which I find more Photoshop like in layout. I do like it, but the Affinity apps probably have more potential.
Hmmm. I looks like I had Art Studio and ArtStudio Pro at some point. Down with Photoshop is what I say. Affinity Photo still has a ways to go but PS has had many years to get where it is. Illustrator always felt clunky after using Macromedia Freehand (which Adobe bought out and terminated). Big mistake. They should have abandoned Illustrator and kept Freehand. Now Affinity Designer feels better than Illustrator, on both desktop and iPad. I just got Affinity Publisher beta, which I guess is an InDesign replacement. Yay Affinity!

I am currently very busy doing a work project in Designer - a tourist guide map of Alma.

Now you mention it, yes :) it all got a bit conversational there, didn’t it ? :mobibabe:

*ahem*

I now declare this thread closed !

God bless her and all who sailed in her.

Starzee, I should feel sorry for you, lament the hard job ahead of you . . .
But we’ve seen it all before: the tears, the tantrums, the bottle of gin in the linen cupboard —
and you always do a brilliant job.

So.... get on with it, then! :D :thumbs: :lmao: :inlove: :mobibabe:

Well I.....WAIT! Who told you about the gin???????

.What a talented bunch of artists gather here!

I’ve spent the last fortnight (I had to Google that to be sure it meant 2 weeks) alternating between studying replications of artists’ styles and studying artists I’ve never heard of. It was educational and enlightening. You’ve all done a wonderful job. A difficult decision, indeed. Every time I look through the assortment I pick a different winner. Sigh.

I’m going to go with @JillyG’s TV Picture on the Wall. It’s simple, elegant and I love the colors. Everyone else ties for second. It was a fabulous 2 weeks!

25177C7B-5BD0-49B9-8677-174F81D3CCE5.png

I’ve spent the last fortnight (I had to Google that to be sure it meant 2 weeks) alternating between studying replications of artists’ styles and studying artists I’ve never heard of. It was educational and enlightening. You’ve all done a wonderful job. A difficult decision, indeed. Every time I look through the assortment I pick a different winner. Sigh.

I’m going to go with @JillyG’s TV Picture on the Wall. It’s simple, elegant and I love the colors. Everyone else ties for second. It was a fabulous 2 weeks!

View attachment 122087
Well, thank you very much Star. That was unexpected, but I’m thrilled nonetheless. There were sooooo many great abstracts in this challenge. I suppose it falls to me to try to steer the group in some sort of direction. I’ve never been great at that. :confused: I think I’d like you all to just make images that say “abstract” to you. It doesn’t matter how so-called experts define an abstract, it’s how you want to portray it that matters for the next two weeks.:thumbs: Go wild, or not - it’s your choice.:lol:

Hmmm. I looks like I had Art Studio and ArtStudio Pro at some point. Down with Photoshop is what I say. Affinity Photo still has a ways to go but PS has had many years to get where it is. Illustrator always felt clunky after using Macromedia Freehand (which Adobe bought out and terminated). Big mistake. They should have abandoned Illustrator and kept Freehand. Now Affinity Designer feels better than Illustrator, on both desktop and iPad. I just got Affinity Publisher beta, which I guess is an InDesign replacement. Yay Affinity!

I am currently very busy doing a work project in Designer - a tourist guide map of Alma.
Well, you can scrub Alma market off the map for the moment Brian.:( That should make the map a bit simpler.

Thank you Star, you always come through :inlove:

Congrats Jilly - a simply gorgeous piece :notworthy: :inlove: :thumbs: - and thanks for another potentially educational theme.

Wait, did you say no in depth pontification about what is and isn’t abstract? ! ? ! ? :eek: However will we manage two weeks ?!? :confused: :mobibabe:

Thank you Star, you always come through :inlove:

Congrats Jilly - a simply gorgeous piece :notworthy: :inlove: :thumbs: - and thanks for another potentially educational theme.

Wait, did you say no in depth pontification about what is and isn’t abstract? ! ? ! ? :eek: However will we manage two weeks ?!? :confused: :mobibabe:
I don’t know.o_O But we’ll have to try.:rolleyes:

View attachment 122087
Well done, Jilly!

Back
Top Bottom