APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #8 Steal the Style

Well, thank you very much Star. That was unexpected, but I’m thrilled nonetheless. There were sooooo many great abstracts in this challenge. I suppose it falls to me to try to steer the group in some sort of direction. I’ve never been great at that. :confused: I think I’d like you all to just make images that say “abstract” to you. It doesn’t matter how so-called experts define an abstract, it’s how you want to portray it that matters for the next two weeks.:thumbs: Go wild, or not - it’s your choice.:lol:
Well done, Jilly. A clever piece!

This would make an interesting discussion. I think of art or photography as mediums of communication & expression. Presumably the artist does have something they want to say and you can tell how successful they have been in that expression if the viewer can read it. It is more difficult if the artist is just making something because they think it looks nice and has no emotion behind the expression. Likewise, an expression that is so concealed or private that no one else can make sense of it isn’t really a communication at all.
On the other hand, if the viewer can’t *read* what message the artist intended it doesn’t mean the artist wasn’t successful. I think all art is very subjective, so the viewer could find a very intense meaning in the art that has nothing to do with the original intent. Everyone sees/interprets things in their own ways. Sometimes it can be nice to know the “whys” or “hows” of a piece of art, but even in that knowledge each person will take away something personal to themselves.

.What a talented bunch of artists gather here!

I’ve spent the last fortnight (I had to Google that to be sure it meant 2 weeks) alternating between studying replications of artists’ styles and studying artists I’ve never heard of. It was educational and enlightening. You’ve all done a wonderful job. A difficult decision, indeed. Every time I look through the assortment I pick a different winner. Sigh.

I’m going to go with @JillyG’s TV Picture on the Wall. It’s simple, elegant and I love the colors. Everyone else ties for second. It was a fabulous 2 weeks!

View attachment 122087
Oh yes, I love this one too!! Congrats JillyG !! Well done!!! :D

Well, thank you very much Star. That was unexpected, but I’m thrilled nonetheless. There were sooooo many great abstracts in this challenge. I suppose it falls to me to try to steer the group in some sort of direction. I’ve never been great at that. :confused: I think I’d like you all to just make images that say “abstract” to you. It doesn’t matter how so-called experts define an abstract, it’s how you want to portray it that matters for the next two weeks.:thumbs: Go wild, or not - it’s your choice.:lol:

Congrats, Jilly - a beautiful piece indeed. And I reckon extra points for your now-legendary eye, catching a glimpse and going back to the original image :notworthy: :thumbs: :)

Congrats, Jilly - a beautiful piece indeed. And I reckon extra points for your now-legendary eye, catching a glimpse and going back to the original image :notworthy: :thumbs: :)
Thank you my dear. It’s amazing where inspiration comes from isn’t it?:lol:

Ahhhh.... therein lies a clue. Perhaps some things aren’t made to “make sense”? :sneaky:
I find, generally speaking, that well known abstract art has something that holds it together. It isn’t just a random jumble. There’s care in the selection of colour. Even the seemingly random abstract elements have some compositional sense about them. I guess that’s the difference between abstracts that are created with intention compared to those that happen by chance.

Back
Top Bottom