What are you watching?

I'm 4 episodes in and you are right, its the most extreme series yet, gory as hell but laugh out loud in places!
Tonights episode was regarded as being 'unfilmable' - the comic special 'Herogasm' basically centres around a super-orgy with distrous consequences. Be interesting to see how far they go this time.

I finished the Peter Capaldi episodes of Doctor Who. Now on to the Jodie Whittaker episodes. I'm loving her native Yorkshire accent.
p15914789_b_v13_aa.jpg

Am I the only person here I wonder that actually doesn’t like Dr Who? :whistle:

rewatched the shinning last night and following on with the sequel Doctor Sleep tonight.

Am I the only person here I wonder that actually doesn’t like Dr Who? :whistle:

rewatched the shinning last night and following on with the sequel Doctor Sleep tonight.
I loved Dr Who until Peter Davidson came in. Then picked it up briefly with David Tennant, but lately its just become farcical. Just way too P.C and woke for my liking.

I loved Dr Who until Peter Davidson came in. Then picked it up briefly with David Tennant, but lately its just become farcical. Just way too P.C and woke for my liking.
maybe it’s something to do with not liking all the superhero style stuff as well, not the out and out type anyway. The only exception I ever made was deadpool.
funny you mention P.C, I was thinking only this morning how comedy has died cos every time someone makes a joke, it’s suddenly a slur on someone.

maybe it’s something to do with not liking all the superhero style stuff as well, not the out and out type anyway. The only exception I ever made was deadpool.
funny you mention P.C, I was thinking only this morning how comedy has died cos every time someone makes a joke, it’s suddenly a slur on someone.
if you look at classic 70's sitcoms like Love Thy Neighbour, On the Buses and most of the Carry On franchise, it was no holds barred and everyone found it funny. Now its like living in an alternate universe for real. The likes of Deadpool and The Boys do go out of their way to push back, which is a welcome relief.

It’s fine if you don’t like Doctor Who. We all have different tastes. But the show’s “PC and woke” attitude is one of the many things I like about it. [Long response to “you can’t even make jokes any more” redacted for the sake of not derailing this thread.]

First episode has to be seen to be believed!
I certainly didn't see that coming in the first 12 mins of the first episode. :eek: :lmao:
the Jodie Whittaker episodes.
For my money the writing and story lines deteriorated quite dramatically for the Jodie era. Certainly the audience ratings and reviews crashed through the floor on rotten tomatoes.com.
comedy has died cos every time someone makes a joke, it’s suddenly a slur on someone.
I think political correctness has generally been a good thing myself for all sorts of reasons but I don't think the current far left identity politics nut job cancel culture ideology has anything to do with political correctness myself. "Woke" ain't pc.

Funny how woke started out as a description of someone who is enlightened and progressive yet has ended up as a derogatory term.

Has the thread derailed yet? If i change the subject quickly maybe no one will notice. :sneaky:

Just rewatched stranger things season 3 in anticipation of binging season 4. Still good. I'm very excited. :smilecat:

I certainly didn't see that coming in the first 12 mins of the first episode. :eek: :lmao:

For my money the writing and story lines deteriorated quite dramatically for the Jodie era. Certainly the audience ratings and reviews crashed through the floor on rotten tomatoes.com.

I think political correctness has generally been a good thing myself for all sorts of reasons but I don't think the current far left identity politics nut job cancel culture ideology has anything to do with political correctness myself. "Woke" ain't pc.

Funny how woke started out as a description of someone who is enlightened and progressive yet has ended up as a derogatory term.

Has the thread derailed yet? If i change the subject quickly maybe no one will notice. :sneaky:

Just rewatched stranger things season 3 in anticipation of binging season 4. Still good. I'm very excited. :smilecat:
I touched on pc, not woke and won’t go into politics. I just find it sad that comedians now find employment in the uk doing quizz shows cos they say comedy has largely died.
can I be done for treason for starting the guy Fawkes party? The last honest man to enter parliment ( as said by Ricky gervais). Which brings me to that show, both sad and funny…. Afterlife!! I really enjoyed that show.

I touched on pc, not woke and won’t go into politics. I just find it sad that comedians now find employment in the uk doing quizz shows cos they say comedy has largely died.
can I be done for treason for starting the guy Fawkes party? The last honest man to enter parliment ( as said by Ricky gervais). Which brings me to that show, both sad and funny…. Afterlife!! I really enjoyed that show.
What was his special called? Supernature ? Something like that ? That was my first look at Gervais (nearly dropped dead when I heard his Brit accent). Hats off to him for taking on the entire PC movement bythelooks. His attention to detail was breathtaking. Anyone who didn’t take offence to some part of it must be deaf :lmao:

What was his special called? Supernature ? Something like that ? That was my first look at Gervais (nearly dropped dead when I heard his Brit accent). Hats off to him for taking on the entire PC movement bythelooks. His attention to detail was breathtaking. Anyone who didn’t take offence to some part of it must be deaf :lmao:
I’m still to watch that. I seen him in Regent’s Park and said hello to his dog. He was dead pleased I took more interest in the dog than him.

I loved the original Big Hero 6 movie, so I decided to give this a watch. Just six episodes of 10 to 11 minutes each, so it doesn't take much time to watch. What a charming show and Baymax is adorable.
baymax.jpg

A couple of special ops thrillers and a scifi staple have really worked for me recently.

The Terminal List is ostensibly about a Navy Seal protecting those he loves. Good set pieces, nice plotting and twists to keep you guessing. But it's also a story of a man on the edge of unsurmountable odds and no where to go. As a story trope, it's the kind of theme that got me into scifi as a younger man. I'm thinking the Gap series by Stephen R donaldson, Ellen Ripley, Tiger Tiger by Bester. The hero taken to the extreme of thier psychological, emotional and existential limits and what follows from that. Bloody good stuff if that floats your boat.

The Old Man falls into a similar genre. An ex CIA operative, hiding out for decades, gets pulled back into the game against his will. Another well written one, good plotting, thrills, action, twists, double bluffs and crosses. The characters are believable and the motivations human. There's a bit more of the old school cold war feel to this one and with Jeff Bridges playing the lead, what's not to like?

Prey is the lastest Preditor sequal. It's actually a prequal set in Comanche America 300 years ago. If you've seen preditor then you know what's coming, there's no real surprises here but, again as with the two above, they've gone for a good story well told with believable characters some cool action and kickassery. Unlike most of the preditor sequals which relied on gimicks, effects, twists on a theme other lame ways to rehash the same thing and pass it off as innovation.
Amber Midthunder takes centre on this one.

A couple of special ops thrillers and a scifi staple have really worked for me recently.

The Terminal List is ostensibly about a Navy Seal protecting those he loves. Good set pieces, nice plotting and twists to keep you guessing. But it's also a story of a man on the edge of unsurmountable odds and no where to go. As a story trope, it's the kind of theme that got me into scifi as a younger man. I'm thinking the Gap series by Stephen R donaldson, Ellen Ripley, Tiger Tiger by Bester. The hero taken to the extreme of thier psychological, emotional and existential limits and what follows from that. Bloody good stuff if that floats your boat.

The Old Man falls into a similar genre. An ex CIA operative, hiding out for decades, gets pulled back into the game against his will. Another well written one, good plotting, thrills, action, twists, double bluffs and crosses. The characters are believable and the motivations human. There's a bit more of the old school cold war feel to this one and with Jeff Bridges playing the lead, what's not to like?

Prey is the lastest Preditor sequal. It's actually a prequal set in Comanche America 300 years ago. If you've seen preditor then you know what's coming, there's no real surprises here but, again as with the two above, they've gone for a good story well told with believable characters some cool action and kickassery. Unlike most of the preditor sequals which relied on gimicks, effects, twists on a theme other lame ways to rehash the same thing and pass it off as innovation.
Amber Midthunder takes centre on this one.
Watched Prey last night, one of the better Predator outings, with a new species of creature too. Amber Midthunder is good, being first nations herself, but the rest of the comanche tribe look like extras from a saturday afternoon cowboy. Can't beat the first Arnie film for me though!

Netflix Sandman series is worth watching, Neil Gaiman's much vaunted comic finally makes the screen, with some natural changes to the plot and characterisations, but still very good. Last few episodes before the finale are a bit drawn out and cheesy, but looking forward to another season.

Westworld is fast approaching the season 4 finale, with a wonderfully dystopian plot, so far removed now from Michael Crichton's original movie with Yul Brynner. There are shades of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell (manga) and other tropes, but its visually and stylistically rich and deeply entertaining. I hope they might be able to reach another season, but the four series so far are a brilliantly convoluted science fiction tale, very much recommended.

Watched Prey last night, one of the better Predator outings, with a new species of creature too. Amber Midthunder is good, being first nations herself, but the rest of the comanche tribe look like extras from a saturday afternoon cowboy. Can't beat the first Arnie film for me though!

Netflix Sandman series is worth watching, Neil Gaiman's much vaunted comic finally makes the screen, with some natural changes to the plot and characterisations, but still very good. Last few episodes before the finale are a bit drawn out and cheesy, but looking forward to another season.

Westworld is fast approaching the season 4 finale, with a wonderfully dystopian plot, so far removed now from Michael Crichton's original movie with Yul Brynner. There are shades of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell (manga) and other tropes, but its visually and stylistically rich and deeply entertaining. I hope they might be able to reach another season, but the four series so far are a brilliantly convoluted science fiction tale, very much recommended.
The Sandman is superb, best thing (maybe) I've watched this year.

Back
Top Bottom