what exactly is monotone for hipstamatic

Soulfried

Ex-peacewogs...
Real Name
sylvia
Onsite
Project Page
i just feel i am missing the real definition .. or maybe just not digesting it!

the instructions of this challenge were something like: monotone but no black and white.

the more i read the confuseder i get ! lol

thanks guys!

Hey Sylvia, not quite sure what you are asking, or why, but for the purposes of a monotone challenge we would expect the entries to comprise a monotone colour scheme - that is to say: one single hue (or base colour) with any of its variations of tints, shades and saturation... :rog:

So what you end up with, effectively, is a single colour with a range of shades and tints throughout of the same basic colour, if that makes sense?... :zip:

If the guidance is to avoid black and white then that is, quite clearly to me, suggesting your choice of monotone entry should not include any black or white... :barf:

Hope that helps, but please do carry on the query if this is insufficient or I have misread your point?... :D

nope that makes sense... i think the subject matter is what i was missing in the description. it is a challenge on IG and the rules stated monotone only but no black and white. and the lens they chose ( libatique ) i could understand but color film is what i wasnt getting. makes sense the subject you are shooting isnt wildly colored !

thanks rog !!

nope that makes sense... i think the subject matter is what i was missing in the description. it is a challenge on IG and the rules stated monotone only but no black and white. and the lens they chose ( libatique ) i could understand but color film is what i wasnt getting. makes sense the subject you are shooting isnt wildly colored !

thanks rog !!
Sounds like you are talking about @hipstatones. The four moderators are very good about answering questions if you have them. In fact on the profile info it defines what is monochrome and says to tag a shot and ask their guidance if in doubt. You can always ask me too.

lol ... thanks beth .. ok asking .. if the pic i posted fits :

here it is :
isnaphipsta-496323548872883212_379813758.jpg

i question whether its too much red ... ?
and yes hipstatones

the pic is libatique 73 and ctypeplate

here it is :
View attachment 39895

and yes hipstatones

I'm not certain. This is a tough one with the black shoe, the yellow hue of libatique and the red. I'm pretty sure the red makes this duo and not mono. @sbjpro (Stephanie) can let you know for certain. Or you can just ride it out. It's an awesome photo, I love it!

here it is :
View attachment 39895

and yes hipstatones

I tend to agree with the HipstaBabe on this one, if the roolz say no black and white then this one would clearly fall foul as there is definitely black in the shoe and, arguably, some white in the burned out high lights... :rog:

Otherwise it would be a great monotonal iMage Sylvia... ;)

And, it is a cracking iMage in its own right anyway, very nicely done... :D

thank you catherine, beth and rog !

it is one of two shots she is deciding on for the cover of her first CD: The CC Show Songs featuring Roddy Barnes ( hella pianist, song and skit writer) ...

agree with the red/duo and black shoe.. i hadnt even thought of the shoe being a deal breaker ! lol

thanks for the help !

thank you catherine, beth and rog !

it is one of two shots she is deciding on for the cover of her first CD: The CC Show Songs featuring Roddy Barnes ( hella pianist, song and skit writer) ...

agree with the red/duo and black shoe.. i hadnt even thought of the shoe being a deal breaker ! lol

thanks for the help !
Good luck on the cover selection! It totally would work in that media and genre! Let us know how it turns out (if you want). :)

I think the black could be perceived as a really dark brown, but the red moves it out of "hipstatones" mono definition.

Great shot though! And good luck with the cover selection! A lot more glory in that than the IG challenge for sure!

Back
Top Bottom