• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

When in Brazil...

younger

MobiLurver
Real Name
Juliana
Device
iPhone Xs
Hello everyone

A space to share my shots of everyday life in Brazil with you. I’m originally from Rio, from a suburb called Tijuca. It’s a very traditional area, where most people used to be in the middle class (although now we are all surrounded by favelas, and because Tijuca has a lot of hills, there’s a favela to each street almost), with very good schools and entertainment. 20 minute car drive to the beach in the south zone (without traffic, ha), like Copacabana and Ipanema, and Tijuca lado has its own forest - floresta da Tijuca. Hopefully I’ll be able to take a lot of photos to post here!

Thanks JillyG for helping me out with the creation of this thread. See y’all soon!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Hello everyone

A space to share my shots of everyday life in Brazil with you. I’m originally from Rio, from a suburb called Tijuca. It’s a very traditional area, where most people used to be in the middle class (although now we are all surrounded by favelas, and because Tijuca has a lot of hills, there’s a favela to each street almost), with very good schools and entertainment. 20 minute car drive to the beach in the south zone (without traffic, ha), like Copacabana and Ipanema, and Tijuca lado has its own forest - floresta da Tijuca. Hopefully I’ll be able to take a lot of photos to post here!

Thanks JillyG for helping me out with the creation of this thread. See y’all soon!
Excited to see all your images!! :D I have friends who LOOOOOVE Rio and go once or twice a year, but they aren’t “photo makers”. :rolleyes:

younger

MobiLurver
Real Name
Juliana
Device
iPhone Xs
These are two saints who died as kids, and they are the protectors of children. Their day is on the 27th of September, and people make some bags full of candies to give to kids that knock on the door. Not like Halloween, when people dress up, they just annoyingly knock on your door asking for candy all day long :lol:
The red and green pattern around the saints is how most paper bags full of candies look like. Their names in Portuguese is Cosme and Damião (wouldn’t have absolutely any clue to the English translation, if there is any, sorry!).
Below the saints, on the ground, a very common and familiar presence - a homeless person sleeping. Please bear in mind that it is seriously hot (yesterday’s real feel was 50oC :confused:). And some rubbish to the right, also unfortunately very common.
Snapseed
BFAB63A4-44B0-46FC-8E94-277D5811E34F.jpeg

younger

MobiLurver
Real Name
Juliana
Device
iPhone Xs
Theatro Municipal
Old spelling, nowadays = Teatro Municipal
Inspired by the Opèra, Paris
Beautiful old building (still functioning today with concerts, mainly classical music, ballet, operas, theatre plays) in the heart of downtown Rio. A classical street vendor getting ready to rock and roll, oops, to samba! :D
Snapseed
64760CA0-3B36-4AEC-A174-9605DE893B5E.jpeg

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Theatro Municipal
Beautiful old building (still functioning today with concerts, mainly classical music, ballet, operas, theatre plays) in the heart of downtown Rio. A classical street vendor getting ready to rock and roll, oops, to samba! :D
Snapseed
View attachment 121716
What a beautiful building. And that’s a heap of toilet rolls!!! :eek:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Theatro Municipal
Snapseed
View attachment 121716
What a beautiful building! I’d love to see the inside.

younger

MobiLurver
Real Name
Juliana
Device
iPhone Xs
The old and the new
The first ever favela (according to my mom :lmao:), Morro da Providência.
FYI, the name favela comes from a plant, common in the areas where the first hills were occupied by the slums.
And the (somewhat brand) new tram, that was inaugurated for the Olympic Games in 2016
Snapseed
07574C9E-6F2B-4247-84ED-EDCB7DC0431D.jpeg

younger

MobiLurver
Real Name
Juliana
Device
iPhone Xs
During a carnaval party. We throw confetti and something else I don’t know the name of in English, and kids love collecting them from the ground to throw them again. And again :D
No edit
AF1D10EE-4570-413A-907E-CAA884B01F92.jpeg

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
It’s fascinating for me to look at your pictures and see if I recognise anything from now having been there. Got to say there isn’t much so far. We did see the theatre building but I don’t remember seeing the new tram.