Where in the World - Subject to Interpretation: 6

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
As discussed in AlyZen's thread in Suggestions > Subject to Interpretation < the thought behind this Challenge is to get an idea of two distinct and unique impressions:

1. Where in the World our MobiMembers live, represented by an unprocessed (nekkid) iPhonoegraphy image of their choosing, from their home location;

2. MobiMembers will then process the image to enhance and emphasise the peculiarities of the chosen location in their own interpretation, no holds barred except that the processing must be carried out in an iDevice - iPhone, iTouch, or iPad.

Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted > HERE

Specific Rules & Guidelines for this 'Where in the World' Challenge:

1. One unprocessed iPhoneography image will be posted, from somewhere in the World, the home location of and by the MobiMember selected as the next WitW image poster by the current incumbent, once entries have closed;

2. The Challenge will run for most of one week from Sunday, 4th September 2011, closing for entries at, or around, Midnight, Friday, 9th Sept 2011.

3. The originator of the nekkid image in the current round will then select his/her favourite image and that lucky iPhoneographer will post the next WitW Challenge image, by the Sunday of that weekend, to start the next round - and so it will go, a One Week turn around for this challenge to keep it moving, so you must keep coming back to check progress and whether you are the lucky nekkid imager...

woz1966

MobiStar
Reaction score
Here goes...
Ruined Cotton Mill, Cheesden Valley, Lancashire, England.
These are the ruins of one of 4 cotton mills that nestle in a little valley hidden in the Lancashire, South Pennine Moors. The mill was in operation from the mid 18th to late 19th centuries and in it's heyday would have been a hive of industrial activity and not the peaceful countryside it is now. Cotton manufacturing was the English county of Lancashire's main source of income during the 19th century with most of the raw product coming from the North American Southern States plantations. This source was interrupted during the American Civil War when the Northern Union Navy blockaded the Confederate Ports. This forced many Lancashire mills into banckruptcy and to be abandoned during that period.
The nekkid picture is a bit blurred and will need a lot of love to make it shine as the ruins are not easy accessable from any road and required a hike through mud and rain to get there, so I was feeling a bit wet and dejected when taking the picture from my iPhone 3GS . The pictues has not been edited in any way and was taken with the standard iPhone App.
If you looking for inspiration, feel free to draw on the typical stereotypes associated with the North of England. For example:
"Its Grim up North"
"Dark Satanic Mills"
"Industrial Revolution"
Maybe the association with the American Southern Confedeate States and the American Civil War?
Over to you and enjoy!

2011-09-03_011635 PM.jpg

JillyG

IOTM Winner - September 2020 & January 2021
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Nice one Woz. Estate agents would describe this as a "project" with potential. Looking forward to some awesome processing a usual!

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Woz, thanks for the fantastic potted history of Lancashire's old mills. The image is a brilliant subject to work on, it lends itself to so many different possibilities. I can't wait for our ardent Mobitoggers to start working on this, myself included! :D

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
mrtnwild said:
Oh no I'm first out of the post.
Iris to boost saturation.
Be funky for smart sharpen.
Auto painter benson filter.
Back into iris to blend auto painter one with sharpened and saturated one
befunky for frame.

Good one!

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

AMMullan

MobiAddict
Reaction score
Real Name
Allan
image-2434538593.png

Snapseed (selective adjustments to increase colors)
Pixlormatic (Julia)
PhotoForge2 (top vignette, soft optics from popcam)
Pixlormatic (sand border)

I love these challenges, makes me think lots more about what works with what and how different people perceive an image :)

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
AMMullan: liking the vintagey colours here! Looks like some windswept moor, very atmospheric! :thumbs:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
This was a great photo to work with, and thanks for the history lesson - so interesting! :)

Here's my interpretation: HDR Camera + Pixlromatic.

image-24876426.png

woz1966

MobiStar
Reaction score
View attachment 2481

Snapseed (selective adjustments to increase colors)
Pixlormatic (Julia)
PhotoForge2 (top vignette, soft optics from popcam)
Pixlormatic (sand border)

I love these challenges, makes me think lots more about what works with what and how different people perceive an image :)

Nice edit that captures the bleakness of the day (it was pouring with rain when I took the picture) and the subject.

woz1966

MobiStar
Reaction score
Ok here is my interpretation. Apps used: HDR foto, AbstractMe, Bad-Camera. HDR Foto first for tweaking contrast, brightness, saturation and sharpness. AbstractMe for background. Bad-Camera for grunge and wonky frame.

View attachment 2491

I can't say I've heard of Bad-Camera before and that frame is bizarre. But does really works! A great edit AlyZen.

woz1966

MobiStar
Reaction score
This was a great photo to work with, and thanks for the history lesson - so interesting! :)

Here's my interpretation: HDR Camera + Pixlromatic.

View attachment 2493

The HDR really brings the stonework to life on your edit Catherine. I can't tell if this image has been desaturated down to hardly any colour or is completely B&W. Either way the resulting effect is impressive.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
woz1966 said:
The HDR really brings the stonework to life on your edit Catherine. I can't tell if this image has been desaturated down to hardly any colour or is completely B&W. Either way the resulting effect is impressive.

Thank you!! Yes, I immediately thought HDR when I saw this! It's not completely B&W - actually has some blue in it. :D