Where in the World - Subject to Interpretation: 7

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
As discussed in AlyZen's thread in Suggestions > Subject to Interpretation < the thought behind this Challenge is to get an idea of two distinct and unique impressions:

1. Where in the World our MobiMembers live, represented by an unprocessed (nekkid) iPhoneography image of their choosing, from their home location;

2. MobiMembers will then process the image to enhance and emphasise the peculiarities of the chosen location in their own interpretation, no holds barred except that the processing must be carried out in an iDevice - iPhone, iTouch, or iPad.

Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted > HERE

Specific Rules & Guidelines for this 'Where in the World' Challenge:

1. One unprocessed iPhoneography image will be posted, from somewhere in the World, the home location of and by the MobiMember selected as the next WitW image poster by the current incumbent, once entries have closed;

2. The Challenge will run for most of one week from Sunday, 11th September 2011, closing for entries at, or around, Midnight, Friday, 16th Sept 2011.

3. The originator of the nekkid image in the current round will then select his/her favourite image and that lucky iPhoneographer will post the next WitW Challenge image, by the Sunday of that weekend, to start the next round - and so it will go, a One Week turn around for this challenge to keep it moving, so you must keep coming back to check progress and whether you are the lucky nekkid imager...

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
Swaziland is small landlocked Country, nestled between South Africa and Mozambique. The King HM King Mswati is the last absolute reigning Monarch on the continent.
Population 1000 000 (in a negative growth)

A poor yet Beautiful country, the Swazi's are a peaceful nation. 90% of imports/exports are with South Africa. Tourism is large contributor to income at grassroots level.

Swazi's are very creative, soapstone carvings from Swaziland are known around the world. So is our handmade candle factory and glassblowing factory.

Well I went looking for hippo, zebra or crocs, nothing, it was high-noon and hot, they were all cooling off in the bush.

So here goes, this is Thomas, Rastafarian woodcarver. I told him what I was doing and have agreed to return to show him your images.

Hope you like

image-3511609854.png

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Richard
Device
IPhone XR
So here goes, this is Thomas, Rastafarian woodcarver. I told him what I was doing and have agreed to return to show him your images.
A beautiful idea, Gareth. Our interpretations of this picture, from all around the world, going back to this humble woodcarver in Africa. Kind of makes you feel small.

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
Thanks Richard, when you put it like that, it is humbling in a way
He is very aware of the internet and was intrigued by my mission and the images when I showed them to him. I got the feeling that he had some good education behind him. As a token of respect from my side, there was a token amount of cash offered.

Not the greatest of images by any means, I did not want to over stay my welcome.

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
A thought, I will ask him if I can take a photo of him holding the winning image and post it on here

Venomator

MobiLifer
Admin
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Awesome idea Gareth and a beautiful image for the community to get to work on... :thumbs:

Would be superb to get his photograph again with the winning image, shame we can't guarantee to have the winner taken with him, but perhaps the winner would be prepared to have their photograph taken with the image before and after, then to be shown to this characterful gent... :D

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
Awesome idea Gareth and a beautiful image for the community to get to work on... :thumbs:

Would be superb to get his photograph again with the winning image, shame we can't guarantee to have the winner taken with him, but perhaps the winner would be prepared to have their photograph taken with the image before and after, then to be shown to this characterful gent... :D
Yeah sounds good both ways. I want to go back and engage him to take more i.e Hipsta session on him.
I like the way This idea has developed.

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
Fantastic images, they are really well done both are reminiscent of covers of bob marley albums. You are talented folk.

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
Nice Woz, focusing on the real character of the man

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Great image Gareth, truly inspirational. I imagine where you live is not too different weather wise to my part of the world. So I decided to add a dry grass overlay with DXP then separate the subject using Iris mask. Then I added a frame in photoforge2.

image-45061487.png

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
Aaron, spot on re the weather, re all the grass, yeah thats pretty much what we look like during the very dry winter months.
During summer (coming up) different story altogether. The storms are wild.

Another awesome image.

To think I have to chose one and only one, driving me nuts.

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
sdgareth said:
Aaron, spot on re the weather, re all the grass, yeah thats pretty much what we look like during the very dry winter months.
During summer (coming up) different story altogether. The storms are wild.

Another awesome image.

To think I have to chose one and only one, driving me nuts.

We're heading into our wet/monsoon season as well in the next three months. Cairns is probably more like your Mozambique images. West of here is probably more like Swaziland. Well that's what I imagine from your photos anyway. :)

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
Pretty much so, Swaziland is the world's 3rd hottest spot for lightning strikes, seen some pretty wild storms. Seen a pine tree pop
like Christmas cracker and then the windows shatter being so close. During Summer with the storms, gets very very wet.
Good Luck with the world cup

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Cheers, does Swaziland have a team? Or does South Africa steal all your good players. :)

sdgareth

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Gareth Evans
:lol: there is no rugby in Swaziland, soccer mania here.

South Africa has good players? :alien: I think many of them are well past their prime.
On Sundays Game, Wales lost by one one point, but the Boks did not lose by one point. Boks were all over the place, poor tackling
and fracture under the high ball. Well done Wales

Robert Davies

MobiFan
Reaction score
:lol: there is no rugby in Swaziland, soccer mania here.

South Africa has good players? :alien: I think many of them are well past their prime.
On Sundays Game, Wales lost by one one point, but the Boks did not lose by one point. Boks were all over the place, poor tackling
and fracture under the high ball. Well done Wales

Sadly I missed the match on the TV but from what I'm told Wales deserved the win, it was just sheer bad luck that they lost by one point. Looking forward to the other Wales matches now!

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
image-359919744.png

Here is my interpretation. As the gentleman is a woodcarver, I decided to pay homage to his profession by giving him a slatted wooden backing as a frame. First, I used Picture Suite to make the original photo old-looking. Then, I used Lumiere to frame, grunge and turn the pic Sepia. The wooden slats background came from AbstractMe. I liked how the gentleman's horizontally-striped T-shirt contrasts with the vertical lines of the background. Finally, I used Iris to fine-tune and crop the image, and also adjusted the size and aspect ratio.

Hope your friend likes the resulting image, Gareth :).