• > Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and your MobiStaff... x x <

Which apps do you use?

Martin Pounds

MobiAddict
Reaction score
Real Name
Martin
Hi everyone. Being new to MobiTog I was wondering which apps you all use. I use the following:

Camera+ (for shooting)
Nightcap Pro (night shooting)
Pro HDR X (HDR shooting)
Photos (basic editing)
SKRWT (lens distortion)
TouchRetouch (clone stamp)
TaaDaa SLR (bokeh creation)
Metapho (exif info)
iBRIDGE (partners my iBRIDGE iPhone usb stick for offloading photos when my storage gets low)

I don't use all of them all the time but they all have there uses in certain situations. Most of my photos are shot with Camera+ and edited with the stock Photos app.

Sorry for the app explanations. Some are obvious but some are not [emoji4]

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
iPhone:

(4s) Native camera, PureShot, Hipstamatic, MoviePro, TouchRetouch, Snapseed, PicBeauty, NightCap Pro.

(3GS) Native camera, Hipstamatic, PixlrExpress.

Since I recently ruined myself on an iPad, I moved most post-processing apps to it:

iPad Mini: TouchRetouch, Snapseed, Camera+ (for all the filters, even paid ones), PS Express, ACDSee (that one's about to get deleted), HDR Art, Distressed FX, Mextures, Leonardo, Stackables, Pixlr, SKEW, 8mm, PhotoStudio (never used), FilterMania 2, Etchings, PicBeauty, Waterlogue, AutoPainter, AutoPainter II, Laminar Pro, Color Splash, Graffiti Me!, Retromatic, Comic Book!, VinylizeMe.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Martin I am also just recently enjoying a new iPad -- with a blissful 128g. So every app I've ever bought is currently on it, supposedly for me to work my way thru some kind of re-acquainting and/or updating/ditching process.

There's a lot of them! And for easily half of them, like many people, I've done the 'it's free today so may as well download it & try it out' thing. So I'm finding myself abandoning my good sensible intentions to carefully check out the apps so that I know exactly what I have and blah blah -- and just batch-ditching them.

My favourites are all the best ink/paint/sketch apps, anything JixiPix, Pixite, anything that rips up images (Decim8, RollWorld, DecoSketch etc), texture, masking, layering apps like Stackables, Brushstrokes, Mextures . . . Um.. Plus the standard editing apps as per the 'Essential Apps' list.

You'll have noticed that people here share the basic post-processing info when they post their images. I'll be interested to hear if you notice any particular additions or other changes to your own preferred apps list after browsing here for a while!

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Camera apps on iPhone 5s: At the moment I'm using Camera+ most of the time, but at other times I go on a streak with the native camera app or ProCamera. For HDR, I switch between vividHDR and Pro HDR X. For long exposures, Slow Shutter Cam or LongExpo Pro.

Photo utility apps: PhotoMeta (for looking at metadata -- doesn't currently show TIFF metadata but will according to the developer), SKRWT (for perspective correction and often for cropping), Big Photo (for resizing up or down)

Editing apps on iPad: Instaflash Pro/ACDSee* (for most adjustments), Snapseed, Photos, iColorama, Photoshop Touch (mainly for masking, cloning, and things like that)

Those are the apps I use all the time. I have a ton of other apps that I use for special purposes (PhotoCopier and BlackCam for example) or haven't yet worked with much (Brushstroke, Stackables, Superimpose, Tangled FX, etc., etc., etc.)

* Note on Instaflash Pro/ACDSee: These two apps are almost identical as far as editing controls go. They allow zoom while editing (unlike Snapseed) and include the great Light EQ, Tone EQ, and Color EQ controls along with the usual editing functions. So what advantage does ACDSee (which is on the expensive side) have over Instaflash Pro (which periodically goes free)? ACDSee offers selective correction for any of its options (implemented in a way that allows you to paint in the correction with a brush). It also offers add-on film filters, which I have no interest in except for the b/w filters, which I like quite a lot.

ACDSee also has some annoying quirks. One is that if you click Save, it wants to modify the original photo (so you have to click an unlabeled icon and then Save a Copy if you don't want to overwrite). A second is that, although it includes a nice photo browser, it does not list photos by the modified date, the way Photos and other photo apps do. Instead, it lists modified photos next to the original. That may have seemed like a good idea to someone, but in practice it means lots of scrolling up and down if you save a series of versions as you work on a photo.

So even though ACDSee does everything that Instaflash Pro does and more, I'm moving back towards using Instaflash Pro most of the time, except when I want the b/w filters or selective correction.

Chris Wadsworth

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris Wadsworth
Procamera 8 for shooting, sometimes Hipsta but I'm leaning away from that one

Snapseed, VSCO and Afterlight for editing and adding filters, Mextures if I fancy something a little different

Dramatic BW for black and white.

I'm also using Enlight from time to time

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Procamera 8 for shooting, sometimes Hipsta but I'm leaning away from that one

Snapseed, VSCO and Afterlight for editing and adding filters, Mextures if I fancy something a little different

Dramatic BW for black and white.

I'm also using Enlight from time to time
Hey Chris, any feedback on your 'minimalist for March' thing?

(Any plans for 'Avaricious for April' in the pipeline?) :lmao:

Chris Wadsworth

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris Wadsworth
Hey Chris, any feedback on your 'minimalist for March' thing?

(Any plans for 'Avaricious for April' in the pipeline?) :lmao:
March was pretty much wiped out for taking photos, three weeks saw all the kids at home for a week each ill, chicken pox on two and vertigo ( vertigo?????) on the other. I did take some, and only used the apps I said I'd use.

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
I think I'll have to write something more about Hipstamatic.

As fully visible in other posts by me, I have a strong, passionated love/hate relationship with this app.

I love the basic idea behind Hipsta: tenderly imitating ol' polaroid snaps from the 60's and 70's.

I hate the fact that you have to dive into a plethora of mushy "films and lenses" and hope to get a combo you can live with.

And if you get tired of trying, you shake your phone hoping to get surprised by the random settings, but mostly you just get disappointed.

Old school pics, yeah ok cute. But those gdmn frames, stains, burnt edges and whatnot... come on!

And don't get me started about virtual "camera bags"...

So, from time to time, when I feel a bit adventurous, I'll pop out my old 3GS and enter a random shooting frenzy, but for the most part, I'll avoid that app as much as I can from now on.

And yes, that decision is just a few minutes fresh, after looking through 100+ pics shot yesterday with the new Hipstapak. After a very critical look on the pics, I was left with this thought:

Bleak colors, frames, ugly stains/color bleeding. This is *so* below my standards.

So anyone considering buying Hipsta: don't. Save your money, mind and nerves. Really.

odilonvert

Un-moderated me!...
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jennifer Sharpe
Meh, I am still an unashamed supporter of Hipstamatic. As I stated elsewhere, somewhere, at some time.

As for the new filters, I'm not big on its border, only because I rarely use Polaroid style framing and then for very specific things, but I can always chop it off. The new film/lens combination is very saturated, which I like, and the lens in particular is gorgeous in combination with other films.

So here's some examples, shot at the end of the day, while in a moving car (passenger seat). P.S. I ought to point out that our car window has stains, adding to the overall typical grimy big city look. I'm cool with that.

With Robusta film (picked at random), full combination without border, full combination with border:

withrobusta.jpg

ficusdecosansborder.jpg

ficusdeco.jpg

odilonvert

Un-moderated me!...
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jennifer Sharpe
And, I have a stupidly (to me) large amount of apps, which would in no way all fit on my phone (I don't have some crazy amount of space or power, but that's probably a good thing to force me to be somewhat focused and disciplined). Hipstamatic is one that always stays on my phone. The majority of the ones here tend to as well, the rest are taken on and off the cloud depending on what I am doing/want to do. Only 2 of these folders have no photo/video apps in them, the other has only one. One of the folders has two pages.

A friend of mine who shoots mobile once took a look at my screen and said "Oh you are crazy." Not as crazy as some, I say...

screen.jpg

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
And, I have a stupidly (to me) large amount of apps, which would in no way all fit on my phone (I don't have some crazy amount of space or power, but that's probably a good thing to force me to be somewhat focused and disciplined). Hipstamatic is one that always stays on my phone. The majority of the ones here tend to as well, the rest are taken on and off the cloud depending on what I am doing/want to do. Only 2 of these folders have no photo/video apps in them, the other has only one. One of the folders has two pages.

A friend of mine who shoots mobile once took a look at my screen and said "Oh you are crazy." Not as crazy as some, I say...

View attachment 63874
I once had 4 folders with 3 pages each, only photo apps - on my 16g 4s. Even to this day, I can't fit all apps in any or all devices. Many of them rests in the cloud, sometimes I get rid of an app, installing another. But new ones comes along every week, so...

But there are a few that I use daily, so they'll stay. Like, Snapseed and TouchRetouch. Can't live without them :sneaky:

odilonvert

Un-moderated me!...
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jennifer Sharpe
I once had 4 folders with 3 pages each, only photo apps - on my 16g 4s. Even to this day, I can't fit all apps in any or all devices. Many of them rests in the cloud, sometimes I get rid of an app, installing another. But new ones comes along every week, so...

But there are a few that I use daily, so they'll stay. Like, Snapseed and TouchRetouch. Can't live without them :sneaky:
Since I seem to be in a transformational (and perhaps austere) stage, trying to shed certain things that I've kept in my life but have turned into security blankets more than things that really do much for me, I do wonder about that question you just brought up - if some type of forbidding authority came around and only allowed me to have ONE photo app outside of native camera, what would it be? I am leaning toward 645 Pro. Because in addition to fine controls and high resolution, it also has a decent selection of film filters and gradients. You can actually do a lot with just those things.

Other apps I have are related more to graphics and typography, painting and drawing, collage... Those are great, handy and fun, but if I were restricted to using my camera JUST as a camera, I could do it. Hmmm..... maybe there's an extreme challenge for me in that thought. Use the camera JUST as a camera, do all other kinds of editing, if needed, on my iMac. Which I can easily do if I am veering away from pure photography.

Last edited:

odilonvert

Un-moderated me!...
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jennifer Sharpe
<unintentional post - ignore please>

odilonvert

Un-moderated me!...
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jennifer Sharpe
Good choice, sadly I've kicked out my copy. Why? iPhone 4s = L + A + G...
I was lucky to replace my 4 with a 5c last year, only because our contract being up, we had an opportunity to get a new phone. We got the cheapest new one we could.

That's another thing - this rush to get the latest and greatest in technology. It's not the kind of consumerism that I can tolerate, ultimately the rush to market is based more on greed than necessity, and in some products, the shoddiness of that shows. Who needs that? I don't.

Don't mind me. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the world.

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
I was lucky to replace my 4 with a 5c last year, only because our contract being up, we had an opportunity to get a new phone. We got the cheapest new one we could.

That's another thing - this rush to get the latest and greatest in technology. It's not the kind of consumerism that I can tolerate, ultimately the rush to market is based more on greed than necessity, and in some products, the shoddiness of that shows. Who needs that? I don't.

Don't mind me. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the world.
Who isn't and I agree about the "oooh shiny" madness. And, speaking of apps - I wish that some developers would stop being update bonanza idiots, rendering the app dead for older devices and slowing down all but the latest hilariously overpriced iThingy.

Mik

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
Device
iPhone X
You are all app junkies, right? :)

My most used photo apps:

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1428398382.580756.jpg

And sometimes I use these. Because of that they are in a folder.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1428398489.821679.jpg

odilonvert

Un-moderated me!...
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jennifer Sharpe
Who isn't and I agree about the "oooh shiny" madness. And, speaking of apps - I wish that some developers would stop being update bonanza idiots, rendering the app dead for older devices and slowing down all but the latest hilariously overpriced iThingy.
I had that complaint about not supporting older devices when I had a 4 and the new iOS came out (too huge to put on a 4). The slew of answers I got revolved around it being too much to support the older devices. But the thing of the matter is that new devices and OS' come out so quickly that it's a bit inhuman, in terms of "normal time," to retire them after a couple of years. I think that unlike medical science, which brings something truly life affecting to our lives, and would be welcomed with quick development (i.e. a vaccine for EBOLA), the tech world is a teeny weeny bit off in thinking that every advance is something you can't live without. Yes, it's fascinating, but no, if the gadget you have works fine, why stop supporting it so quickly? Do we buy new cars every year just because the new edition can brush your teeth while you drive or comb your hair or feel you up or some such pleasurable but unnecessary innovation when it comes down to it? The marketing is just too much. The pricing is just too much. And we all fall victim to it at some point or another, despite knowing this at the bottom of it all - stupid, isn't it? It's a real con.

And in terms of making art, it's entirely irrelevant - artists are resourceful, if something doesn't exist, you make it yourself in your own way. Or, that's the way it should be, right? Creative solutions. Your own.

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
You are all app junkies, right? :)
Oh yes. But more than anything, I'm a photo junkie. Got reminded today when I walked home, passed by the lake here and saw swans. And then, almost 200 pics shot from TWO devices, my old 3GS and newer 4s followed, rendering my fingers numb and my arms aching like hell. But it was worth it, since one of the gracious swans finally dropped its natural snob manners and gave me a pure "pro model" performance before taking off quickly into the middle of the lake, like saying: ok you got what you wanted, bye now.

And me, walking home smiling at the photo shoot with cooperative swans and the heavy sunshine today, but also frowning since I was in a bit of pain, started to think: what kind of crazy people ARE we photographers anyway? Almost suffering our guts out for a couple of pics, but if ONE of them is very good, we will do the same thing over and over again, no lessons learned here.

It's all for the art :lmao:

Delta

Pretty poisonous...
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Delta
For the most part I use:

Pureshot for camera
Paintfx
Stackables
Glaze
Psexpress
Blender
Repix
Retouch
Shockmypic
iResize
A+Signature

unless I'm looking for a special effect then...it could be any of the aforementioned apps and a few more.
:)