Which photo was taken with an iPhone 5S and which with an SLR?

lookingGlass79

Daily Chronicler...
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brandy
Device
iPhone 6
Onsite
Project Page
Can you tell? Care to guess?

If I didn't know already I couldn't tell any difference! Just to show the quality achieved with the iPhones and why so many of us really on them as our primary photography tool! I'm so happy to have this comparison to show any and all nay sayers who think their Big Camera is the only "real" camera!

One photo taken with native camera in iPhone 5s
Other taken with Sony A55 16.2mp DSLR with the standard 18-55mm lens
image.jpg

Collage app used: Photostein

Bottom is iPhone, slightly more detail in the veining of the petals of the dslr (top) image but the bottom is still no slouch.

These are both great. I'm going with the consensus choices.

I must say, while I'm impressed with the iphone, the difference becomes very apparent when you turn your photos into physical objects (print them,) unless youre paying through the nose for your printing or a house like Steidel is publishing your book, (see the book "I, Dubai" for some of the greatest printed iphone photos you could ever imagine.) Otherwise the difference in quality of detail, sharpness contrast and color between a DSLR with large sensor and 16.2 quality mp is undeniable in physical prints. The 5s just can't compare.

None the less, "quality of image," to me, is a far second to immediacy and emotion. If the image or print accurately captures the colors, framing and image the photographer wants then who cares how they compare? These are all just tools to make our work with advantages and disadvantages unique to themselves; they produce different images in their own ways, which isn't to say I'm not utterly curious to see where this tech all goes, but also, I have to tell you, recently I've been going through thousands of photos from 2007 to today that started with my original iphone, and I miss the little camera in that model 3g. I miss that there was no auto focus (I hate autofocus that is slow and tempermental.) I miss that that there was no light metering (I'm comfortable using natural light and anticipating how it will affect the image, and I like being surprised when I was wrong,) I loved how it reacted to low light, and was unable to capture movement so when you did capture movement there was this tremendous ghosting that I've never seen in any other images except in xrays. I just love how unique those images look.

As things become more "accurate" for me I find they often become more boring. I don't think accuracy is the be all end all of anything unless it's accuracy of emotion and the moment. So, yes, I find it interesting, but no, I don't think it matters or that the iphone's camera need to somehow emulate a DSLR to be a valuable tool of choice. One day I know it will, but for now I'm happy. I only wish I had the option to occassionally go back to my 3g camera. :)

Thank you everyone for your replies and guesses and you are all perfectly correct!!! The top image with the shallow depth of field is the DSLR image (I should've taken it off of auto WB I think but it's ok) and the bottom would then of course be my awesome iPhone. I'm headed to see Jeff Dunham (if you know who he is, a comedian) tonight armed only with my trusty iPhone. Quite excited about a night out with my husband, a rare event! Have a great weekend everyone!

Just like to add that I couldn't tell which one was which as I dont have iphone 5 or dslr, but i do have a iphone 4 and i think that the background in the second photo showed more detail whereas the first seemed to be over exposed and rather devoid of sharpness. Therefore i think that the second one was the better photo, in my eyes, but i'm no expert or a critic, just like what i like if no-one else does

Well done because i couldn't tell which was which.

With the right setup, lenses, for either then the outcome could have been very different.

What a fun experiment! :D

Definitely reinforces for me that it's not necessarily the "tool" but the artist's eye and skill. Add to that the fact we have an amazing tool that fits in the palm of our hand or our pocket and is ever at the ready to capture a moment in time. :inlove:

@lookingGlass79 Brandy I hope you and your husband have a blast tonight! Looking forward to seeing your images!

@lookingGlass79 Hi Brandy, with the depth of field it was quite easy to guess but a fun experiment. I would suggest you to shoot some landscape, maybe in middle afternoon, or even better in cloudy situation without a strong sun to handle and maybe we might have some interesting surprise. In any case, the quality is already awesome but in few years it will be outstanding probably.

Back
Top Bottom