Who has the ipad mini?

ValeriGail

MobiLurver
Real Name
Valeri
Device
questions, questions, questions...

The ipad mini vrs the Ipad.. For editing. Which would ya'll recommend?

My husband wants a kindle fire, and if we just happen into the money for one... I think I might try to talk him into a ipad mini instead. Its a long shot that the money will show up, but I can dream big ya know!

Good question Valeri :) I'd like to know too ! They are much cheaper than the original ipad ! I might be persuaded due to the cost !

If you could swing it I would definitely go for an iPad. You have no idea what a difference the extra screen real estate makes when doing fine image work. The larger screen does it for me ... but then again I am seriously myopic!

On the other hand I would give an arm and a leg (along with many other non-essential organs) for an iPad mini.

If you could swing it I would definitely go for an iPad. You have no idea what a difference the extra screen real estate makes when doing fine image work. The larger screen does it for me ... but then again I am seriously myopic!

On the other hand I would give an arm and a leg (along with many other non-essential organs) for an iPad mini.
Yes editing on a big screen has to be better ! Just the money with me !

see my thinking is that kindle fire hd and the ipad mini run with in a $30 margin of each other. So if it was me chosing, ya'll know I'd be picking that mini ipad in a heartbeat... ok I don't even think it would take me a heartbeat to pick it. I think records would be broken for the fastest time a girl could fly herself to the check out line at the apple store! ;) So if I had to chose sharing, and only occasionally getting to edit on it since it would be my hubbies... I'd do it just to get to use the thing! if I could only convince him to go that route.. and come up with the money as well. I just want to have the argument down before the money shows up so that he doesn't make a mistake he regrets.

Mine won't come till sometime next year... or if by some miraculous event I start becoming super duper famous and sell paintings. I just don't see that happening. I sold not a one at my show last week. *insert boo hoo crying face here that I don't see in the emoticon list*

iPad over kindle definitely :) I think I'm old fashioned but I would rather read a book than use a gadget that run out of charge or that you can drop and smash , an iPad is so versatile in comparison too ! It can do such a variety of things that a kindle just can't !

iPad over kindle definitely :) I think I'm old fashioned but I would rather read a book than use a gadget that run out of charge or that you can drop and smash , an iPad is so versatile in comparison too ! It can do such a variety of things that a kindle just can't !
Yes, the diversity aspect would win me over, especially if the price difference is only $30.

Vix, I agree with you about real books, but I must say I've read several on my iPhone! I make the font big, and it's actually quite easy. I'm never near a bookstore these days, and it's so much easier to go on Amazon and buy it and have it sent right to my iPhone immediately. It's sad though, that BOOKS are going to be obsolete someday. :(

I have two kindles. the kindle 2 and 3 with keyboard. LOVE THEM. I can't hold a book anymore....but but but but but.... I collect books. like its a serious issue. lol. I have boxes and boxes of books. I sell them on consignment, my fam uses me as a library and I keep the special ones I can't part with! LOL. But I read on my kindle and my son uses the kindle 2. There will never be a day that books go away because there are too many people like me ;)

Is the Kindle made by Apple?... :barf:

Is the Pope Catholic?... :zip:

And anyway, for sheer versatility, flexibility and 'other' usefulness... :D

Never mind the total cool... :rog:

Was there ever any doubt for the Ven, is there likewise, really any doubt for the other V... :lmao:

Is the Kindle made by Apple?... :barf:

Is the Pope Catholic?... :zip:

And anyway, for sheer versatility, flexibility and 'other' usefulness... :D

Never mind the total cool... :rog:

Was there ever any doubt for the Ven, is there likewise, really any doubt for the other V... :lmao:

True... but the conversation has been great! ;) aint no doubt if it was totally up to me, I'd go straight for the big daddy and not look back. I don't know why I'm having to convince my hubby other than he's worried I'll steal his gadget like he stole my laptop! hmmmm......

I have an iPad mini. LOVE IT! :inlove:

For editing at home - iPad is best. For mobile editing (the mini runs all the photo apps) it's a mini for me! :D

Kindle fire or ipad mini: don't even bother looking at the kindle. It's effectively just a shop front for amazon's content, and not well supported by developers so don't expect much in the way of apps. (It's basically an android tablet, which is already a poorly supported beast, and amazon have their own app market with terms that most devs seriously don't like!)

Full sized ipad or mini? That's a tough one. Ipad 2 or mini is easy: mini. You get the same hardware in a much more portable package. iPad 3/4 or mini? That really comes down to how you'll use it.

I have an ipad 3 and a mini ("benefit" of being a dev, I have to buy them for testing.. downside of being a dev, I have to pay for them all :mad:). I use the mini most of the time, and I bought a nice leather case for it because I carry it with me a lot of the time. It's a *LOT* more convenient, it'll easily slip into a bag or a big pocket. And it's a lot better to handle too - it just feels so much lighter and smaller that it's more of a pleasure to hold. If it was as fast as the ipad 3 and had a retina screen I seriously think I'd *never* use the ipad 3.

However, there's the flip side. The ipad 3/4 screen is simply stunning. For photography work, a screen this good is an amazing thing. It's not like working on a computer screen any more, it's like working on a 10" glossy print. For photo editing I'd definitely go for the "big and chunky" model (seems crazy saying that about something as svelte as an ipad, but compared to the mini it seriously is!)

So I reckon it comes down to how much editing you'll do on it, and how much you'll carry it around.

R
I think I need to show my son Leslee's post ... even though he is only 12 he should make a plan to help poor old Dad out.
Don't you agree?
Robert, I was trying to figure out how we could be reverse-adopted to be Leslee's parents. I am certain that the people who claim to be my parents must have been mistaken. Chances are they could be easily convinced to give me up, 59 years after the fact... AND, for an iPad mini, I could look just like Leslee's avatar, with slightly more grunge. We could work out the details...

Between the iPad Mini and the Fire is for me a no-brainer. The Fire as mentioned is nothing more than a storefront. Now between the iPad (full size) and the Mini would be a little harder to decide. I had an iPad 2 that I used for almost a year and then the iPad 3 came out. Bad idea going to the store to see and play with it... In the end I bought an iPad 3 and my wife uses the iPad 2. When I got the 3 I got the 64 gig version, the 2 was a 32 gig and I was forever low on space (my wife says I am an appaholic). Love the screen on the 3. At Christmas I had a chance to play for a few hours on a Mini and could see buying one in the next while, love the size and weight. On the downside is right now the screen res though it is sharper than the 2 it would be nice if it was retina. Latest rumours say maybe in march for retina Mini. The other downside is that because I am aging my eyesight keeps getting worst (who knew) I can see things better on the bigger iPad. Right now the 3 is also faster than the 2 or Mini and for anything graphics intensive the faster the better. Then a few months after I got the 3 Apple put out the 4. In the end it comes down to what you thinks would work best for you but I would be really torn between a full size if the next iteration of the Mini is both faster and has a retina screen.

Larry, firstly well done for admitting your are an appaholic. You are among friends. :D

I agree with most of your analysis on the what I think we'll have to start calling the iPad Family. I bought a mini when it first appeared and don't regret it for a second - but I'm also in the fortunate position of having an iPad 3 as well. Whether I could survive with just the mini is another question. However, from an iphoneography point of view, the mini is a far easier way to carry around an editing device in the field. Ultimately, as you say, it comes down to what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom