Who owns an apped image?

mahoganyturtle

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
mel
Matt just commented on an image I have on IG asking if I'd shared it here or not and it made me wonder where ownership of an image lies if your image is an apped version of someone else's photo?

well that's an interesting question. I'd start by saying that you should not be using anyones images without their permission they own the copyright on the original work and unless it is under an agreement where you are allowed to use it you shouldn't.

Other than that i think this is one for the lawyers...

Agreed in all Gordon. If the original photog has given you full permission to edit etc then it is yours to use as you see fit.

Smooth said:
Agreed in all Gordon. If the original photog has given you full permission to edit etc then it is yours to use as you see fit.
I would also think that even if someone gives you a photo of theirs to app, then it belongs to both of the people - its a collaboration.

I've collabed a couple times and I always state "photo by ___________, revisualization by me."

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

I remember being told that if you change something and it's over 70% different from the original then it's there's no case for a copyright infringement. In saying that I don't know if that applies to photography and/or if it applies to only specific countries.

Either way it's wrong! If I ever saw one of my photos, even apped, being passed off as someone elses I'd be miffed. In cases like the challenges here, I keep a copy of the original and the version I've worked on so I can show people the before/after but I never say "I took that photo".

Eeek I had no intention of passing it off as something I took either :s I just was not even sure if I was allowed to share it here or if it had to stay within IG

I am guessing my original instincts were correct Matt ;) leave it the realm from whence it came ;)

Eeek I had no intention of passing it off as something I took either :s I just was not even sure if I was allowed to share it here or if it had to stay within IG

I am guessing my original instincts were correct Matt ;) leave it the realm from whence it came ;)

Noone would think you would Mel, you're own work is too good for you to need to! :) But I don't see there being a problem cross sharing an edited image, I would think you'd normally say that it's an edit that you have done or something anyway so I don't see a big deal...

I was asked to app some shots from a P1xels member for a thing on that site. I did a few of the chaps nudes.... One of them is actually one of my favourite images i've ever made. I have never put it anywhere though as i do not consider it my work.

there have been several court cases about this sort of thing. I'll see if i can find the one i'm thinking of....

Back
Top Bottom