HipstaPaks Who, What, Why - VHS SnapPak... ?

Venomator

MobiLifer
MobiStaff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 13 Pro
Who, What, Why - VHS SnapPak... ?

Middle of January and another Hipstamatic SnapPak suddenly turns up... :whistle:
EDIT: Apparently, according to our more on the ball resident HipstaSpert, AKA Leslie (lkbside), this pack does seem to be the First Friday - January 2019 HipstaPak/SnapPak - who knew... :whistle:

So, here we have the VHS SnapPak for your delight & delectation... :D

44088D5F-B669-4185-8E33-A6F4C1931D51.jpeg
FA3199CB-82CA-41C7-85CB-51DA200A4641.jpeg
F919D343-F651-48CC-B8CF-8ABAF60A5930.jpeg
557B5D04-0BD8-4762-94B4-97F207A56D19.jpeg
7DAE94A1-9DA9-4DE1-A32C-91CE26E0E139.jpeg

Rog, what’s the difference between a SnapPak and any other Pak? And/or is this a late ‘First Friday’ Pak?
Who knows Jennifer, who knows... :rog:

Perhaps Leslie can enlighten us... :whistle:

Otherwise, you could try and work it out from the HipstaGear site, I can’t as there does not appear to be any consistency of type whatsoever!... :coffee:

HipstaGearSite - contains all the information about all the Paks various, except whether there is any difference... :D

The various types are:
Standard Gear
HipstaPaks
GoodPaks - mostly specials I believe?
SnapPaks
FreePaks
SpecialPaks - different to GoodPaks in that they’re mostly RetroPaks, CasePaks and HolidayPaks!

:D

Can’t get this one to work. Horrible. I waited a few days to cave in. Only marginal with simple lines/graphics. Film ok, lens can a produce a couple interesting results with BW film.

it came out last weekend.
Well, if you can’t produce anything marvellous with it Leslie, there is NO hope for the rest of us!

This 90’s pack shakes up the overall impression I had of Hipstamatic as representing antique film styles and pairing them with poorly cared for antique lenses, and then developed by a very clumsy beginners using muddy water. I guess they have run out of ways to denegrate old films and cameras so they have to move closer to the present.
But why emulate a video format?
If they plan to come closer to the present with films and cameras that might be exciting. For instance, what if the emulated a classic film like Kodachrome 25?(Kodachrome was introduced 1935 and discontinued 2009. Kodachrome II in 1961 at 25 ASA, became Kodachrome 25 in 1974) and paired it with a classic camera from the same time period. Maybe a Nikon F-series camera. Maybe the first Olympus OM-1 from 1973. Or the OM-4 from 1983. Or a Leica M4 from 1967 or a Leica M2 from 1958.
Then how about a classic film from Fuji such as Fujichrome 50RFP.
But, silly me, I can see problem with this. The results from those films and cameras were excellent, far beyond the capabilities of Hipstamatic to come close to.

This 90’s pack shakes up the overall impression I had of Hipstamatic as representing antique film styles and pairing them with poorly cared for antique lenses, and then developed by a very clumsy beginners using muddy water. I guess they have run out of ways to denegrate old films and cameras so they have to move closer to the present.
But why emulate a video format?
If they plan to come closer to the present with films and cameras that might be exciting. For instance, what if the emulated a classic film like Kodachrome 25?(Kodachrome was introduced 1935 and discontinued 2009. Kodachrome II in 1961 at 25 ASA, became Kodachrome 25 in 1974) and paired it with a classic camera from the same time period. Maybe a Nikon F-series camera. Maybe the first Olympus OM-1 from 1973. Or the OM-4 from 1983. Or a Leica M4 from 1967 or a Leica M2 from 1958.
Then how about a classic film from Fuji such as Fujichrome 50RFP.
But, silly me, I can see problem with this. The results from those films and cameras were excellent, far beyond the capabilities of Hipstamatic to come close to.
I think it's just meant to be a bit of fun Brian, not serious grown-up photography ;)

I think it's just meant to be a bit of fun Brian, not serious grown-up photography ;)
Yeah, I sort of get that. :cry::poo::zip: And yet, people seem to take Hipstamatic so seriously.
I’ve looked at lots of film emulation apps and nobody does the good films. Always some trashy print films.
When you look at how digital works it relates directly to transparency film, not print film.
A combo like Kodachrome 25 and a good camera, now that would be my type of fun. Yessireeeee. :thumbs:

The 90's Are Calling...

Remember the days of recording your favorite sitcoms on VHS tapes (because if you missed an episode it was gone forever ). Those tapes would constantly get recorded over, creating some beautiful glitches and distortions – which brings us to our latest effect! The VHS SnapPak brings 90's love to your favorite photos.

JOEY LENS
It's time to crawl into your attic and dust off your VHS copies of 90s sitcoms. This glitchy lens stretches, ripples and pixels different color channels to make your photos all that and a bag a chips!

WHOA FILM

Glitched out tapes from 1995 were used in the making of this distorted film. Add layers of dope textures to be the flyest kid on Instagram.

Open in Hipstamatic
Enjoy these beautiful samples and share yours on Oggl!
af2b8615-4621-42ad-a91f-291b71595b7d.png

fd366068-b55a-4df6-91d7-2f7e1b0953c7.png

475c16cc-1610-42b1-ba6e-6f89797fcc13.png

96244f87-1205-4f26-ace3-3a7f240bfb3d.png

The 90's Are Calling...

Remember the days of recording your favorite sitcoms on VHS tapes (because if you missed an episode it was gone forever ). Those tapes would constantly get recorded over, creating some beautiful glitches and distortions – which brings us to our latest effect! The VHS SnapPak brings 90's love to your favorite photos.

JOEY LENS
It's time to crawl into your attic and dust off your VHS copies of 90s sitcoms. This glitchy lens stretches, ripples and pixels different color channels to make your photos all that and a bag a chips!

WHOA FILM

Glitched out tapes from 1995 were used in the making of this distorted film. Add layers of dope textures to be the flyest kid on Instagram.

Open in Hipstamatic
Enjoy these beautiful samples and share yours on Oggl!
af2b8615-4621-42ad-a91f-291b71595b7d.png

fd366068-b55a-4df6-91d7-2f7e1b0953c7.png

475c16cc-1610-42b1-ba6e-6f89797fcc13.png

96244f87-1205-4f26-ace3-3a7f240bfb3d.png

It makes me shudder. I guess video then was 640 x 480.

I’m guessing by their use of the words “dope” and “fly” they’re going after a different demo than me with this pak. :rolleyes::lol:

I was wondering about the 'why' too, until I read somewhere that the whole 'retro video' look is currently very popular with the younger folk. They use it is their social postings and chortle about how bad video was back in the olden days. Sorry, kids, it wasn't all bad and was all we knew back then. :whistle:

Another I will not get, maybe in one of the RetroPaks but certainly not about to spend anything for this right now, even the current price is too high IMHO :)

Back
Top Bottom