Mobi52 WildPlace's Project 52 - 2023

I did a 365 (could it be 10 years ago?!?!? :fearscream:) Then did several 52s which were much more manageable. I’m toying with the idea of a 365 though…:thinking::cautious::facepalm:
Oooh, go for it! :) My last 365 was in 2018 and i did great until late in the year when life got in the way somewhat - I have the first 7 months of that printed out and in an album.

Week 1

87F5F203-E1EB-43D6-B29A-6864C6A911CA.jpeg

iPhone X, Hipstamatic
A cold and frosty New Year’s day, but beautifully sunny and calm! All the water lying in the hollows and most of the loch surfaces were frozen. We spent the day from first light to dusk birding and recorded 58 species. I looked in the book i record my sightings in to 1st January last year and it said “weather rubbish, pouring rain and winds gusting to 70mph”.

So that’s the first week done, does that mean i can have a rest now until next week! ;)

Week 1

View attachment 188654
iPhone X, Hipstamatic
A cold and frosty New Year’s day, but beautifully sunny and calm! All the water lying in the hollows and most of the loch surfaces were frozen. We spent the day from first light to dusk birding and recorded 58 species. I looked in the book i record my sightings in to 1st January last year and it said “weather rubbish, pouring rain and winds gusting to 70mph”.

So that’s the first week done, does that mean i can have a rest now until next week! ;)
What a fantastic landscape and lovely edit :) Looks like Iceland to me. 58 species - that’s impressive! A very beautiful day here today too. Just checked the forecast for tomorrow. I immediately shut down the app:eek::D
And don’t forget - next week starts tomorrow ;) Or is it the old standard with Sunday as the first weekday?

Last edited:
What a fantastic landscape and lovely edit :) Looks like Iceland to me. 58 species - that’s impressive! A very beautiful day here today too. Just checked the forecast for tomorrow. I immediately shut down the app:eek::D
And don’t forget - next week starts tomorrow ;) Or is it the old standard with Sunday as the first weekday?
Thanks :) Yes, like Iceland - barren and treeless (though we are going to the east of the island tomorrow for a tree fix). Oh no, hope your weather isn't too bad tomorrow! We have a good forecast again tomorrow then it goes downhill rapidly...
I'm taking my week to be Sunday to Saturday I think :)

Week 1

View attachment 188654
iPhone X, Hipstamatic

58 species in one day? I don’t think I have 58 on my life list…….

:geek: eBird is currently telling me my life list is 714 species but that includes various trips overseas... Compared to really serious birders my list is pretty small :lmao:
I just checked my Merlin app and I have exactly 58 on my life list. :lmao: I haven’t been very diligent, there’s a number of very common birds I haven’t put in. I’m just waiting til I see them. My husband is the real birder in the family. I’m taking it that you host a birding forum. Is it something that we can take a look at?

:lmao: well done on your 58! I'm pretty sure you can add a few to that :) Yes, I set up the Outer Hebrides Birds website/forum a few years ago, it's pretty niche as it just covers the island chain I live on but there are a few regulars that participate and we put daily sightings on.
My husband is looking forward to checking the birds of Scotland!

Lots of them here are very different to yours across the pond there :) We do get U.S. birds turn up here though, particularly in the autumn and they usually cause bit of a stir with those that wish to get them on their U.K. list
We do get some totally off course birds here, too. One summer we had a pelican at the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge. They are mostly in the west cost and Florida. Just last year we had a spoonbill in the same area. Again usually in Florida and central and south america.

We do get some totally off course birds here, too. One summer we had a pelican at the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge. They are mostly in the west cost and Florida. Just last year we had a spoonbill in the same area. Again usually in Florida and central and south america.
Yes, they do seem to like going wandering :)

Week 2 / 52 Finally able to get out for a wee walk today - the weather has been horrendous, wet and windy, as soon as I saw sunshine today I dashed out. As soon as I got home the heavens opened again :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 188896
iPhone X, Hipstamatic
Congratulations Yvonne :) Lovely image. Like a painting but at the same time very realistic.
About the weather.... same here, minus your short moments of sun. We saw the moon for a few minutes late yesterday evening. This weather is getting on my nerves.

Week 2 / 52 Finally able to get out for a wee walk today - the weather has been horrendous, wet and windy, as soon as I saw sunshine today I dashed out. As soon as I got home the heavens opened again :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 188896
iPhone X, Hipstamatic
Glad you were able to get out. We’ve been gloomy and on and off drizzle for quite a while here.

Congratulations Yvonne :) Lovely image. Like a painting but at the same time very realistic.
About the weather.... same here, minus your short moments of sun. We saw the moon for a few minutes late yesterday evening. This weather is getting on my nerves.
Yes i saw your own post about the weather, i was getting very twitchy with three days not walking, i don’t like being cooped up inside. And it’s been so grey and depressing, yesterday i wandered round the house and garden (in the rain) and photographed all the brightest things i could just to cheer me up then made a picture in PhotoCollage

F63D4902-18F5-405D-95B5-F1B5FFB22397.jpeg

Week 3 / 52

Up early and out and about to do the monthly bird counts. A very dreich and dreary day, quite breezy and took a wee break at the bay at Ardivachar in the north-west of my island where the Atlantic rollers were crashing in.

HipstamaticPhoto-696173137.391888.jpg

Messed about quite a bit with this: iPhone X, Slow Shutter app, Distressed FX, Hipstamatic and native editor.

Week 3 / 52

Up early and out and about to do the monthly bird counts. A very dreich and dreary day, quite breezy and took a wee break at the bay at Ardivachar in the north-west of my island where the Atlantic rollers were crashing in.

View attachment 189247
Messed about quite a bit with this: iPhone X, Slow Shutter app, Distressed FX, Hipstamatic and native editor.
Fantastic edit :inlove: I'm glad I wasn't there with you. I walked out today as usual. Not the nicest walk weatherwise :coffee:

Yes i saw your own post about the weather, i was getting very twitchy with three days not walking, i don’t like being cooped up inside. And it’s been so grey and depressing, yesterday i wandered round the house and garden (in the rain) and photographed all the brightest things i could just to cheer me up then made a picture in PhotoCollage

View attachment 188899
Love the colorful buoys, and what a bright and happy quilt!

Back
Top Bottom