• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Would you Upgrade for new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 pro or iPhone 11pro Max

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m pretty happy with my 8 Plus but I will certainly be looking at the new phones perhaps in the new year. My main interest would be better low light performance.
Still, when I hear people say that such and such cell phone camera has near DSLR quality they must not be keeping track of what recent camera are doing.
As much as I like to photograph with my iPhone, and I treat it like a real camera, it isn’t anything like a real camera. Maybe it looks similar at a small size on a computer screen but blow it up a little and have a look.

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
IPhone XR
I'm another fence-sitter, mostly because I only recently upgraded to an XR.

Sadly new iPhone announcements from Apple just don't excite me any more. The changes seem to be incremental and the phrase "catching up with the Android phones" seems to be increasingly used in reviews. This isn't the Apple I remember where innovation was bursting out of their seams.

It could be argued that development of cameras has gone as fas it can on smartphones. I hope that's not the case. There's still of ton of work needed on the software side with organisation of photos on our phones still a woeful mess.

All that said I'm still a big fan of Apple and don't plan to 'switch platforms' any time soon I just hope they can excite me once again like they used to.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I'm another fence-sitter, mostly because I only recently upgraded to an XR.

Sadly new iPhone announcements from Apple just don't excite me any more. The changes seem to be incremental and the phrase "catching up with the Android phones" seems to be increasingly used in reviews. This isn't the Apple I remember where innovation was bursting out of their seams.

It could be argued that development of cameras has gone as fas it can on smartphones. I hope that's not the case. There's still of ton of work needed on the software side with organisation of photos on our phones still a woeful mess.

All that said I'm still a big fan of Apple and don't plan to 'switch platforms' any time soon I just hope they can excite me once again like they used to.
Well, I think too many phones are overhyped and don’t actually live up to their hype. The Huawei P20 was supposed to be TONS better than my iPhone 7+ and most websites put it up above much later iPhones and in my book it fell well short - actually totally disappointing. I was prepared to go all out for an Android and this experience taught me that reviewers, firstly, don’t really do a comprehensive comparative test and secondly, want to believe that Android phones are better but in fact I think they are all about the same and the iPhone wins for me because of the great accessories that get made for it and the superior software. I don’t believe Apple has fallen behind and I don’t think it’s particularly ahead if you are looking just at the cameras.

It really irks me that the price is so much higher and the new subscription Apple care plan is well irritating because I won’t go with it but I had two devices which gave me problems just after the first year warranty expired and that’s disgraceful for such an expensive device. However, I have resigned myself to this. Nothing is better in my book so Apple win.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Agree!!! :(

dscheff

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Jeffrey
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I updated my 8+ to IOS 13 last night. It seems to have breathed new life into this handy little gadget. I may well just sit out this pseudo-upgrade and wait for something more substantial next go around. It's nice being out of contract with my provider. They are sending me come hither emails ;) :p

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I updated my 8+ to IOS 13 last night. It seems to have breathed new life into this handy little gadget. I may well just sit out this pseudo-upgrade and wait for something more substantial next go around. It's nice being out of contract with my provider. They are sending me come hither emails ;) :p
I’m nervous to update my 7+ while I’m on the road.... :grimacing:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’ve been studying the reviews. They are somewhat informative but too often I find they don’t tell me what I want to know. I’ll have to study a lot more to pick up tidbits of info here and there.
I haven’t seen anything about improved RAW file quality. Or anything about RAW files at all. I think a close look at RAW images from different cameras would tell the real story of image quality as compared to tricky software enhancements.
The photo comparisons look like photos an average user would make, which is a reasonable way to make a comparison that is meaningful to most people. What about photos photographers are likely to make that tend to push the hardware a little harder.
Any info about reduced lens flare? How about chromatic aberrations, lens distortions, etc?
How about using that tricky software to eliminate blown-out highlights, and preserve highlight detail in regular non-HDR photos. This would require a better matrix metering system that can see smaller areas of overexposure.
These are things that would help every user improve the image quality of their everyday photos.
How about eliminating the stutter-gaps in long exposure photos.
How about adding a built-in ND filter to allow longer shutter speeds to get more realistic motion in videos.

Do the new phones depart from the Lightning jack in favour of USB-C? That is something that was rumoured in the leaks but I have heard nothing about it since.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Do the new phones depart from the Lightning jack in favour of USB-C?
Still a Lightning jack on the phone. The new charger that comes with it has USB-C out and a USB-C-to-Lightning cable.

The only comment I've seen about raw files so far is here:

where he says that the new sensor will produce less noisy raw files. (He previously complained about the XS in that regard.)

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Still a Lightning jack on the phone. The new charger that comes with it has USB-C out and a USB-C-to-Lightning cable.

The only comment I've seen about raw files so far is here:

where he says that the new sensor will produce less noisy raw files. (He previously complained about the XS in that regard.)
In an exchange with the developer of NightCap Pro he said the X phones were about 4x better than the 8 in low light long exposures, especially star mode.