• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Would you Upgrade for new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 pro or iPhone 11pro Max

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
While near Montreal I had a chance to drop into an actual real live Apple Store to see the new iPhone 11 lineup. Visiting the Apple Store is exciting if you live in an Apple Store deprived area.
I think if I make the leap it will be for the Pro Max.

But I’ve been thinking.... the main features I want are the improved low light capability, the 1 second exposure time. The ultra wide lens is nice, too, and the brighter screen is bound to improve daylight visibility while composing photos. The extra battery life is impressive, too.
If the phone was my only camera the decision would be obvious. But those are features I already have on other cameras so it would just be for my phone to play catch up with my other cameras. And let’s face it, the iPhone’s tiny sensor is never going to match the low light capability of my full frame camera so why go there.

Since those are things that interest me I am already making photos that use those features on my other cameras so the new phone would allow me to also make photos I could post on MobiTog while I’m at it. However, that’s a lot of money if my only incentive is to post low light pictures on MobiTog, and really, I’m still quite happy with my 8 Plus for most subjects.

If you are into doing audio work on your iPad or iPhone you realize that the Lightning port is a bottleneck when it comes to recording stereo or multitrack audio. If Apple changed to the USB-C plug instead, as it is rumoured they eventually will, that would open up the range of options and simplify things for audio interface manufacturers in having to deal with only one type of connection.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
While near Montreal I had a chance to drop into an actual real live Apple Store to see the new iPhone 11 lineup. Visiting the Apple Store is exciting if you live in an Apple Store deprived area.

But I’ve been thinking.... the main features I want are the improved low light capability, the 1 second exposure time. The ultra wide lens is nice, too, and the brighter screen is bound to improve daylight visibility while composing photos. The extra battery life is impressive, too.
If the phone was my only camera the decision would be obvious. But those are features I already have on other cameras so it would just be for my phone to play catch up with my other cameras. And let’s face it, the iPhone’s tiny sensor is never going to match the low light capability of my full frame camera so why go there.

Since those are things that interest me I am already making photos that use those features on my other cameras so the new phone would allow me to also make photos I could post on MobiTog while I’m at it. However, that’s a lot of money if my only incentive is to post low light pictures on MobiTog, and really, I’m still quite happy with my 8 Plus for most subjects.

If you are into doing audio work on your iPad or iPhone you realize that the Lightning port is a bottleneck when it comes to recording stereo or multitrack audio. If Apple changed to the USB-C plug instead, as it is rumoured they eventually will, that would open up the range of options and simplify things for audio interface manufacturers in having to deal with only one type of connection.
I read yesterday that the ultrawide has fixed focus -- maybe not a problem since it's so wide probably nearly everything is in focus anyway. And it also doesn't shoot raw. No official info on why, but one commenter suggested it may be that the ultrawide has severe complex distortion that's being corrected in software for JPGs but would be very difficult to deal with in raw.

EDIT: Also no Night Mode or optical stabilization on the ultrawide.

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I read yesterday that the ultrawide has fixed focus -- maybe not a problem since it's so wide probably nearly everything is in focus anyway. And it also doesn't shoot raw. No official info on why, but one commenter suggested it may be that the ultrawide has severe complex distortion that's being corrected in software for JPGs but would be very difficult to deal with in raw.

EDIT: Also no Night Mode or optical stabilization on the ultrawide.
Useful info, thank you!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

It’s early days yet, but low light definitely seems better. Of course, it’s difficult to show here because resolution is reduced. Also, when it is lowlight, it comes up with an exposure option. You can choose from Off to 3 sec max using a slider. It makes a choice for you if you don’t choose one yourself.

C2B6413D-63E4-41A0-8AC4-A0F9A7A39FB0.jpeg

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
It’s early days yet, but low light definitely seems better. Of course, it’s difficult to show here because resolution is reduced. Also, when it is lowlight, it comes up with an exposure option. You can choose from Off to 3 sec max using a slider. It makes a choice for you if you don’t choose one yourself.

View attachment 149891
Try some night photos. I was doing some photos of the night sky, astrophotography, the Milky Way was very clear that night standing at the end of my driveway by the road. On my 8 Plus with NightCap Pro I got more noise than stars. My full-frame photos came out wonderfully clear. Right around 25 seconds. 17mm f2.8, ISO 2500.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Try some night photos. I was doing some photos of the night sky, astrophotography, the Milky Way was very clear that night standing at the end of my driveway by the road. On my 8 Plus with NightCap Pro I got more noise than stars. My full-frame photos came out wonderfully clear. Right around 25 seconds. 17mm f2.8, ISO 2500.
It’s almost imposssible to get good night photos in the UK partly because it’s often overcast but mostly because there is just to much light pollution. You would have to go to some really remote area.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
It’s almost imposssible to get good night photos in the UK partly because it’s often overcast but mostly because there is just to much light pollution. You would have to go to some really remote area.
Well I know that is true for any built up area with street lights, etc. Where I live it is dark enough to match the nearby Dark Skies Preserve in Fundy National Park.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
It seems that the new iPads have a USB-C connection instead of the Lightning jack but the iPhone 11 still has the Lightning jack.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
WHY would they do that?!?! I thought the lightening Jack was the new standard? :angry:
Yes, an Apple standard. Works great so far.
However, the iPad is Apple’s music platform and it requires interacting with several external devices. USB-C is becoming a universal standard and it makes it easier to find external devices you can use because USB-C is more widely available.

davideroccato

MobiAddict
Real Name
Davide Roccato
Device
iPhone Xs Max
I'm still trying to resist at buying the 11 Pro Max. Here is at 1289€ for the cheapest one!

I'm happy with the XS Max so far. In fact, I have to say it's the best iPhone I have ever used. And I've bought a lot of them since the 3G. But I really love this one in particular.

But the tentation is always very high! :whistle: And usually the S version (next year) is always the best one of the two because they don't change the chassis and just improve the internal features and the cameras as well.

Anyway, I'll see.

Let me check the bank account. What? o_O bad, really bad!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I upgraded to iOS 13.1.2 yesterday and so far so good, except it seems the battery life is horrible now. Anyone else experience this?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I upgraded to iOS 13.1.2 yesterday and so far so good, except it seems the battery life is horrible now. Anyone else experience this?
I haven't noticed it. Do you have automatic downloads turned on for app updates and things? If so, there's probably been a bunch of that going on for the first day or so.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I haven't noticed it. Do you have automatic downloads turned on for app updates and things? If so, there's probably been a bunch of that going on for the first day or so.
I do.... hopefully the battery life will improve, but so far it’s really bad.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I’ve been on the iPhone for 30 minutes, just checking/responding to emails, and it’s gone from 100% to 86%. UGH.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Take a look at Battery in Settings, at the "Battery Usage by App" to see if there's an app that's binging.
Nothing jumps out.... they’re all on the low side.... and now I’m at 81% (I can almost watch it go down!)

3C9EE13D-C7DF-476D-8E40-A835CBE364B1.png