APPstract YES! IT’S BACK! APPStract #45 Theme from fairy story or fantasy

Nine ladies dancing

2E0D2E08-825F-4A3F-ABD8-389452B81549.jpeg

fotoda Union SnapSeed

Sometimes I wish these threads would go in forever. I love the ways the conversations and the images interweave. And for me this kind of theme invites abstracts that tell a story on a number of levels.

So HMs first for conversational prowess:

sinnerjohn, who didn’t post any images (on account of suddenly remembering that he doesn’t *do* abstract), but warmed up the thread with some pithy observations about the abstract-ness of the notion of ‘abstract’ particularly when considered in relation to the ambivalent status of the notion of ‘appstract’.

And GroovyGouvy who also posted no images (despite having several perfect contenders in her 365), but helped out with an exposition of the fictional sub-genre of urban fantasy, language and culture.

The images were also pretty good :D HMs:

deepop David’s goosey goosey gander: Colours, shapes and content fit for a kids’ fairy story picture book

Starzee Star’s Red Riding Hood: The glint of that red, paused in the darkness of the forest - you just know it’s not going to end well

terse Ted’s midnight in Pearl alley: an urban fairytale: I don’t know how Ted manages to reinvent this alley as often and as perfectly as he does - but, wow. This one is like the preface of a very dark fairytale

JillyG Jilly three little pigs: another of Jilly’s unique ‘found object plus photograph’ pieces transforms a perfectly innocent husky into the big bad wolf — until you see the whimsical pigs, and then, well. Who knows, but the pigs look unconcerned

ImageArt Ann’s eerily beautiful and to me slightly menacing Angels of the white forest: that thing Ann does with half realist and half uber abstract (as in VectorQ). And the simple palette, which you’d think should be subdued, but isn’t.

RoseCat Cat’s cyber goth undead (this is what happens when we send you on sabbatical???) Into the woods. I’ve looked and looked and I still don’t know if I think the figure is threatening or frightened.

Ryn S Ryn’s Future intellectual is the no competition aww factor winner. The little cutie even has the little ringlet behind her ear

Winners: two standouts for me:

Second: Kevin Barrett Kevin’s A cat and a cabbage: wonderfully inventive (cabbage turns up fairly regularly in abstracts- but not like that)

81DFC0A0-B499-4EFB-B340-210EA382F6B1.jpeg

First: juryjone Jerry’s The kittens lost their mittens - clever, dry, understated — plus Jerry’s trademark immaculate masking.

C5F67503-9885-4427-8B68-396B35B3B451.jpeg

And because I’ve been composite-ing all day, here’s a composite (in which you can see that Star and I really earned the most images posted distinction, but *cough* mainly me)

EEC1C57F-E7BB-4205-9AEF-B7D52AB4C924.jpeg

Fine job of judging, Jen! There was an abundance of great images!

Congrats Jerry and everyone.

juryjone Jerry what do you have for us in the way of a theme?
Wow. I certainly was not expecting this. So many talented people and there’s my little joke.

As a theme, how about something on my mind right now: re-emergence. Not necessarily as grand as a phoenix rising from the ashes, but anything we are seeing with new eyes as we come (too slowly) out from under COVID-19.

Wow. I certainly was not expecting this. So many talented people and there’s my little joke.

As a theme, how about something on my mind right now: re-emergence. Not necessarily as grand as a phoenix rising from the ashes, but anything we are seeing with new eyes as we come (too slowly) out from under COVID-19.
That's a beauty, Jerry. Food for thought and some.

I LOVE IT!!!!! Perfect, uplifting, just what we need.

And because I’ve been composite-ing all day, here’s a composite (in which you can see that Star and I really earned the most images posted distinction, but *cough* mainly me)
I love seeing them all together!
What app did you use? I have Diptic but I find it limiting.

Sometimes I wish these threads would go in forever. I love the ways the conversations and the images interweave. And for me this kind of theme invites abstracts that tell a story on a number of levels.

So HMs first for conversational prowess:

sinnerjohn, who didn’t post any images (on account of suddenly remembering that he doesn’t *do* abstract), but warmed up the thread with some pithy observations about the abstract-ness of the notion of ‘abstract’ particularly when considered in relation to the ambivalent status of the notion of ‘appstract’.

And GroovyGouvy who also posted no images (despite having several perfect contenders in her 365), but helped out with an exposition of the fictional sub-genre of urban fantasy, language and culture.

The images were also pretty good :D HMs:

deepop David’s goosey goosey gander: Colours, shapes and content fit for a kids’ fairy story picture book

Starzee Star’s Red Riding Hood: The glint of that red, paused in the darkness of the forest - you just know it’s not going to end well

terse Ted’s midnight in Pearl alley: an urban fairytale: I don’t know how Ted manages to reinvent this alley as often and as perfectly as he does - but, wow. This one is like the preface of a very dark fairytale

JillyG Jilly three little pigs: another of Jilly’s unique ‘found object plus photograph’ pieces transforms a perfectly innocent husky into the big bad wolf — until you see the whimsical pigs, and then, well. Who knows, but the pigs look unconcerned

ImageArt Ann’s eerily beautiful and to me slightly menacing Angels of the white forest: that thing Ann does with half realist and half uber abstract (as in VectorQ). And the simple palette, which you’d think should be subdued, but isn’t.

RoseCat Cat’s cyber goth undead (this is what happens when we send you on sabbatical???) Into the woods. I’ve looked and looked and I still don’t know if I think the figure is threatening or frightened.

Ryn S Ryn’s Future intellectual is the no competition aww factor winner. The little cutie even has the little ringlet behind her ear

Winners: two standouts for me:

Second: Kevin Barrett Kevin’s A cat and a cabbage: wonderfully inventive (cabbage turns up fairly regularly in abstracts- but not like that)

First: juryjone Jerry’s The kittens lost their mittens - clever, dry, understated — plus Jerry’s trademark immaculate masking.

Wonderful wrap-up! Congrats juryjone Jerry! Just love your piece. High five to Kevin Barrett and all the HMs (thanks for mine! ❤️)

I love seeing them all together!
What app did you use? I have Diptic but I find it limiting.
AutoCollage aka autopic- it’s good for quick & dirty composites: very basic but it can handle a lot of images, quickly run through different organisations and save at three different res. I find the border colours very bloody annoying bcs they’re all gradient and shiny :feet: except black & white. i made this and the last couple of IoTM thumbnails by saving each image to a same-coloured square in Union [still haven’t hit on the perfect colour to show off all images]

AutoCollage aka autopic- it’s good for quick & dirty composites: very basic but it can handle a lot of images, quickly run through different organisations and save at three different res. I find the border colours very bloody annoying bcs they’re all gradient and shiny :feet: except black & white. i made this and the last couple of IoTM thumbnails by saving each image to a same-coloured square in Union [still haven’t hit on the perfect colour to show off all images]
:notworthy: :mobibabe: That sounds like a lot of work!

Back
Top Bottom