Younger’s Project 365 - 2022

Wow, the difference is stark isn’t it? The top one might be more “arty” because of the blur, but I prefer the bottom one. At least if you start out with an image that is sharp you can do what you like with it. The other one, however, …
Agree!

149/365
So I took a photo with each phone last night of different lights and perspectives. Night photography is very challenging, particularly if you have a 3yo in the middle of a crowd :D I didn’t adjust any settings and didn’t edit the photos in any way. I know my Samsung is probably equipped with a very average camera but… I must say that I love my iPhone! Can’t wait for the 14 to be released so I can go and grab it. Happy to have a spare phone though, I use my Brazilian number for banking there and lots of other things and now I’ll be able to use my current iPhone to save a few hundred dollars when I buy the new version.

Android photo
View attachment 181071

iPhone version
View attachment 181072

Edit: But I was thinking here and “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”. So maybe you android peeps will prefer the top image. And maybe I prefer the bottom one because that’s what I’m used to seeing daily. Who knows. I saw a very interesting article a few weeks ago that might explain some of this (hopefully the link works)
Slightly unfair comparison, a sub £200 phone compared to an iPhone11 pro max! Of course the iPhone image is better, or else we'd all be buying cheap Samsungs for photography :lmao:
If anything I think the the iPhone image is a little blue, but I'm being picky ;)

To be fair you would need to compare the same image with one made with a Samsung Galaxy 22 Ultra or the Pixel 6 pro or similar.

Last edited:
Why do you think that is? I can’t imagine that the demand is less, so I guess developers are just not given the routines that enable creation of more robust apps.
The question has cropped up before but there are not enough Android Mobitoggers to have this discussion with.
If its not iPhone the discussion dry's up pretty quick I'm afraid, probably because the knowledge (and interest) just isn't there.

Statistically there are many more Android smartphones out there in the world, but a lot are made for poorer eastern countries where people just need a phone, so the price and quality isn't quite the same as iPhone.
Maybe the iPhone is seen as the premier brand for photography and the developers flock to Apple. I don't have the answers unfortunately, its a shame Hipstamatic and the rest of the exclusive apps never crossed the great divide.

The question has cropped up before but there are not enough Android Mobitoggers to have this discussion with.
If its not iPhone the discussion dry's up pretty quick I'm afraid, probably because the knowledge (and interest) just isn't there.

Statistically there are many more Android smartphones out there in the world, but a lot are made for poorer eastern countries where people just need a phone, so the price and quality isn't quite the same as iPhone.
Maybe the iPhone is seen as the premier brand for photography and the developers flock to Apple. I don't have the answers unfortunately, its a shame Hipstamatic and the rest of the exclusive apps never crossed the great divide.
Probably a number of reasons, but I'd guess at least two are:

* On iOS, the targets are very clear and limited in number. On Android, you have more variation in hardware and also (I think?) customized OS software. That'd make iOS easier to develop for when starting out and easier to maintain (because easily predictable upgrade dates, etc.).

* Apple makes good tools available for software developers (again, making it easier to get started and to maintain).

Also, I think I remember reading that iOS users buy more stuff per capita than Android users.

I wonder if a lot of developers start out with an iOS version because it's a quicker hit, plan to release an Android version once they get going, and then give up that idea as they grow and life gets complicated.

Probably a number of reasons, but I'd guess at least two are:

* On iOS, the targets are very clear and limited in number. On Android, you have more variation in hardware and also (I think?) customized OS software. That'd make iOS easier to develop for when starting out and easier to maintain (because easily predictable upgrade dates, etc.).

* Apple makes good tools available for software developers (again, making it easier to get started and to maintain).

Also, I think I remember reading that iOS users buy more stuff per capita than Android users.

I wonder if a lot of developers start out with an iOS version because it's a quicker hit, plan to release an Android version once they get going, and then give up that idea as they grow and life gets complicated.
All good points and yes there are various manufacturers versions of Android out there.

An Android user on IG asked me about Distressed FX. Turns out there used to be an Android version, but it was abandoned. Teresita, the developer of iColorama, has always resisted an Android version. I would too, given the hardware and software variations you outline.

Slightly unfair comparison, a sub £200 phone compared to an iPhone11 pro max! Of course the iPhone image is better, or else we'd all be buying cheap Samsungs for photography :lmao:
If anything I think the the iPhone image is a little blue, but I'm being picky ;)

To be fair you would need to compare the same image with one made with a Samsung Galaxy 22 Ultra or the Pixel 6 pro or similar.
That’s what I said, I just didn’t know the names of the good android ones to put in the sentence :lol:
Yes, the iPhone photo is very blue. I do like it though.

150/365
No edit
015EE3D0-0932-4B12-9F69-BCDDE29541CC.jpeg

Why do you think that is? I can’t imagine that the demand is less, so I guess developers are just not given the routines that enable creation of more robust apps.

Is there a thread or threads that discuss this here on Mobitog? I don’t want to hijack Juliana’s thread.
This thread covered it previously.
I think both the points made by John and Ted above were on that thread. There's also the business model...
What sinnerjohn said but also the business models of Apple Vs Google are quite different.

Apple make quality hardware and software that you pay for. Most/many developers produce quality software because they can earn a living doing so. iPhones and iOS are apple products. Apple monetizes the app store by taking a cut of each developers/app's income.

The Android OS is not Google's product. Android phones are not Google's product. Google's product is advertising, it monetizes the play store by inserting it's advertising infrastructure into the ecosystem. Google incentivises developers to make free software by providing a way for them to make a living using advertisng within thier apps. Because there is such a large 'skewed poor' userbase compared with iPhone users that use low end hardware, developers are less likely to make a living from selling software (and remember the variety of hardware making development harder as sinnerjohn pointed out) and more likely to buy into Googles advertising scheme.
TLDR...Why make good software when you can churn out the same 'ol same 'ol and still make a living because advertising? And why would an android user pay for something when it's free because advertising?

Last edited:
149/365
So I took a photo with each phone last night of different lights and perspectives. Night photography is very challenging, particularly if you have a 3yo in the middle of a crowd :D I didn’t adjust any settings and didn’t edit the photos in any way. I know my Samsung is probably equipped with a very average camera but… I must say that I love my iPhone! Can’t wait for the 14 to be released so I can go and grab it. Happy to have a spare phone though, I use my Brazilian number for banking there and lots of other things and now I’ll be able to use my current iPhone to save a few hundred dollars when I buy the new version.

Android photo
View attachment 181071

iPhone version
View attachment 181072

Edit: But I was thinking here and “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder”. So maybe you android peeps will prefer the top image. And maybe I prefer the bottom one because that’s what I’m used to seeing daily. Who knows. I saw a very interesting article a few weeks ago that might explain some of this (hopefully the link works)
It's the difference in detail and clarity that makes the iPhone one.
The Samsung is so poor you can't even see the boat out on the water in the pic. :rolleyes:

It's the difference in detail and clarity that makes the iPhone one.
The Samsung is so poor you can't even see the boat out on the water in the pic. :rolleyes:
Maybe I can improve it if I tinker with the settings but as I said before I know it’s a very poor quality camera in the Samsung. I still hoped for something a bit better though, considering all the hype about android cameras being awesome and all. Can’t really complain though.

152/365
I’ve been working a bit too much since the beginning of the year and sometimes I do get a bit lost with life in general :D so apologies if i haven’t been interacting as much.
I’ll post the photos backwards starting from today’s which actually day 157 but who needs to know? :D
No edit
6AF54CDC-3715-4709-9E0F-FED1319B0C87.jpeg

152/365
I’ve been working a bit too much since the beginning of the year and sometimes I do get a bit lost with life in general :D so apologies if i haven’t been interacting as much.
I’ll post the photos backwards starting from today’s which actually day 157 but who needs to know? :D
No edit
View attachment 181419
Magnificent :inlove::cool::thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom