Mobi366 Younger's project 366 - 2020

December 15
Aldiiiiiiiiii
Fine
View attachment 162799
Love that you have Aldi in Oz, do they have Kevin the carrot too? I'm always bemused about warmer climates at Christmas, do your Christmas cards still have snowy scenes? Even Mobitog seems to think you need snow :lol:
I guess it must be a Victorian thing anyway (the era not your Victoria) if Jesus was born in the Holy land I doubt whether it would be snowing, or am I wrong? Where the heck did the snow thing come from!!

Love that you have Aldi in Oz, do they have Kevin the carrot too? I'm always bemused about warmer climates at Christmas, do your Christmas cards still have snowy scenes? Even Mobitog seems to think you need snow :lol:
I guess it must be a Victorian thing anyway (the era not your Victoria) if Jesus was born in the Holy land I doubt whether it would be snowing, or am I wrong? Where the heck did the snow thing come from!!
Perhaps it's fake that Jesus was born in Palestine. Truth is he was born here where I live

December 17
I was so focused taking a photo of the flower that o didn’t even process my boss yelling at me from the bike on the road :lol: Plus, I had my earphones on
Fine
17AA88A5-8F09-48F1-9BA9-B6E87392C084.jpeg

I am pretty irreligious, but, have always wondered the same thing. Snow, sleigh bells, Santa, all very festive and fun but....

No idea who Kevin the carrot is, but I found a very funny Australian Christmas song that I’ll share that lyrics at the Christmas thread.

Yeah, if Jesus was to be be portrayed closer to reality he would be darker skinned, dark haired and the background would most likely include sand/mortar and possibly camels

But, I believe Christmas is actually only a pagan celebration (not that that worries me in any way, because I’m not religious nor pagan, since these issues do not really take any time of my busy days), and it’s all about the chubby guy with rosacea, who possibly drinks a lot of alcohol “to keep warm” since he lives in such a cold place and the little kids he exploits to do his work for him and feed his farm animals :lol: And since he’s the one worshipped at this time of the year, it only makes sense to have pole weather no matter where!

So yes, most Christmas cards have snowy scenes :lmao:

I am pretty irreligious, but, have always wondered the same thing. Snow, sleigh bells, Santa, all very festive and fun but....
Indeed (sorry if I'm offending the more religious) but I think the Romans decided to steal the pagan winter solstice and use it as the birth of Christ i.e. its all made up phooey.

We don’t have Kevin the carrot, but we do have a former prime minister called Kevin whose about as popular as a carrot on a kids plate. And we also have cheap lobster this Xmas courtesy of the Chinese government... and specials on wine, barley, coal, timber , meat

Indeed (sorry if I'm offending the more religious) but I think the Romans decided to steal the pagan winter solstice and use it as the birth of Christ i.e. its all made up phooey.
Yes, that's true. The Swedish Yule is older than our Christmas tradition. There also was a Spring festivity before the monk Ansgar came up her to the north and convinced the most powerful king that he should join his religion. Interesting thing is that our Midsommar never really has become a very religious feast. Still celebrated in a mostly pagan way, even though the church has tried its' best to turn it into a Christian thing.

About Santa I just read an interesting article in Swedish. Santa is an American invention based on the European tradition of Sinterklaas that they took over from the Dutch. This happened around the end of the 18th century. It was then Santa became a fat guy. It was some American guy, Thomas Nast, who 1866 decided that Santa is living on the North Pole. The origin of Santa Claus is an Italian saint with no similarities at all with the modern American santa that has conquered the western "civilisation". Here in the north our Gods Thor and Odin were flying over the sky at Yule, just like Santa and his raiders. But they didn't bring any presents. Instead it was to show people that they, the Gods, were more powerful than humans. Later on we've had the tradition with gnomes, that look a bit lika Santa, but much smaller, not fat, and not friendly at all.

So almost everything about Christmas is a reconstruction of older traditions stolen by the church and by the Americans :cool:

Last edited:
December 11
50% off?
Pixlr
View attachment 162666
Oh no, I have been thinking for several minutes (very exhausting :D ) but still I don't get it:confused:

I didn’t get it either . But I knew someone smarter than me would come along soon and all would be made clear :D

Edit: for instance, I've never heard of Kevin the Carrot. So I waited patiently for about ten minutes — and voilà ! A video appears in the Christmas Bling thread. And now I’m that much the wiser :thumbs:

I’ve heard so many different versions of Santa from so many different cultures....It’s not Santa that bugs me, it’s fun for kids. It’s that it’s touted to be a time of peace and it’s exactly the opposite of that. It brings so much stress and fighting for the best toys and greed and selfishness....

We have a nice quiet time with the food we’d normally eat and the beer we’d normally drink, listening to the music we like, perhaps with more gusto, shared with people we love. We celebrate that the days will get longer and soon the season will go away. This year we will probably zoom our toasts. It is, after all, a celebration of hope.

However, I do really like twinkly lights.

I’ve heard so many different versions of Santa from so many different cultures....It’s not Santa that bugs me, it’s fun for kids. It’s that it’s touted to be a time of peace and it’s exactly the opposite of that. It brings so much stress and fighting for the best toys and greed and selfishness....

We have a nice quiet time with the food we’d normally eat and the beer we’d normally drink, listening to the music we like, perhaps with more gusto, shared with people we love. We celebrate that the days will get longer and soon the season will go away. This year we will probably zoom our toasts. It is, after all, a celebration of hope.

However, I do really like twinkly lights.
Love the twinkly lights! And you’re right, it has been corrupted over time and become a source of stress and disagreements for many.

I’ve come to realise (many, many years ago) that love is really what matters in life, in any form. And I really enjoy having my loved ones around at this time, because unless they’re rostered on the night shift, everyone is off, at least for one day. And I know they’ll all be able to come and talk until our eyes start to close :) And eat good food and have no time to leave or worry about waking up early, unless they’re rostered on the day shift :lol:

My wife would have left a Susan-shaped hole in the door.
Well, I must say that I felt pretty proud of myself. Not because of the spider - this is a nice one, just has long legs! But... there was a cockroach waiting for me outside the bathroom door, and I went past it a few times (in the bathroom to wash hands and see spider, out to get phone, in to take photo patiently and out again!) and maintained my panic levels down down down!!! :lmao: Of course I didn’t touch the cockroach all day long, who was actually dying, and she was there until Mark got home in the evening

Well, I must say that I felt pretty proud of myself. Not because of the spider - this is a nice one, just has long legs! But... there was a cockroach waiting for me outside the bathroom door, and I went past it a few times (in the bathroom to wash hands and see spider, out to get phone, in to take photo patiently and out again!) and maintained my panic levels down down down!!! :lmao: Of course I didn’t touch the cockroach all day long, who was actually dying, and she was there until Mark got home in the evening
A long time ago one of our cats had captured a frog (!) and dragged the half-dead bloody frog lying outside our bedroom door. I got horrified when I got up from bed and found it. I don't remember if my DH was home or if I spent the whole day with the sad rests as my only company :eek:

Back
Top Bottom