72 Hours with the iPhone 5s

Kentaro

MobiPassionista
Real Name
Cian
Device
iPhone 11
I have been lucky enough to be able to upgrade to an iPhone 5s from a iPhone 5 this week. Partly I wanted more storage, having 16gb was increasingly limiting. I was micro managing the space, regularly having to delete content all the time, as much as a 64gb model would have been great, it was hard to justify the additional expense, so I went with the 32gb 5s.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071166.718741.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071189.758885.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071229.583085.jpg

Here are my initial thoughts on the new device, though I have only been using it for three days so far. I'll intersperse some photos taken with the 5s and default camera app.

Setting up the 5s was super simple, restoring from a iCloud backup, though it took a good while, it worked very well. My overall general impression of iOS 7 and the 5s are very positive, the performance improvements are noticeable, it just feels snappy. I am warming to iOS 7, iOS needed a new direction, 6 was getting somewhat stale and wow, iOS 7 is ambitious and I think it mostly works, though I am still getting to know it.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071307.854120.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071330.283726.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071348.290334.jpg

Now, any improvements in the camera were going to be a big draw for me, sticking with 8 MP and making more subtle changes, improving the sensor and aperture, seems a smart move. I wouldn't mind more megapixels in a way, makes cropping somewhat easier but the smaller file sizes are appreciated and I know just increasing the MP is no guarantee of a better camera anyway. The flash improvements aren't a big deal for me as I don't think I have ever used the flash anyway.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071409.778963.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071445.189051.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071489.402917.jpg

With the iPhone 5 I had no reason to use the builtin camera app, I took the odd panoramic, and the convenience of being be able to access it from the lock screen was about it. Now with iOS that's changed, by all accounts the panoramic feature is better than ever, and I actually have the space to take a few panos now.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381071526.369463.jpg

The burst feature, where it can take 10 frames a second upto 99 pictures, is very impressive and something I'll use on occasion, though I am wary of the storage implications, I can't see a way of just keeping a couple of pictures in a burst and discarding the rest.

What has impressed me the most so far is the auto focus seems better, it's speedy to focus and the resulting images seem sharper. The option of the square size is a nice option and the filters I haven't particularly looked at. Slight question mark on stability, the camera app crashed rebooting the device, which hopefully is a rarity.

I went to St Pancras station, as they had a living with nature art event, with the iPhone 5, I struggled to get anything that wasn't a bit blurred with the low lighting, I went back with the 5s and it was immediately apparent the 5s was more versatile,

So, not a proper review or anything but the first 72 hours with the 5s have been great and even though it's an incremental upgrade, after a few days use I am looking forward to continuing my journey with iPhoneography.

Sounds good. I just got the 5 as the upgrade to the 5s didn't seem worth it for the extra price. I am really happy with it.

iOS 7 is very different. Feels great but sometimes feel its a little too 'flat'. Like going from one extreme to the other.

Have fun with your new phone. Look forward to seeing more great photos.

@Kentaro - Superb mini review, thank you for sharing it with us... :notworthy:

And, coupled with some excellent nekkid iMagery it really does show the power of iPhoneography in the world of Mobile Photography... :D

Thanks for the great review, and your photos are wonderful! I'll be getting my 5S in December and can hardly wait!!! :D
@RoseCat - I cannot believe you are STILL holding out Cat... :barf:

Saints and patience springs to mind... :rog:

5s landed today.

fast!

iOS7 looks a bit different than in my 4S. So far my only problem is with Oggl. All except basic lens and films are missing.

5s landed today.

fast!

iOS7 looks a bit different than in my 4S. So far my only problem is with Oggl. All except basic lens and films are missing.

If you bought them through hipstamatic you should be able to re-import them very easily by going to "get new gear." it gives you the option to bring in all your lenses and films from hipstamatic. if they're solely on oggl, by re-signing back in they should come back. if not go to "get new gear" and hit "restore purchases" they will begin re-downloading. i've done this a couple times in the past, and at first it was shocking because of the years of collecting, but it's become fairly easy and nice to know they're there even if I don't use oggl/hipstamatic on my phone for a long length of time. Hope this helps.

Restoring the paks in Hipstamatic worked as usual, but cannot reimport anything into Oggl. Signing out and back in doesn't help. The only film/lens showing are the default ones.

This is a known issue to them, but it has been going on apparently for 2 weeks w/o a cure.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1381197073.847832.jpg

So sorry. I'm lucky, I guess, had no problems. But it's good that it's a known problem. Most likely it will be fixed very soon.

So sorry. I'm lucky, I guess, had no problems. But it's good that it's a known problem. Most likely it will be fixed very soon.

I had no problem with oggl on my 4s after upgrading to IOS7 so it is kinda weird and apparently random to see this happening with the 5S

Emailed the ever helpful Allan at Hipstamatic.

Here's the fix and it works. Yay!

-----

From time to time, after importing Hipstamatic gear into Oggl, you may find that the gear is there and works, but that the icons do not appear in the gear line-up.

This is an odd little hiccup in Oggl that we're still working on fixing. It's more cosmetic than anything. The gear should actually be there, but it just needs to be refreshed.

Please try this little trick...

Try tapping on that blank spot just above where you see the labels for the gear. So, for example, try tapping just above the Bettie XL label. It should take you to the Bettie gear screen.

Then tap the circular icon at the top. It will likely show you a message that says, "You already have this gear installed". Just tap to clear that message and then tap the circular icon again.

That *should* refresh that item completely for you, and make it available to use.

Back
Top Bottom