A Descent Into the Maelstrom

Well that's the whole grey area that fascinates me and I had to explore my own thoughts on it quite deeply the other day to answer some questions for the same mag that ran my Red story, who have now decided to do a story ON me about Insta-art and the smartphone art revolution being fomented in millions of sweaty palms and jabbing fingers all over the world. I think it's Warholian ... in the future we'll all be famous for 15 seconds, the length of an Instagram video. I do think there are ramifications for art ... at the very least it has given everyone with enough disposable income to afford a decent smartphone the possibility of creating beautiful and strange images even if they can't draw a line or never opened a paint set. So it certainly has raised the overall level of aesthetic awareness and eye for imagery I believe. Does that make it art? Does a soup can make art? It's all to do with the thought behind things and the talent and the feelings something elicits. Ironic if the very tools that are dumbing us down and shortening our attention spans usher in a more refined and beauty-conscious world. Or does the mass promulgation of some simalacrum of art aided by algorithms and chips have the opposite effect, leading to a declining appreciation for art in general through overexposure and a hipstagram overdose? I am taking the positive view that it's essentially a good thing, unless you are one of the lemmings who dies in the quest for the perfect selfie. Stick to planking. And to further my view that art is also determined by the level of pretentiousness and posing in the title and blurb, I give you the 'Arty Bollocks Generator'. Hilarious.

My work, for instance, explores the relationship between new class identities and unwanted gifts. With influences as diverse as Kafka and Joni Mitchell, new synergies are distilled from both opaque and transparent dialogues. Ever since I was a postgraduate I have been fascinated by the essential unreality of relationships. What starts out as contemplation soon becomes debased into a hegemony of power, leaving only a sense of what could have been and the chance of a new order. As subtle replicas become reconfigured through frantic and diverse practice, the viewer is left with a testament to the inaccuracies of our existence.

Rosecat, you might need to acquire an official artist's license. Requirements are
  • At least occassionally produce works of art, or talk about it a lot
    • Study learned treatises on 'real artists', their qualities, achievements, practices and heroic struggles, for the purpose of understanding how hopelessly short of their standards you fall.
    • Constantly question, to yourself and others, whether you and your work are good enough to ever be a proper artist.
    • Mutter under your breath at least daily that someone will expose you soon.
    • Cultivate brow-furrowing, chin-rubbing and other anxious mannerisms appropriate for artistic practice.

CHAI2013.JPG
  • A Portrait of the Insta-Artist as Old Fraud. Cue chin-stroking ....

Well that's the whole grey area that fascinates me and I had to explore my own thoughts on it quite deeply the other day to answer some questions for the same mag that ran my Red story, who have now decided to do a story ON me about Insta-art and the smartphone art revolution being fomented in millions of sweaty palms and jabbing fingers all over the world. I think it's Warholian ... in the future we'll all be famous for 15 seconds, the length of an Instagram video. I do think there are ramifications for art ... at the very least it has given everyone with enough disposable income to afford a decent smartphone the possibility of creating beautiful and strange images even if they can't draw a line or never opened a paint set. So it certainly has raised the overall level of aesthetic awareness and eye for imagery I believe. Does that make it art? Does a soup can make art? It's all to do with the thought behind things and the talent and the feelings something elicits. Ironic if the very tools that are dumbing us down and shortening our attention spans usher in a more refined and beauty-conscious world. Or does the mass promulgation of some simalacrum of art aided by algorithms and chips have the opposite effect, leading to a declining appreciation for art in general through overexposure and a hipstagram overdose? I am taking the positive view that it's essentially a good thing, unless you are one of the lemmings who dies in the quest for the perfect selfie. Stick to planking. And to further my view that art is also determined by the level of pretentiousness and posing in the title and blurb, I give you the 'Arty Bollocks Generator'. Hilarious.

My work, for instance, explores the relationship between new class identities and unwanted gifts. With influences as diverse as Kafka and Joni Mitchell, new synergies are distilled from both opaque and transparent dialogues. Ever since I was a postgraduate I have been fascinated by the essential unreality of relationships. What starts out as contemplation soon becomes debased into a hegemony of power, leaving only a sense of what could have been and the chance of a new order. As subtle replicas become reconfigured through frantic and diverse practice, the viewer is left with a testament to the inaccuracies of our existence.

Rosecat, you might need to acquire an official artist's license. Requirements are
    • Study learned treatises on 'real artists', their qualities, achievements, practices and heroic struggles, for the purpose of understanding how hopelessly short of their standards you fall.
    • Constantly question, to yourself and others, whether you and your work are good enough to ever be a proper artist.
    • Cultivate brow-furrowing, chin-rubbing and other anxious mannerisms appropriate for artistic practice.

View attachment 71858
(((waves hello)))
[emoji23]
Wonderful synopsis.... and I shall work on some anxious mannerisms.

View attachment 71858
Food for thought, for sure. I'm like Catherine in that this whole art photography genre (what I refer to it as) is a little beyond my realm of comprehension. It has always been intriguing to me. Perhaps I shall further explore it in the new year (she says with furrowed brow while rubbing her chin)!!

I guess it's my own "weird thing"....

I think of an artist as someone who can draw, paint, sculpt... do just about anything they lay their hand to. And they come up with really interesting, creative, out-of-the-box ideas and visions, and then bring them to life.

Me being "artistic", I think I have an eye for things artsy.... I can edit an image to create a mood or feel.... I'm good at decorating and using colors... But creating unique/conceptual ideas, collage work, drawing/painting, doesn't come easy - AT ALL - and (in my mind) stuff like that just flows out of an artist.

Ditto, in spades

No one has mentioned whether or not iDevising can be pursued simply for the pleasure of the activity, regardless of how the result is labeled

No one has mentioned whether or not iDevising can be pursued simply for the pleasure of the activity, regardless of how the result is labeled
Very good point.... I suppose many of us (me) would actually fall into this *category*.

View attachment 71858

I'm so glad you post the occasional pic-with-you-in-it Jason -- for all the allnight manic frenetic repetitive cycling and re-cycling of images thru increasingly whack-ey apps, and the constant production of ever-wilder & ever-wonderful-er 'insta-art' , you look so reassuringly normal :D

Back
Top Bottom