Are you a 'Hunter' or 'Gatherer'?

Smooth

MobiLurver
MobiStaff
Real Name
Matt
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Following on from AlyZens excellent Apps thread, where she made an interesting observation that some iPhoneographers are 'Hunters' those who go out looking for pictures and where some are 'Gatherers' collecting images to create artwork with, where do you see yourself primarily?

I myself come from a photography background - I see myself as someone who uses iPhoneography to capture moments and tell stories. I guess I use the same disciplines that I would use with my DSLR in terms of composition, exposure and focus. I seriously admire and often admire those who create beautiful art with their iPhoneography - using multiple apps to create work with great layer and depth. I myself was never much good at art - I didn't have the overall vision - but find myself able to construct a shot in photography.

I am aware that lots of people will find themselves somewhere inbetween the two, or perhaps something different entirely. Would be very interested to hear your thoughts...

I'm trigger happy with my iPhone, so if an opp presents itself I just shoot, then think about it later. I find that if I have to think "hmmm what camera shall I use?" the opp slips away, or I might find myself using the wrong camera and then have no original, unedited image to work from. You need lightning reflexes to make snap decisions like that; I admire those of you who can do this.

"Hunters" are those who have their replacement camera App at the ready and are happy to shoot with it; "Gatherers" are those who shoot first, and then bring it home to eat, I mean, edit, later. :D I'm artistic, but I'm no artist - I could never draw to save my life. The reason iPhoneography resonates so well with me is that I know I can turn an image into something out of the ordinary, just by manipulating pixels. I don't have a photography background (it's Music, actually), but I do have a PHD in photography - as in "Press Here, Dummy"! ;)

I do wish great Apps like Hipstamatic would have a facility for users to use images from their camera roll, rather than just as a replacement camera. I have several other Apps in my "Camera Only" folder, as in "these don't work with camera roll images", which is a shame, really.

Agreed on all counts Aly....

I do wish Hipsta had a post process option... or even just to be able to change the film or lens after the fact...

I do enjoy the 'shake to randomize' though - it surprises me every time!

Hmmm... interesting perspective on iPhoneography developing here... :sneaky:

Me? I guess I'm a HunGarer... :D

I always have my iPhone at the ready with it's native camera, on a jic basis, so this is the 'Hun' bit - and even then I still miss those all important first time opportunities that invariably present when one least expects!

However, my current favourite app, as mentioned in AlyZen's Top Ten apps thread, is Hipstamatic... :inlove: ...and this brings out the Garer in me! I am still learning the, unexpected sometimes, results from the many and varied Lens/Fillum combinations, but even within my favourite app I am developing favourite combinations that suit my style. AlyZen is, of course, absolutely spot on in her diagnoses... you cannot possibly point and shoot with this, or any of the similar apps, it is more of a find a subject that will suit the app and its combinations type jobby...

Artist... me... you are joking me right... :lol: ...I'm almost as good with a camera as I am with musical instruments and associated vocal attributes... :cool:

I just tend to bash away with it, so what does that make me :eek: Oh, and I'm easily led with apps and the like by you lot :)

What I do find is, I don't use my DSLR as much which I actually find contrary to my beliefs as I love the post processing opportunities on the iphone and yet hate the actual quality of the photo's one (ie me), produces on them.

What is fantastic tho is when I look through the photo's on my phone, and I actually only have 400-500 or so they tell a story that progresses through the year or so I've had it. It's an interesting journey punctuated and make all the more poignant by the apparent seasons photographed. A lot of the photo's may not mean much to others or indeed tell much of a story, but to me they do, and I love that about the iPhone and it's ability and that's why I never delete the photo's I have on the phone.

**Sorry, rambling old post which is probably completely off topic! :D

Not at all off topic, Wibbly :). I too keep my photos on my iPhone camera roll, both processed and unedited images. When I scroll back through them, it's like going back thru Time. I can actually trace my iPhoneography history, from my very bad, cringeworthy 200 or so first attempts, to the present not-so-bad but still occasionally cringeworthy attempts :p. It's like a visual time capsule.

:lol: Good point Aly.... I wish I could do the same, but as I have used Camera+ since it first came out, I only keep the ones I copy across from its Lightbox to the main Photos area.

I still remember how excited I got when they released the easter egg that let you use one of the volume buttons to set the camera off.... Got removed in an update though :(

I still remember how excited I got when they released the easter egg that let you use one of the volume buttons to set the camera off.... Got removed in an update though :(

AND now it's coming back in iOS 5... :D ...roll on iPhone 5 and iPad 3... :cool:

I have come to the iPhone after enjoying photography with a DSLR where I shoot in raw come home and post process. I love Instagram because it replicates this approach but at speed. Shoot, apply a filter post and I love the instantaneousness of this. Hipstagram to me is the opposite, you have to think then shoot. I should like it as it is only like shooting in manual on a DSLR but up to now I am not so keen as it seems less fun than Instagram. Maybe it is becuase I am still thinking of iphoneography as fun photography and for more serious stuff I would use a DSLR and I need a mind set change to really regard iPhoneography as a very serious discipline in its own right. It is of course and I understand that but for now to me it is second to DSLR work so the fun comes from its of the moment instant sharing abilities.

So er gatherer I think...

Nothing at all wrong with that philosophy for your iPhoneography MrB... :thumbs:

Totally agree it has to be fun and there is nothing to say that serious iPhoneography cannot be fun too... it has to be or it ceases to be enjoyable and that is partly what drives our passion... :D

Each to their own sir and as long as you enjoy it, share it with us and participate in building our community, long may it continue... :cool:

I guess I am a Hunter Gatherer as I'm a little dizzy and go off at a tangent all too easily. I do love my DSLR and used to use it every day without fail. I guess most posts in this thread ring true for all of us, I used to get very frustrated when I was a boy as all my art looked like stick men or at least nothing like what i was trying to achieve and the ideas I had I just didn't have the abitity to create. With togging I can capture things of beauty just by motivating myself to walk out of my front door and wander, I can sometimes motivate to do this at home too :)

I am trying to love my iPhone camera too but I'm afraid I went app mad and have two folders of different cameras to choose from :shrug: I love some of the effects created with post processing in the iPhone apps and I may learn to love it in time. I should discipline myself to use just a couple of cameras but refer to point "off at a tangent" earlier, I love to experiment and even had a chance to use a Leica recently that took stunning quality photos (even in professional mode, fully automatic). Sometimes I think the quality of a DSLR just can't be beaten and I do love taking family photos so iPhone is for incoming calls on these days only :runaway: I'm rambling a little so :sorry: for that but I hope I got my thoughts across ;)

Even reading a thread like this means I have to do a number of important things right now and forget what I had planned a only few minutes ago. :spontaneous: Watch your pm box Mr Wibbly :lol:

Ahh I will just add that not being too attentative at school means I may have missed a little punctuation and paragraphs. Will add some here so you don't have to tell me so. Place them where needed

,.,,! ',.,,,

,,.?!?

:lmao:

Having recently experienced the great Mr Milton at work, I can vouch for the accuracy of every word of his above comments, with or without added punctuation, being totally factual and correct... :D

Oh, and I've corectid the speling for you Jon... :sneaky:

Back
Top Bottom