Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
Onsite
Project Page
Does anyone know what is going on here? I photographed a white surface, one was a lightbox for viewing slides and the other was a very even light source used for calibrating light meters. I tried incandescent, fluorescent and LED lights and got the same result every time.
IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3483.JPG

The last one is a closeup of an LED bulb in a lamp fixture.
The direction of the bars is always following the long dimension of the iPhone. The bars can be seen onscreen before making the photo. The orientation of the bars is not related to the lightbox/light source. Rotating the iPhone on the light source does not change the orientation of the bars.
I have occasionally seen faint bars onscreen before but I think mostly with video.

I don't get bars when I photograph my computer screen up close with a white page displayed.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I photographed a white surface, one was a lightbox for viewing slides and the other was a very even light source used for calibrating light meters. I tried incandescent, fluorescent and LED lights and got the same result every time.
View attachment 84643
View attachment 84644
View attachment 84645
The last one is a closeup of an LED bulb in a lamp fixture.
The direction of the bars is always following the long dimension of the iPhone. The bars can be seen onscreen before making the photo. The orientation of the bars is not related to the lightbox/light source. Rotating the iPhone on the light source does not change the orientation of the bars.
I have occasionally seen faint bars onscreen before but I think mostly with video.

I don't get bars when I photograph my computer screen up close with a white page displayed.
I've had similar results from my light box when I tried to photograph something on it sometime back. No idea.

I always imagined the iPhone screen was a continuous light source but perhaps it has a refresh rate like tv. In fact, in order to show motion effects and video it must have a refresh rate. The bars must be an interaction between the screen's refresh rate and the light source flicker frequency.

Back
Top Bottom