Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
Onsite
Project Page
Remember the advice from the old newspaper photographers? You take your 8x10 print and you stand it upside down about 20 feet away. If you can still tell what it is then you have a picture. Or put it facing a window so you see it with the light shining through the back, which makes it backwards. Same idea. The bottom line is that if your picture relies on deciphering fine details for it to make sense then maybe you don't have a picture.

I find my best compositions on the small screen are bold and simple. You take any of the standard compositional guidelines and make them more so. In your face. My more subtle compositions that rely on finer details on the big screen just don't stand up on the small screen. It has proven to be a good exercise in paying more attention to basic elements.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1368216498.833108.jpg

Love this picture, the tones in it and I like your composition!

Remember the advice from the old newspaper photographers? You take your 8x10 print and you stand it upside down about 20 feet away. If you can still tell what it is then you have a picture. Or put it facing a window so you see it with the light shining through the back, which makes it backwards. Same idea. The bottom line is that if your picture relies on deciphering fine details for it to make sense then maybe you don't have a picture.

I find my best compositions on the small screen are bold and simple. You take any of the standard compositional guidelines and make them more so. In your face. My more subtle compositions that rely on finer details on the big screen just don't stand up on the small screen. It has proven to be a good exercise in paying more attention to basic elements.

Hear, hear! Good advice, Brain.

Back
Top Bottom