DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY ART

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Hi good Mobipeeps, not sure where to put this thread, but "Technical" seems as good a place as any. I know many of you are itching to print out your awesome iPhone images, and ValeriGail and a few others have posted up threads about their techniques, and some of you are experimenting with different techniques and mediums. Well, I've been curating and compiling lots of stuff about digital photography art on my Pinterest board, and you're most welcome to follow me there. I love the idea of being able to put everything (well, almost everything) in one place, for ease of future reference.

Here is the link: http://pinterest.com/alyzenm/digital-photography-art/

If you look at the pins there and click on them further, you can tell quite quickly what I've been researching and am still researching: Sheer Heaven, InkAid, Golden Medium, Transparencies, Books on Image Transfer Techniques, Digital textures, Packing Tape Transfers, Vellum, caulking, Mod Podge, printing on Aluminium, printing on tissue paper, transferring images from baking parchment to polymer clay, Lazertran, Digital Ground, Bonny Lhotka's techniques, profiles of photographers using unusual techniques or print formats, etc etc etc. Not all of it relates directly to iPhoneography, some utilise Photoshop, some trend more towards crafts and scrapbooking or journaling, however I'm sure you'll be able to modify the techniques and ideas to suit your own style.

Have a look, and if you're already on Pinterest, do follow my board, and feel free to repin to your own boards. And if you're not on Pinterest, you can always look anyway, and copy any links you like to your iPhone or computer's Favourites to refer to later. Just thought I'd share my thought process with you all :).

Right now my favourite image transfer technique is Sheer Heaven, and if you watch Jessica Wesolek's YouTube video on my Pinterest board, you'll soon see why. It looks sooooo easy to do, and the results are instantly gratifying! You can transfer your wonderful iPhone images to almost any porous substrate you can think of - watercolour paper, fabric, wood, etc. The only problem is, it's expensive and hard to get outside the USA. So, those of you Mobipeeps lucky enough to live in the good old US of A, what are you waiting for?! Go fetch! :D

I think, instead of opening up new threads, I'll post up to this thread here any other interesting stuff related to digital photography art demands to be shouted out. And today, my dear Mobipeeps, that stuff is http://www.texturemate.com. I'll let Bill's site speak for itself, but suffice to say IT ROCKS and it's all copyright-free and FREE to download and use for commercial and non-commercial use. You can even download it straight to your iOS device camera roll as a high-res image. Nuff said!

Run, don't walk!! :D

I've been working with assorted transfer processes for a long time. This is a wonderful collection of resources. Huge thanks! I am reinspired!

Carolyn, what are your most successful transfer techniques? I've tried about half a dozen with varying levels of success. I feel like a Chemistry student these days...only when I was studying Chemistry in college my graphs always went the opposite direction from everyone else's :D! I'd love to keep testing out more processes, but it's a costly experiment.

Awesome!! As soon as I get back to the house I'm checking out your board! I hate looking at mobile Pinterest! Lol.

Having all the info in one place is invaluable. You have no idea! When I started, I searched and searched and it about drove me mad trying to find correct info. I finally gave up and started trial and erroring on my own.

Alyzen, here is what I use, depending on the surface:
Lazertran for Inkjet for a water slide decal to ahere to glass. in the past, I have used it for Ampersand Claybord. I don't like the plastic decal-ness of it. And there are the bubbles.
DASS film + DASS Supersauce for transfers to acrylic, including acrylic gesso and Clayboard. Also, used .for plastic, wood, metal, cloth, etc. Not perfect every time,
DASS + Purell for art paper. I am still working with an old box of DASS Acetate. Apparently the newer product works better with the Purell.
The Golden Digital Art Mediums are great.
I recently bought a transfer paper that was made for transfering printed images to wood blocks for carving, but I haven't tried that, yet. Think it will be like the baking parchment process.

I think the woman who created Sheer Heaven lives in Santa Fe, but the price has me pausing, still. I have printed on Lazertran Silk, and it was interesting, but not brilliant, on its own, and kept jamming in my Epson R2400.

Not totally on subject, but there is aniOS app, Camera Lucida, which I love for hand-tracing images directly onto surfaces. I have mentioned it on Mobitog previously. It works better than ArtoGraphs or traditional camera lucidas,

Bottom line, it is challenging. Friends who do transfers have learned to love the imperfections more than I do. Temperature and humidity are factors. With the Purell, I have the most success on cool, humid days in New Mexico, which is limiting, because it is usually very dry, here. Heat seems to fog the Purell transfers. Be careful not to touch the Purell with your skin — it seems to make it fail, probably because it liquefies the substance.

I do not like to be so brand dependent, but Bonny Lhotka's DASS products work, and her videos help. I trust the Golden Products, and am a loyal user of their paint, as well. The acrylic skin printing is something that friends do, but, again, I prefer printing directly to watercolor papers. Golden has plenty of image transfer videos, including the gel medium processes. I think Bonny consults for Golden. It's a very small world. I am hoping to do more experimenting with the Golden coatings, this winter. I want to play with some new papers. So many ideas, so little time.

I have watched endless YouTube videos of people producing lousy transfer prints, even total failures – it seems everyone has the same problem. Golden and DASS products increases the odds of a good transfer, significantly. None of it is inexpensive.

I probably haven't told you anything you don't already know.

I was using liquitex mediums to do my transfers, but bought golden this go round. I am impressed with the consistency of it. It's smoother. So far, I've only used it to apply like a glue and to add to paint, not as a transfer. That's tomorrow's agenda. :).

I'm interested in trying goldens polymer medium. I cut my gel medium with water, so am wondering if I can use this product and skip that step.

Well, I've tried almost every technique and substrate there is, and failed in varying degrees in every one but the last...and that's the tissue paper technique. This means using a repositionable adhesive on a carrier sheet of printer paper, upon which I press a piece of tissue paper the same size, and then printing directly to the tissue paper. Then I peel off the tissue, spray it with a workable fixative, then when that's dry I simply use Mod Podge to glue the printed tissue paper onto a canvas or canvas board. A few layers of varnish later, et voila! Instant art.

Folks, I'm updating my Pinterest Board for Digital Photography Art. This time I've found loads of links to sites where you can sell your iMages. This goes beyond the household names like Red Bubble, Zazzle, Fine Art America. There are some hidden gems, such as links to industry heavyweights, so please do bookmark my Pinterest board "Digital Photography Art", or better still, click on the Follow button to keep updated.

http://pinterest.com/alyzenm/digital-photography-art/

That sounds wonderful AlyZen! :thumbs:

For those of us not on Pinterest - :whistle: - would you mind posting up the links here too? :D

Hey guys and gals, I've been reading Artsy Shark's nuggets of insider info on her website http://www.artsyshark.com. And reading, and reading and reading. And reading. In fact, I'm spending this entire weekend just perusing through all the articles and blogs and links there, and making notes. There's just so much info and knowledge to be gained from this wonderful site. I thought I'd better share it with you all, cos I guarantee that if you only take away and put into practice even 10% of what you'll learn there, you'll be upping the ante on your game.

Remember, you saw it here first!
http://www.artsyshark.com

I've contacted several companies myself about getting my images onto their pages. Although it's early days yet, I've already gotten one positive response and that company now wants me to send them more of my images to be considered. I'm chuffed, as of the variety of images I initially emailed them, it's my Madhatter's Teaparty teacup images that they're interested in. Yay! :)

Oh, and for those of you who already have a website up and running, check out ArtsyShark's call for submissions to be featured and promoted on her website. ArtsyShark gets over 25000 unique visitors to her site each month, and if you are chosen as a featured artist, not only will you get heaps of views and new fans, who knows you might even get picked up by someone in the Arts industry? If chosen, your art gets featured as a top biller for two days, and then becomes a permanent fixture on the website. 3 caveats - 1) you MUST have a website ready; 2) it will cost you $15 and 3) submissions must be in by 8th May 2013. Run, don't walk!!

Artists are juried through submission of their website link(s), not through uploaded images.

Submissions become part of a competitive jury process. Not every artist will be accepted. Jury fee is $15.00.

Here's the link: http://www.artsyshark.com/become-a-featured-artist/

Back
Top Bottom