Dreaded Sunlight

klassklown0

MobiLurver
I've been taking iPhone pics for roughly six months. I don't have all the neat gadgets that most of you awesome mobitogers have, yet. How does one accomplish taking pictures in the bright sun? I can't see half the time, well more, in bright conditions. Would wearing a baseball cap help while aligning the iPhone under the bill?

I would think the baseball cap would help. You could also try holding an umbrella, although that would mean you'd only have one hand to take the picture. Get one of those hats with the umbrella attached to the top of it!!

Maybe we should create a MobiHat to sell online:

umbrellahat.jpg

Yanno I thought about an umbrella hat. Great minds think alike! I agree with the baseball cap. Was going to try that next time Cat.

LOL ! thats scary! firstly I only have an ipod but its the same rule of thumb ,you have to work your light ,I have found early morning and evening cool photo moments and utilizing ur surroundings ,say taking a pic whilst u are in the shade and your view point being in the light ! not shooting into the sun unless u want a flare ! I take oodles of pics to get the right one ,and my ipod is not the best but I still find the right light eventually! now back to serious , Where do I buy the hat lol !

vixenscry said:
LOL ! thats scary! firstly I only have an ipod but its the same rule of thumb ,you have to work your light ,I have found early morning and evening cool photo moments and utilizing ur surroundings ,say taking a pic whilst u are in the shade and your view point being in the light ! not shooting into the sun unless u want a flare ! I take oodles of pics to get the right one ,and my ipod is not the best but I still find the right light eventually! now back to serious , Where do I buy the hat lol !

I went and took pics two days this past week. I took soooo many shots of the same thing. I would bet I deleted over 200 yesterday because of glare and taking a shot of I dunno what because I couldn't see what I wanted to saw.

klassklown0 said:
I've been taking iPhone pics for roughly six months. I don't have all the neat gadgets that most of you awesome mobitogers have, yet. How does one accomplish taking pictures in the bright sun? I can't see half the time, well more, in bright conditions. Would wearing a baseball cap help while aligning the iPhone under the bill?

Love the MobiHat umbrella idea - wonder if they come in corporate colours... :lmao:

It is a real problem, especially for those of you in much sunnier climes than we don't have here... :(

A baseball cap is a bit of help, as will be sunglasses if you have to be out in the sun shooting... ;)

There is also a new iPhone case on the market that I think Richard started a thread about (and even ordered one if I remember rightly) that has a thin flippable rear screen cover to help keep bright light off of it - might be worth a look if you have serious problems?

It also has a key ring hole so you could fit a wrist strap for extra security against dropping or muggers (which is why I love my Hipstamatic 100 case... :inlove: )... :D

From MiPhone4S via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

It's the iPhone camera that needs shading, not the iPhoneographer ;-). I agree with Bob Lindell, a little hood for the lens is what's required when shooting in bright sunlight. Wearing a hat is always a good idea for your own health. :)

Make sure you're not aiming into the sunlight, but rather facing away from it. Try to have the sun on your back. It's tricky then, because you'll likely be casting your own shadow across your subject, if it's a close-up. You may have to move yourself sideways out of the way.

I was reading in today's paper about the photographer who shot that fight scene in the rain, between Keanu Reeves' and Hugo Weaving's characters in The Matrix. No fancy FX equipment was used, the actors really did get very wet, but the camera stayed dry beneath a protective hood.

We're just heading into summer now here in the Land Down Under, and already it's hitting the mid-30s most days. Too hot! I was taking photos of the Perth Christmas Pageant this morning at 9:30am, and my iPhone was blazing hot from the heat and then the brightness decided to go auto-dim all of a sudden, and my whole screen went dark! For a minute I really thought my iPhone had given up the ghost. :rolleyes: Last year, it was so hot again, that some days my iPhone 3 refused to open its camera aperture. Too much sun + too much heat = not good for iPhone!

AlyZen Moonshadow said:
We're just heading into summer now here in the Land Down Under, and already it's hitting the mid-30s most days. Too hot! I was taking photos of the Perth Christmas Pageant this morning at 9:30am, and my iPhone was blazing hot from the heat and then the brightness decided to go auto-dim all of a sudden, and my whole screen went dark! For a minute I really thought my iPhone had given up the ghost. :rolleyes: Last year, it was so hot again, that some days my iPhone 3 refused to open its camera aperture. Too much sun + too much heat = not good for iPhone!

That's happened to me too!

AlyZen Moonshadow said:

Eek AlyZen. That isn't good.

Back
Top Bottom