MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
I'm not super techie, but neither am I a tech-reject. ;)

But I just don't understand what EXIF data is; what is the importance; am I screwed if my photos don't have it?

I'm sure I could Google this query but I'd rather ask it here! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

Hi Catherine, Exif data is basically information that is attached to your image like, aperture, ISO, shutter speed, location etc. You can view Exif data in ProCamera to see what I'm talking about. Just take a photo in ProCamera and check it out. Just hit the i symbol in pic view mode, see pic. Pretty boring really.
Cheers Aaron

image-3029768108.png

Aaron's absolutely correct. It's one of the godsends of digital photography. It saves you having to laboriously scrawl down all your exposure settings in a scruffy notebook. :lol:

I wish photography apps updated the exif data with what you've done (or at least the fact you've processed the photo with that app). I can never remember what I've used to process some photos (unless I use PSexpress which wipes the Exif data annoyingly).

Which Exif reader do you use. I want to be able to see file size/resolution and Exif/GPS together ideally (currently use Photosize for size/resolution info).

nwalch said:
I wish photography apps updated the exif data with what you've done (or at least the fact you've processed the photo with that app). I can never remember what I've used to process some photos (unless I use PSexpress which wipes the Exif data annoyingly).

Which Exif reader do you use. I want to be able to see file size/resolution and Exif/GPS together ideally (currently use Photosize for size/resolution info).

I don't normally bother with EXIF but another brilliance of Hipstamatic is that it does remind you what combination you have used and whether/what Flash was deployed for each Hipsta'd iMage... :)

As long as you view the iMages in Hipstamatic itself of course... :D

From MiPhone4S via the awesome & FREE MobiTog App... :D

I'm not super techie, but neither am I a tech-reject. ;)

But I just don't understand what EXIF data is; what is the importance; am I screwed if my photos don't have it?

I'm sure I could Google this query but I'd rather ask it here! :)

Catherine -

In addition to storing camera information and location information (when the camera can collect it), EXIF data also often contains software information to indicate what you used to edit (or even resize) an image. For example, Hipstamatic, Photogene2 and several other iOS apps add entries, and Photoshop adds a number of entries, including version number. Also, with Nikons and Canons, you can actually have the camera insert watermarks and copyright information.

There are a couple of really good programs that allow you to view full EXIF data - I'll see if I can track one down for you. Apps on the iPhone only show a very limited subset. There can literally be pages (multiple 8.5x11 pages) of data collected. Also included is a thumbnail version of the image.

I can't speak to how useful it is (I don't know anyone who really uses it actively).

Hope that helps.

Bob

Catherine -

In addition to storing camera information and location information (when the camera can collect it), EXIF data also often contains software information to indicate what you used to edit (or even resize) an image. For example, Hipstamatic, Photogene2 and several other iOS apps add entries, and Photoshop adds a number of entries, including version number. Also, with Nikons and Canons, you can actually have the camera insert watermarks and copyright information.

There are a couple of really good programs that allow you to view full EXIF data - I'll see if I can track one down for you. Apps on the iPhone only show a very limited subset. There can literally be pages (multiple 8.5x11 pages) of data collected. Also included is a thumbnail version of the image.

I can't speak to how useful it is (I don't know anyone who really uses it actively).

Hope that helps.

Bob
Thanks Bob!! Very helpful! :D If there was something out there that listed the apps you used on a photo, now THAT would be awesome. :thumbs:

Thanks Bob!! Very helpful! :D If there was something out there that listed the apps you used on a photo, now THAT would be awesome. :thumbs:

That would be great, but most iPhone programs erase the EXIF data altogether, or they replace the listed application(s) with only their own (e.g., Hipstamatic).

Egraphic said:
That would be great, but most iPhone programs erase the EXIF data altogether, or they replace the listed application(s) with only their own (e.g., Hipstamatic).

:sneaky:

At the moment I use the ExifWizard app. It holds most of the info you might need. I've posted some snap shots of the information from a photo shot with Hipstamatic. Depending on what camera app you use, the amount of data varies.

Attachments

• image-2522695316.jpg
    image-2522695316.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1891738808.jpg
    image-1891738808.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image-1498851997.jpg
    image-1498851997.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image-3243229220.jpg
    image-3243229220.jpg